Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Shorten the Chicken L. on 2015 Best GP-bar?

forum for kitesurfers

merl
Medium Poster

Shorten the Chicken L. on 2015 Best GP-bar?

Postby merl » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:05 pm

Has anyone ever tried shortening the chicken loop on a best GP bar? I expect you can buy a shorter loop, but wondering whether it is possible to do a DIY job...

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Shorten the Chicken L. on 2015 Best GP-bar?

Postby knotwindy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:12 pm

Not sure about the Best (if you even need to) but if you can splice you can shorten almost any line.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Tobay beach, NY
Bayville, NY
Oak beach, NY
Gilgo beach, NY
Plumb beach, NY
Style: big air, freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.

Postby jeromeL » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:51 pm

merl wrote:Has anyone ever tried shortening the chicken loop on a best GP bar? I expect you can buy a shorter loop, but wondering whether it is possible to do a DIY job...
Looks like it's pretty easy to do, if you have the right loop, it's definitely a diy job.
http://www.bestkiteboarding.com/en-us/s ... stick-2015
I haven't done it myself but make check if the new loop has the right ending, some of them have a rectangle thingy and some of them it's a circle (talking about the ring end you have to re engage when you quick release. Not sure if square end is compatible with circle one or vice versa.

People who tried my bar where like "you have got to change the chicken loop right away, it's too long", but I kind of like it.
It's easy to stay fully powered ;) and on kiteloop you are less likely to sheet out when you get scared. I don't really like when your arm are too close to body when fully sheet in.
I am beginner for unhook but on that one you can't complain that it's hard to rehook.

merl
Medium Poster

Postby merl » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:16 am

knotwindy wrote:Not sure about the Best (if you even need to) but if you can splice you can shorten almost any line.
Well, yes, if it was a bare line then I am sure it would be easy. Splicing is fine. But the point is that you want to be able to remove the plastic cover, which has various other plastic bits on it, and shorten that as well, and put the thing back together again afterwards. I am not sure I want to get half way through before realising that I can't put it back together without duct tape. It would be great if someone has actually tried this...

VB705
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: VA/NC
Gear: Best, Slingshot

Postby VB705 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:05 pm

I just swapped mine for the short loop as well. Pretty easy to change and it only cost $20.

grigorib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, IL; Ogden Dunes, IN; Michigan City, IN; South Haven, MI; Tawas, MI; OBX; SPI
Gear: Kites: 2012 Slingshot Rallys, Slingshot Turbine, Flysurfer Speed4, Best Kahoonas, Peter Lynn ARC
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Spleene Door 59, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, MHL Lift, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 54", Slingshot Coupe 6', Ocean Rodeo Mako, MBS Comp 95x

Postby grigorib » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:22 pm

merl wrote:
knotwindy wrote:Not sure about the Best (if you even need to) but if you can splice you can shorten almost any line.
Well, yes, if it was a bare line then I am sure it would be easy. Splicing is fine. But the point is that you want to be able to remove the plastic cover, which has various other plastic bits on it, and shorten that as well, and put the thing back together again afterwards. I am not sure I want to get half way through before realising that I can't put it back together without duct tape. It would be great if someone has actually tried this...
Last year when I got my RP bars they appeared having too long of a chicken loop too but then I've got used to it and stopped noticing it. Just bought a pair of Cabrinha 1x fixed Trimlite bars - those have the sweetest chicken loop and QR setup, not talking about plastic wrapped depower line. You should try them!

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Postby edt » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:12 pm

You have to be a little bit careful with the best gp bar splicing might not be enough. Notice that the donkey dick is attached to the chicken loop so if you just take that entire thing out and replace it with a spliced line covered with nylon tubing you'll loose the donkey dick and some find that donkey dick useful. I had another bar that was a bit similar to this (a naish not a best gp) and when my chicken loop broke, and I had to replace it, I ended up losing the donkey dick too as it was sewn to the plastic tubing and I couldn't get it off without tearing it, so now I ride that particular bar without a donkey dick. It's not a problem if you just tear it all apart, splice both ends, get new tubing if you don't need the donkey dick. If you want the donkey dick then I would buy a shorter chicken loop from best just to be safe.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge

Postby knotwindy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:56 pm

or sew a piece of Velcro to the donkey dick and wrap it on the bar instead of the chicken loop. lots of options here.

merl
Medium Poster

Postby merl » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:02 pm

Did it. Easiest way would be to reuse the old plastic tube. That way you can keep the chicken dick. I didn't need it so used a new bit of tubing. See attached pics.
Attachments
IMG_1079.JPG
IMG_1077.JPG
IMG_1076.JPG
IMG_1075.JPG
IMG_1074.JPG

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Postby edt » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:09 pm

good job

Return to “Kitesurfing”