2000f
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: SEastern USA
Gear: 2016 Liquid Force 3m Trainer Kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Where are all the used trainer kites? And other newb questions

Postby 2000f » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:38 am

Maybe you can find a buddy or two to share the trainer with? You could share the cost & learn together.

IBaKiteboarder
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Emerald Isle, Indian Beach ("IB"aKiteboarder), Bogue Sound, all in NC
Style: BAFing (still learning)
Gear: Slingshot Rally 9, 12, Turbine 15
Misfit 136, 146

Postby IBaKiteboarder » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:12 pm

I'd say sell the old windsurfing stuff too, but I know you'll only get pennies on the dollar for it. Been there done that :( You'll be able to kite twice as much as windsurfing in FL... assuming you shortboard and aren't just cruising around on a longboard.

Regarding the trainer kite topic, I started with a 3m 2-line kite. Then learned to fly a real kite with a couple of lessons and by flying my 12m on the beach in very light wind about 1/2 dozen times. I have always thought that for someone that comes from a sailing/windsurfing background (like us) and already understands the wind and aerodynamics of sails/sailing, the 2-line kite is almost a waste of time... almost. I can see where it helps some, but I've always thought that a small 4-line trainer with sheeting etc would be way more valuable for learning. There's a big difference going from a 3m 2-line to a 12m+ 4-line that you'd use in a lesson. That said, I can see why ppl just get the 2-line; they're cheap and you don't use them much again. If you have the ability to landboard or snowkite, then the 4-line definitely could be the way to go.

p.s. - I also built a landboard during my windsurfing days. I trashed it long ago after converting it to a sled with 4 ski tips :), but now that I kite I wish I still had it! A small 4-line kite would be perfect.

My disclaimer: I've only been kiting for two years, but those are my observations and opinions.

2000f
Rare Poster

Postby 2000f » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:40 pm

I just flew a 2 line trainer yesterday for the first time. I'm inland, with no kite experience, and nobody to get lessons from here. (Charlotte, NC)

I thought I wanted a small 4 line kite, but didn't want to spend $400+ for it. Since I'm beginning in an inland field, instead of a beach with steady wind, I think the 2 line was a good choice for me. It was slightly intimidating unrolling the new kite and seeing a bunch of lines, sorta nice I only had 2 to connect and keep untangled while I watched the kite crash over & over as I tried to learn to launch the first time. I finally "got it" on the 4th or 5th try, and quickly figured out how to steer. Since the wind wasn't steady I had to try and figure out how to keep it in the air, I guess "hunt for the wind". The kite came down at least 10 times, because the wind died or the kite ended up in places that I couldn't recover from (out of the wind window, I think?). So, I feel like I learned some good stuff yesterday, and was happy it was a 2 line kite.
I'll keep practicing, reading here & watching videos to learn what I can. Eventually I'll end up at the beach & get a lesson or 2 and buy 4 line kites & boards.

JakeFarley
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Florida West Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip, custom 140 x 50 strapless twintip/skim

Postby JakeFarley » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:17 pm

IMO don't buy a trainer kite unless you get a fantastic deal (less than $50). Just take the lessons and use the instructor's/school's kites. You will learn SAFELY. I've seen people with the larger "trainer" kites get dragged and endanger others on the beach. A 3m kite going across the power zone in high winds can generate a lot of power.

I cannot emphasize it more - TAKE LESSONS - you will learn a lot quicker and be safer and happier.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:22 am

JakeFarley wrote: ...
A 3m kite going across the power zone in high winds can generate a lot of power.
And that's why they make land-boards and buggys ; to pull Ya with a 3m when
the wind direction is wrong for kiteboarding !

Bille

2000f
Rare Poster

Postby 2000f » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:26 am

I don't know how to post images here yet.

It's orange on the top and white on the bottom (where the lines are). It has 15 cells.

I just noticed an Ozone 4 line trainer for $200 with handles on ebay. Wish I'd bought it....

I'll wait until I get a lesson before wasting anymore $$$. Looks like you can get a nice quiver of last year's or slightly used kites on ebay, ....if you know what you're looking for. :wink:

dimip
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: All over Naxos Island
Favorite Beaches: Glyfada Beach,
Amitis Bay
Style: My style :p
Gear: Griffin kites, Shinn monk, Rrd barracuda, F-one mitu

Postby dimip » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:04 pm

Forget 2 lines go for a normal inflatable small kite 6-7m with short lines 10-12m and average to low wind conditions for the beggining and you keep the kite after for those windy days...

2000f
Rare Poster

Postby 2000f » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:57 pm

It doesn't matter which kite you have if there's no wind.... :(

I need to move to the beach. Or get an RV and "follow the wind" :) :) :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”