Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cabrinha Apollo Rider Reviews and Experiences.

forum for kitesurfers

Juan M
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Buenos Aires - Argentina
Favorite Beaches: Brazil - North East
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Cabrinha Apollo Rider Reviews and Experiences.

Postby Juan M » Wed May 30, 2018 8:47 pm

I am a freerider, learning to jump and to ride small waves...

Dylan comment is very bad for my Apollo choice ...

do you have a more optimistic opinion about the Apollo performance?

I think turning speed should not be an issue since I am focused on the 7m size... smaller = more speed?

Thanks you both!

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle and Airstyle
Gear: Liquid Force NRG, FS Speed 4 Lotus, Pansh Aurora II,
RRD Poison, Axis Ltd, RRD BS45, SS Glide, SS Ankle Biter
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby FLandOBX » Wed May 30, 2018 9:27 pm

Juan, I have just started using the 2017 Apollos. So far, I've spent time using the 12m and the 9m. I have a 7m that I haven't had a chance to use yet.

The Apollo is comparable to the Ozone Edge. They are both extremely high aspect LEIs that are good for racing and foiling, among other things. I agree with Dylan that, for racing, they probably can't keep pace with the high aspect race foil kites now on the market. But for hydro-foiling, they have the advantages of being inflatable (for some, this is an advantage) and much less expensive than ram air kites.

As xoen says, they are also great kites for boosting, hang-time, and airstyle. That is why I chose them, and I haven't been disappointed. The hang-time is significantly better than other LEIs I've used, and I can easily loop these kites (including the 12 m) as aggressively and quickly as my "faster" LEIs. The 7 m will not be a slow kite, if only due to its small size.

So if you want to focus on boosting, hang-time, old-school (and possibly hydro-foiling at some future date), the Apollo is a good option, especially at current prices. I've found that these kites have a surprising degree of stability in gusty conditions, they re-launch easily enough, and they have a lot of wind range. I would not recommend the Apollo to someone interesting in wave riding or unhooked wakestyle, but for the limited purposes listed above, you'll be happy with one, IMHO.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17, Flite 12, Prodigy 9.5, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing, Mako 150
Brand Affiliation: XL Kites

Postby SENDIT! » Wed May 30, 2018 10:30 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:27 pm
Juan, I have just started using the 2017 Apollos. So far, I've spent time using the 12m and the 9m. I have a 7m that I haven't had a chance to use yet.

The Apollo is comparable to the Ozone Edge. They are both extremely high aspect LEIs that are good for racing and foiling, among other things. I agree with Dylan that, for racing, they probably can't keep pace with the high aspect race foil kites now on the market. But for hydro-foiling, they have the advantages of being inflatable (for some, this is an advantage) and much less expensive than ram air kites.

As xoen says, they are also great kites for boosting, hang-time, and airstyle. That is why I chose them, and I haven't been disappointed. The hang-time is significantly better than other LEIs I've used, and I can easily loop these kites (including the 12 m) as aggressively and quickly as my "faster" LEIs. The 7 m will not be a slow kite, if only due to its small size.

So if you want to focus on boosting, hang-time, old-school (and possibly hydro-foiling at some future date), the Apollo is a good option, especially at current prices. I've found that these kites have a surprising degree of stability in gusty conditions, they re-launch easily enough, and they have a lot of wind range. I would not recommend the Apollo to someone interesting in wave riding or unhooked wakestyle, but for the limited purposes listed above, you'll be happy with one, IMHO.
I agree with everything he said. The Apollo maybe isn't as easy to relaunch as a Switchblade, but there's not THAT much difference there. The big sizes like the 14 and 16, yeah, at the BOTTOM of their wind range, pretty difficult. But the smaller ones, 12 and down, are easy enough to relaunch and plenty fast. The hangtime on the Apollos is definitely similar to an Edge, but with less bar pressure.

Where they are probably almost the worst kites, with the exception of foils, are for wave riding. Not so drifty... ;)

Return to “Kitesurfing”