Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Airush Ultra: one strut kite that meets expectations of a foilkite fan

forum for kitesurfers

Regis-de-giens
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Almanarre, France
Style: 62 kg , light wind
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 15&12, Elf 11 &7, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, Rally 6&4.
foil Ketos, Zone, OR mako, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Airush Ultra: one strut kite that meets expectations of a foilkite fan

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue May 16, 2017 11:57 am

The current best alternative to foil kite IMO. I have not tested, but I am convinced it will be a wonderful light wind kite : more agile than a foil, more prone to jumps than a strutless but still with very limited weight ( so certainly not the same extreme low end on a HF, bot fot TT above 8-9 knot, no worry I think) ;

I am only a bit concerned with the fatigue of the dynema wire included in the canopy. So, one's should avoid unnecessary flaps ( sheet-in when quick turns and don't let the kite flapping on the beach since monostrut flap a lot if not weighted with a lot of sand)

borist
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby borist » Wed May 17, 2017 3:04 am

Demoed 9m for about 30-40 minutes, perhaps not long enough. Kite floats well, power generation is ok, I saw it flutter (I wear earplugs) but did not feel it, turns well. Its gust behavior was not as smooth as I'd like (it was gusty). So for me OR Flite or similar design is more in my alley.

gbrungra
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Stinky's, San Diego, CA, USA, and Nantucket, MA, USA
Gear: Griffin 17m TRX 2014, Cabrihna 12m Vector 2014, TTs, Camet 160 and SS Hoverglide

Postby gbrungra » Wed May 17, 2017 6:13 am

tegirinenashi wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:59 pm
Starsky wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:16 pm
...I think its very valid to point out that some of the single strut kites are more show than substance. The LF solo has never shown itself to be very light or quick and it shows when you fly one next to a cloud. In my opinion the solo was a simple knee jerk reaction without much thinking through the use of materials and construction to fully embrace the concept. Its a kite like any other with a couple fewer struts....
Yes, I often doubt they [kite designers/manufacturers] know what they are doing.

Exhibit#1: humongous inflation valves on light wind kite:
valve.png
This is understood, using the same valve among all the product variations is simple, so why bother?

Exhibit#2: Self rescue handles (AKA "safety handles" on that Airush Ultra). I did self rescue enough times to assert those are just useless dead weight.

Exhibit#3: "Integrated Dyneema". It seems that Airush designers thought that normal canopy is not heavy enough, so they were compelled to add those strings. That may be harmless for normal kites, but why not to revisit this decision for light wind kite?
Looks like the "safety handles" could be cut off? If the stitching isn't being used to join any other fabric panels, only to hold on the handles?

fabdimo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Garda
Style: Freeride
Gear: None

Postby fabdimo » Fri May 19, 2017 7:18 pm

I'm very interested on this kite,maybe I'buy a 15 mt but I bon't want to buy another bar. What do you think about the compatibilty of ULTRA 15 with a SS compstick bar sentinel 20" with 23 mt lines?

Fabrizio

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: North, Firewire/Tomo, Loyd, Ion

Postby Da Yoda » Fri May 19, 2017 8:11 pm

fabdimo wrote:What do you think about the compatibilty of ULTRA 15 with a SS compstick bar sentinel 20" with 23 mt lines?
The 15m is best flown with a 24" bar, so a 20" will work ok, it'll just be less responsive when turning. At 15m, I'd prefer as much response as possible, but at the end of the day it's all personal preference.
I'm not sure, but you may have to reverse the pigtail attachments to match. :thumb:

flaps1111
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Safor Beaches and Costa Blanca, Valencia, Spain- Tarifa.
Favorite Beaches: Playa Blanca Cancun, POP republica Dominicana. Medano TFS, Sotavento and Flag beach FUE.
Style: Freeride, HF, kitesurfing strapless
Gear: Custom AA freerace and surfboard, Moses 425 AA HF.
Kites: North fuse 9m, 12m Noth Dyno 18m, Airush Ultra 12m, LF Solo 12m, Ozone Chrono v1 12m.

