hawaiianpunch
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None

Interchanging Bars with Kite Brands

Postby hawaiianpunch » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:21 pm

Hi there,

I ride all North kites, I just bought a 4 line control bar to go with my Dice. I'm considering picking up a Slingshot Rally (also a 4 line kite).

Rather than purchasing a Slingshot bar, does anyone know if I could just ride with my North bar? I imagine the split ("v") of the front lines might vary from brand to brand. Would this even matter considering front lines are just static? I could probably adjust my depower to make sure the kite doesn't stall..?

Any chance someone might have the measurements of where Slingshot front lines "split"?

Thanks!

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Re: Interchanging Bars with Kite Brands

Postby edt » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:37 pm

You just have to go out there and try it. Unfortunately there's no database that tells you which bars work with which kites. The manufacturers have no interest in mixing and matching that is north would never test on a slingshot bar or vice versa. Adjust your depower like you said and maybe the pigtails and such give it a shot.

hawaiianpunch
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North

Postby hawaiianpunch » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:10 pm

Cheers thanks!

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:42 am

Several previous threads hashed this out ad nauseum. The split height is irrelevant, some people have posted diagrams of the extremes, but in practical application it makes no difference. Basically any modern 4-line kite will work with any modern 4-line bar. At most you'll need to fiddle your pigtails on your kite by a cm or so.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:07 am

and occasionally deal with single front line vs double front line (mini 5th) release but this is getting less common as most are moving to single line which will work with almost any kite now.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:41 pm

you can use any 4 line bar on any 4 line kite. The only thing you will need is some pig tails to either lengthen the front or back lines (plus whatever kook proofing they have on the kites)

I used Slingshot bars on all my kites, ozone and Flysurfer.

ColdWeatherKiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Kakumäe, Estonia
Favorite Beaches: Hyeres, France
Gear: Gaastra Jet 13m 2013
Naish Park 9m2 2014
Liquid Force Element 136x41.5 2017

Postby ColdWeatherKiter » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:52 pm

Split height does make a difference, it adjusts the angle at witch the main lines pull the kite inwards. When the split point is low, the angle is quite mellow. When the split is high, the angle is bigger. A real life example: i flew my naish park 2014 (needs low V) on a high Y gaastra bar and trimmed the kite not to stall. It still flew like shit. It does make a difference. It makes a bigger difference on smaller kites. Also depends on the kite, my high Y gaastra kite flew okay on a naish bar. It seems that low V bars work okay on high Y kites, but not vice versa.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:21 pm

Tone wrote:you can use any 4 line bar on any 4 line kite. The only thing you will need is some pig tails to either lengthen the front or back lines (plus whatever kook proofing they have on the kites)

I used Slingshot bars on all my kites, ozone and Flysurfer.
Spot on, and no, split height does not make any difference (apart from the trim maybe, which is a bit different from bar to bar anyways), in the normally used setups.

So you can use any bar on any kite, just with pig tails maybe, to change trim and polarisation if reversed :thumb:

Go ahead, it will be fine with your North bar, no problems :rollgrin:

8) Peter

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Any gear is good gear as long as it has nothing to do with EPIC!

Postby alexeyga » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:27 pm

edt wrote:You just have to go out there and try it. Unfortunately there's no database that tells you which bars work with which kites. The manufacturers have no interest in mixing and matching that is north would never test on a slingshot bar or vice versa. Adjust your depower like you said and maybe the pigtails and such give it a shot.
Here, quick and dirty (edited):
KITE-BARS.jpg
*not claiming that it's perfect
*having to add 2m pigtails wasn't considered as "compatible"

Toby, we should make a sticky thread and forget about this topic for a good while.
Last edited by alexeyga on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

styleito
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: ito
Gear: Too much and not enough

Postby styleito » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:07 pm

alexeyga wrote:
edt wrote:You just have to go out there and try it. Unfortunately there's no database that tells you which bars work with which kites. The manufacturers have no interest in mixing and matching that is north would never test on a slingshot bar or vice versa. Adjust your depower like you said and maybe the pigtails and such give it a shot.
Here, quick and dirty:

KITE-BARS.jpg

*not claiming that it's perfect
*having to add 2m pigtails wasn't considered as "compatible"

Toby, we should make a sticky thread and forget about this topic for a good while.
I don't agree with the Ocean Rodeo column of your chart.
Their kites all come with 2 short pigtails in the bag. I add them to the kites' rear line connections and fly them on my Best bar.

Return to “Kitesurfing”