Gear: Rebel 9/12
Neo 7/9
Cabrinha Secret weapon
F-ONE Trax HRD
Naish Orbit
Brand Affiliation: None

North entity binding on Naish board

Postby BernieTomic1 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:54 pm

The NTT binding does not fit on my Naish Orbit door.
Are these two brands not supposed to be compatible?
With struggle, I can basically find one placement that fits, but there is no choice in width and angle.

I bought the NTT because the Naish Apex is too small for shoesize 45 and thicker booties, which I need in Scandinavia in winter, but unfortunately it looks like North and Naish don't use the same standard.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Re: North entity binding on Naish board

Postby edt » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:16 pm

the modern binding space is 6 inches, anything made in the past 2 or 3 years will be at that size, except for one or two cases. I believe your naish orbit might be using one of the older spacings? If that's the case it would probably be at 6.5 inches instead of the modern 6 inch spacing. If I'm right this means you are facing a problem caused by older bindings and boards not being on the new standard not a model problem. New North bindings will also be on this new 6 inch spacing standard. 6 inches in 15cm, 6.5 inches is 16.5cm. Get out a measure and measure the spacings here just to make sure that's what is going on. If this is the problem well, if it were me, here's what I would do, I would buy a new Naish Orbit (well, I don't think they make this model anymore, but whatever door is used now). I like to switch bindings around on my boards, and have given up on the boards with the older spacings. You might be able to find or build and adapter plate or search around for new old stock bindings.

BernieTomic1
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Gear: Rebel 9/12
Neo 7/9
Cabrinha Secret weapon
F-ONE Trax HRD
Naish Orbit

Postby BernieTomic1 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:39 pm

edt wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:16 pm
the modern binding space is 6 inches, anything made in the past 2 or 3 years will be at that size, except for one or two cases. I believe your naish orbit might be using one of the older spacings? If that's the case it would probably be at 6.5 inches instead of the modern 6 inch spacing. If I'm right this means you are facing a problem caused by older bindings and boards not being on the new standard not a model problem. New North bindings will also be on this new 6 inch spacing standard. 6 inches in 15cm, 6.5 inches is 16.5cm. Get out a measure and measure the spacings here just to make sure that's what is going on. If this is the problem well, if it were me, here's what I would do, I would buy a new Naish Orbit (well, I don't think they make this model anymore, but whatever door is used now). I like to switch bindings around on my boards, and have given up on the boards with the older spacings. You might be able to find or build and adapter plate or search around for new old stock bindings.
It is the 2014 Naish Orbit. Can not measure right now, but you are probably right.
I am not sure why a 2016 Apex binding would fit on it then however, which should be adapted to the new standard? Those two go together well.

Just checked, and there is a 2017 Naish Orbit!

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Postby edt » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:42 pm

yeah sounds weird that a 2016 binding would work. That should also be 6 inches. Anyway, measure it figure out what your spacing is you can go from there.

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003

Postby Ludmil » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:21 am

Are you sure NTT bindings are w/ standard spacing ?
Maybe the problem is vice versa... North's system is rail designed, no inserts.
I remember when I got NTTs, in order to upgrade my North team board (probably this one was the last one with inserts) and even on their board the issue was the same as you describe.

L.

Dan-at-North
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Taranaki, Baja
Style: I crash. Often and with panache.
Brand Affiliation: NKB Rep, West Coast/Canada/Baja

Postby Dan-at-North » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:31 pm

NTT bindings are designed for use on our Track system but should be mountable on most boards with fixed inserts. The slots where the screws go through the baseplate are not parallel, so while you have an infinite range of stances when used on a board with Tracks, you will generally only get one stance option for the pads when mounting to a board with fixed inserts (you will still be able to adjust the other options like foot width, how far forward/back the straps sit on the pad etc). It is the same setup when mounting our NTT combo on our Gonzales (our one board that still uses fixed inserts). You lose the ability to fine-tune duck and vertical/horizontal fine tuning of pad placement, however for me the option afforded by the inserts on our Gonzales works great, I would hope that the option on your Naish board would be the same.

-Dan

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003

Postby Ludmil » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:16 pm

Dan-at-North wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:31 pm
NTT bindings are designed for use on our Track system but should be mountable on most boards with fixed inserts. The slots where the screws go through the baseplate are not parallel, so while you have an infinite range of stances when used on a board with Tracks, you will generally only get one stance option for the pads when mounting to a board with fixed inserts (you will still be able to adjust the other options like foot width, how far forward/back the straps sit on the pad etc). It is the same setup when mounting our NTT combo on our Gonzales (our one board that still uses fixed inserts). You lose the ability to fine-tune duck and vertical/horizontal fine tuning of pad placement, however for me the option afforded by the inserts on our Gonzales works great, I would hope that the option on your Naish board would be the same.

-Dan
Exactly. That was it.
I rode like this for a while and it wasn't a problem.
Limits the possible options for this nice pad and strap combo could offer...
I hope the OP didn't opt for a new board instead, as suggested above :)
L.

Return to “Kitesurfing”