Game changer - Onewheel teaches how to turn on a foil

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

haiku
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Re: Game changer - Onewheel teaches how to turn on a foil

Postby haiku » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:30 am

Aaaaaaand I totally agree. OneWheel: lots of fun and a good training for foil boarding. I mainly ride with It on the beach just to avoid injures.

Cheers

Carlo

Oldman_Dave
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: Ozone Edge & Zephyr kites
Nobile Board
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Oldman_Dave » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:45 am

Just be careful guys. At 40 I got into long distance pump skateboarding. Had a real nice custom board (Roe Triton with don't trip poppy trucks etc) bought a 2nd shorter pump board, soda factory with all the gear inc special bushings at $20 each. One of those bushings split and dropped out mid carve, dropping board onto front wheels. 2 operations later and I have 2 straps and 12 screws holding my elbow together, permanent nerve damage, all sorts of fun stuff. I'm back to playing on water these days.

jumptheshark
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:56 pm

It's an entirely electronically dependant single wheel vehicle. What could possibly go wrong?

People need to be reasonable with their expectations of the machine their ability and the durability of their bodies.

Can you go screeming down killer terrain at warp speeds cackling all the way like a demon high on adrenalin, sure, you can get into wing suit flying too.

Like a motorcycle, or a kiteboard, there is a humoungus amount risk in getting on a onewheel. To a large degree it is manageable with a bit of common sense.

Ride at a pace that you can jog off when you mess up. Avoid traffic. Ride on softer surfaces. Signal your intentions to others clearly. Have a never faltering understanding of how hard pavement actually is. Wear protection. etc etc etc.

Kiteboarding isn't for everyone and neither are onewheels. For those willing to manage their risk appropriately, they are both a hella good time.

I will say that in three years of heavy use, my first gen onewheel has not malfunctioned.

I have however been injured doing both kiteboarding and one wheeling, and will continue to do both as long as physically possible.

fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR

Postby fun2kite » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:35 pm

0yvind,
Love your videos mate. Watch all of them as they come out :)

Where in Thailand are you based and where is your home beach? I go to Pranburi at least once a year. Your spot looks a bit like Hua Hin , but not sure.

Øyvind wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:17 am
Yes, I agree OneWheel is Lots of fun, and does feel a bit like riding a foil on the road
phpBB [video]

Return to “Hydrofoil”