Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How do you rig your lines ?

forum for kitesurfers

How do you rig your lines ?

A/A - Side to the wind, both when alone and when other kites on the beach.
28%
B/B - J shape, both when alone and when other kites on the beach but try to launch immediately then.
1%
B/A - J shape when alone, side to the wind when other kites on the beach.
No votes
C/C - Lines and bar downwind both when alone and when other kites on the beach but try to launch immediately then.
41%
C/A - Lines and bar downwind when alone, side to the wind when other kites on the beach.
12%
D/D - Lines and bar upwind both when alone and when other kites on the beach but try to launch immediately then.
10%
D/A - Lines and bar upwind when alone, side to the wind when other kites on the beach.
8%

Total votes: 78

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 99
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Alkita boards
Zeeko foil
GK Trix
Enduro9
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast

Re: How do you rig your lines ?

Postby bragnouff » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:45 am

My trusted setup routine is slightly different, and I embarked in a Paint session from hell to explain it!
Quick, clear and fool proof!
It's a bit like D, but with a much cleaner connection to the bridles and 5th line and all.

Assuming the spot isn't insanely crowded, I'd prepare my lines before pumping my kite. This leaves me a choice to change kite size till the last minute (all kites on same bar), and reduces flapping time to the bare minimum.
Kiterigging1.png
Pump up kite
Kiterigging2.png
Put pump away and all...

Kiterigging3.png
Kiterigging4.png
at 4), If I had to have an assisted launch, I'd grab the kite myself and hand it over to the assistant in that same position on the side. This ensures that kite is roughly on edge of the window compared to bar, and also having some slack in the lines (due to the curve in the lines) guarantees that the lines are only tensioned when I decide it (by walking to the side). Good muppet-proofing!

(not shown here is the board or scoop of sand securing the kite on the ground)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:50 am

Good to see al our different "ways and habits" :D

How do you rig when crowded and tight bragnouff ?

Move away from the others if possible and the same way, or side to the wind ?

8) Peter

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:57 am

Laughingman wrote:You left out the option of not running your lines out to rig your kite...
Well, not really - you can still vote how you roll your lines/bar out, side to the wind or J or downwind or upwind :thumb:

And as I believe 0.05 % or less keep their lines attached on LEIs, it would not make much sense for the statistics to double the amount of choices :wink:

8) Peter

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 99
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Alkita boards
Zeeko foil
GK Trix
Enduro9
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast

Postby bragnouff » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:10 am

never crowded and tight! That's the whole point of living in NZ... ;)
If there's not 20m available into the wind on the beach (full tide or so), I would drift a bit more sideways into a J shape, but still would use my technique for the last few meters of lines and connection to the kite. That'd make it a sort of inverted J.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1987
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:14 am

Just yesterday witnessed ANOTHER line break because of rigging downwind and pulling lines over a random sea shell damaging just enough to cause breakage minutes later!
As I had just met person in question I explained side wind set up and we even found the shell, there were very few, and there was plenty of space on the huge beach to side rig, another one sees the way!
Not to say that side can also lead to line damage just much less.
R H

topmick
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
Sunova

Postby topmick » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:25 am

I rig similar to bragnouff but I pull the bridle upwind of the leading edge before connecting my lines. (Making sure there are no twists)
This way I can see my lines are correct, then move kite to launch position.
I've tried rigging sideways but find in high wind the lines get blown dwind & it becomes harder to check visually, so imo there's more chance of a fuck up.

Slappysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003

Postby Slappysan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:01 pm

Laughingman wrote:You left out the option of not running your lines out to rig your kite...
Even if you use a line manager or keep your lines attached you still have to "run out" your lines before you launch unless you are drift launching.

BillyKP
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Georgian Bay
Favorite Beaches: Wasaga, Lake Simcoe, Cuba
Style: freestyle
Gear: OceanRodeo
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby BillyKP » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:45 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:Doing it in exactly the same way each time is a good thing and definitely a sane habit, as it will minimize mistakes, and you can do it easily and without sudden "mess" :rollgrin:

The downside is, as we can see here, that because many "refuse to do it otherwise than the way THEY want to", it gets messy at tight spots with many kitesurfers :x

With currently 45 votes:

60 % of us always rig so we might block other kitesurfers, even when many kites :o
40 % rig side to the wind, when many other kites, and good to see that in fact more than half of us pay attention to others and change from up or down to side when other kites on the beach :thumb:

I think it is a bit sad though, to see that most of us dont give a sh.. about how we might mess up for the rest :(

Could be fine with some more consideration about others, and learn at least two ways of rigging lines :D

8) Peter
Good post ! Good topic ....Ya its gets hectic for sure when there is bunch of us... but I think its just the nature of kiteboarding. There are a few "dont give a sh.." ..but a lot of people don't understand all the chaos and how to work inside that jungle. We are all eager to rig up and get out there and we are sometimes blinded by that excitement. Even if you try to lay your lines in way that is courteous to others, its inevitable someone will land their kite, as their lines fall over yours...just as you are getting ready to launch. In many spots we go, there can be a lot of confusion and "head shaking" , "rolling of the eyes etc etc...but most guys are pretty decent and eager to help lift lines off kites, launch and land and sort things out when it gets tight. Depending on my mood that day, it can either drive me crazy, or sometimes it just makes me laugh watching the antics

skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Powered Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 8m/10m/12m
Zephyr 17m
Mako 150

Postby skullcandy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:42 pm

Its not that hard - When crowded, rig cross and wind your lines up when taking a break. If its not crowded and plenty of space (defined as you have a large circumference of space in all directions around you), then rig however you want.

Most kiters who are mindful of others will respect the launch area. Those who arent are the ones making this a topic of conversation.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Postby edt » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:32 pm

i always use J because I self launch so much but I guess I'm the only person who does it this way. I always pump up first because if it's windy (25+ knots) your lines will turn into a rats nest if you don't launch right away after setting up the lines so that's just a habit I have now.

I never cross lines. It's easy enough to understand to leave the red on the right on some launches and red on the left for others right? For a foil I set up direct downwind like others do, and hot launch the foil as it doesn't have much power until it fills up.

for landing I pull the QR a lot if I am solo. It's as good of a time as any to test the QR.

If everyone at a busy launch is setting up a particular way like downwind or upwind I will do whatever everyone else does, less confusion.

Return to “Kitesurfing”