Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Monofoil or "riding stabless", setup and riding

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:54 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:06 am
Nice feedback.
Did you had to change the AoA of the main wing compared to with a rear wing ? What is the impact on low wind planning limit ?

I would think the difference is not noticeable !

The stabilizer got so little downlift, and today most use it with very little so it still stabilizes - but does not make the foil pop "up" like on planes or beginner foils with lower (lower = more down lift) stabilizer AOA.

For the same reason the planing limit will not really be changed either - but you get less drag and more performance if you can ride sufficiently steady, no doubt :thumb:

I did not notice any difference when I rode stabless on mine - but Horst will be able to answer this better of course :D

8)

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1987
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:10 pm

Nice flying man! :thumb:
I find it interesting your fore aft stance seems almost the same as if you used a stab.
It even looks like the center of lift is in front of the L E?
R H
I posted years ago that I thought mono wing KBHFs would come along but thought "special" design would be needed, but looks like this master does just fine with out!

Horst Sergio
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Favorite Beaches: Every puddle I can find in Central Europe,
the unpopular the better
Style: SLOW STYLE & stuntkiting
Gear: Just MONOFOILS, no training wheels ;-)
OZONE chrono, FLYSURFER sonic²/r, CONCEPTAIR wave
Brand Affiliation: KITEJUNKIE.com 's prank monkey

Postby Horst Sergio » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:36 pm

Hi everybody and thanks for the interest,

@revhed:
I was surprised myself that even the high AR (think about AR 7) old "Aspect 3.0" wing now worked pretty well, as I tried it an year ago and thought it is just to hard.
I was thinking and discussing about ideal monowings with people like kite designers, not being noobs like my in hydrodynamic. But on the end the result was always:

Easy is:
big low AR wings as for example the levitaz cruizer, which is the easiest I know. All other ideas as sweeped back wings or high offset towards wing tips, can be helpful for normal airplanes, paragliders, kites ... but potentialy have no relevant effect if balance point is not about 1 time below wing span as on paragliders, but about 4 times above wing!
So there is maybe just human brains regulation capability and processor speed to count on :D AND, not to forget: to make the situation for its bodies and muscles as compfortable as possible:

Stance and AoA:
@Regis-de-giens:
AoA is not changeable for Levitaz system, but an pretty important point. First my stance is with mono strut full in front, front screw of back strap directly over struts trailing edge, with moderate stance. With stabi strut about 3 cm more to the back which should be roundabout the compensation of pressure point movement with and without stabi. Just finding this and maybe a bit experience enlarged my regular speed range significant, as if you compare this one with now often above 30 km/h with older tracks shown
Monofoil-Freeride-Freestyle-Tour.jpg
Track was first 8 km upwind than about 15 km downwind, than upwind again and freestyle on the end, see track picture at:
http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19 ... 3&start=60

But even more important is to have a angle of actually calculating with 3 degrees set not inbetween wing and strut, but inbetween stance (upper deck) and boards lower deck, as also today I see many racers use it for a more compfortable riding position respecting balanced load through both legs under high load. While my load is normaly not so high, it is even more important to have both legs close to straight in the most challenging "high speed" moments at around 33 km/h to be able to push this limit further.

About lowering drag and low wind planning limit:
I believe that I was even able to feel the difference of the new reinforced levitaz strut bases-wing-connection compared to the old with smaller frontal area (around 1 cm² difference maybe), why I kept the old weaker struts. The experience with my old race foil, I was riding with fun for two days, once again was like: Oh, it is so more draggy and needs so much more kite power to get going and difficutly to reach high angles against the wind in the low end. ... But I don't have any real numbers to show, just a few tracks with high upwind angles which may show that it is not just a feeling.

But to maybe get clear values, I have set up this topic to ask for them, if somebody else can give it to us:

http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2399994

Return to “Hydrofoil”