Postby flaps1111 » Sat May 20, 2017 8:05 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 11:57 am
The current best alternative to foil kite IMO. I have not tested, but I am convinced it will be a wonderful light wind kite : more agile than a foil, more prone to jumps than a strutless but still with very limited weight ( so certainly not the same extreme low end on a HF, bot fot TT above 8-9 knot, no worry I think) ;

I am only a bit concerned with the fatigue of the dynema wire included in the canopy. So, one's should avoid unnecessary flaps ( sheet-in when quick turns and don't let the kite flapping on the beach since monostrut flap a lot if not weighted with a lot of sand)
Why do you think it is best alternative to strutless kites, just for jumping..more depower capabilities? I think it's heavier than any strutless.

Regis-de-giens
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Almanarre, France
Style: 62 kg , light wind
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 15&12, Elf 11 &7, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, Rally 6&4.
foil Ketos, Zone, OR mako, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun May 21, 2017 9:40 am

yes heavier indeed so zenith ability will be a bit better on strutless. But strutless kites are often a bit limited when more charged , so higher winds or jumps are in favour of at least one strut for someone who also want to use it the"standard way" with TT riding which is my case. So one strut seems the good compromise before switching to foilkite for lighter winds. For some one only freeriding /surfing/carving on a foil without jumps nor speed, strutless may be a good option, but I personnally prefer the flight quality of foil kites under 10 knots.

f2020
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Phuket
Favorite Beaches: Phuket
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Taaroa Sword2 / RS
Ozone R1V2 15M
Cabrinhas Switchblade 6,8,9,10,12M

Postby f2020 » Sun May 28, 2017 12:35 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:14 am
alexrider wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:35 pm
Snip....
Paradoxically, for hydrofoiling, I'd rather get an Ultra instead of a foilkite for the lightest conditions, because it gives you the kiteloop kick in the butt you need to get in the air.
Snip....

Actually not true, the LEI kites turns way better than the "slow dog" foil kites yes, but the race foil kites still gives you more kick when looped thus you can start earlier on these, no doubt :thumb:

Having said that, I prefer a light LEI any time, over the peak power racefoil kites (got both), because they are so much more fun in every way - and IF it goes down, no problem as you can just take it easy and either wait for a puff to relaunch, or drift comfortably ashore for a relaunch.
So much more fun, and no worries.

I was fortunate to try a 6 m2 Ultra in January (hydrofoiling), a really pleasant kite, turned well, drifted well, good power on demand and can spill power too, no flapping - a really nice encounter and definitely a choice many has been waiting for - a way more refined kite than the (older) Airush One that also was loved a lot amongst the early hydrofoilers :D

8) Peter
I disagree here. I ride wit both 18M Velocity and 18M Chrono V2 for months in light wind on hydrofoil. The LEI gave a bit more kick during kiteloops. Having said that I prefer the foil kite for light wind condition as they make you go you faster and more upwind after the water start. What's more important in super light wind condition is the length of your lines. Longer lines will make the kite loop on a bigger arc, thus gain more speed and power during the water start.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun May 28, 2017 8:37 am

Not sure I understand f2020, what do you disagree with ???

I say the foil kites starts earlier, and perform better - isnt that what you say too, faster and more upwind ?

But I assume you will agree that for freestyle and carving fun the LEIs are great, or do you prefer the slower powerful foilkites for this ?
And to avoid swim packdowns too when light he hee :naughty:

Or is it because you find the LEI gives you more kick (power) ?
No way, unless you use too short lines, the race foil kites got such immense powerkick when looped around that you get pulled out of your socks if you had some :rollgrin:
Especially the smaller and medium sized high AR foil kites has by far the most kick of all kites - have you tried these ?
Maybe your kites are too big, so you don't get the same spike ?

8) PF

pikovsg
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: West Dennis, Pleasure Bay, Chapin, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe. Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul
Gear: BRM Cloud, Lift foils, LP, Temavento, Levitaz, Moses, Concept Air Pulsion, North, Slingshot, Cabrinha, Flysurfer, Ocean Rodeo, Onewheel, Evolve GT, Ollin Freeride

Postby pikovsg » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:55 pm

Just got the 2017 15m Ultra - looks siiiick. 7lbs exactly for the kite and bridles, which is a pound heavier than strutless BRM Cloud 17m. Going to test test it in ultra light wind today, but already think this is the golden light wind unicorn hydrofoil LEI kite every foiler's been waiting for. :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”