Cape Hatteras in May

forum for kitesurfers

keegster17
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Cape Hatteras in May

Postby keegster17 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:46 pm

Hi, curious about Hatteras in May. last time I went to Avon, which was nice and laid back, I went late September. Now looking to go again in May, but would like to try maybe a different location. Is there an area someone could recommend, that might be a little more lively in the evening, better restaurants but still good kiting for a advanced beginner. I loved Avon and the area, but looking for just a bit more at night to do, and some better local food and nice beaches. Going with big family, kids 12-16, and 4 adults

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Re: Cape Hatteras in May

Postby tmcfarla » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:14 pm

I think you'll pretty much have to stay north if you want more attractions. I haven't kited north of Oregon Inlet in years, as I hate the outer Banks until I get South of Oregon Inlet (and then I love the place) but as I recall there are some areas where you can kite. Honestly though, if the laid back atmosphere doesn't work for your family, maybe try a different place altogether- while there are parts of OBX that try to do the "fun-for-the-while-family-with-mini-golf" thing (e.g. Kill Devil Hills), those place just end up being pretty terrible and I think the wind is less good. South Padre Island, Texas is a place that is pretty cool despite being kitschy and over-developed.

yowobx
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: none
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere in Hatteras
Long Bay TCI
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby yowobx » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:08 pm

Yeah, if you want stuff to do, stay in Nags Head, makes sense with kids. We will be there in late May but are just there for the kiting/beach/SUP and maybe some offshore fishing. We stay in Frisco because the beach is gorgeous (better than Avon in every way), the houses aren't as close together as Avon and the water is warmer, believe it or not. But there is even less to do in Frisco and Hatteras than Avon.

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby markchatwin » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:33 pm

Yeh I've got a similar rig: kids (8,10), adults and a May 20th Hatteras trip coming up. We've done it twice a year for 4 years now and choose Rodanthe (Mirlo Beach) for our base. We keep saying we will try Avon or Nags Head or Frisco but we come back to Mirlo for these reasons: Nice little launch in the neighborhood, safe for kids to ride bikes, play some tennis, super short walk to sound or ocean, houses with a pool (not on sound or ocean) are cheap in offseason, views are spectacular (even in non sound front or oceanfront houses). Negatives are no Food Lion except for a 25 minute ride to Avon and 35 minutes to Nags Head. Restaurants are slim except for the excellent Watermen's Grill at REAL and Goodwinds at Kitty Hawk Kites. A few others as well (Lisa's Pizza for ex).

Yes during a 7day stay we drive up 2 times or so to Nags Head and do a movie or some mini golf for kids. We have done the Lighthouse in Buxton, the Ferry to Ocracoke, The Wright Bro Museum, Manteo Aquarium.

I kind of look at the Hatteras trip as a time to relax so we really load up the car with everything we need, tons of food, and just hole up in Rodanthe. But soon that launch at Mirlo will have the bridge obstructing everything so this mouse will need new cheese soon. If your up in Nags Head the Jockey Ridge State Park Public Beach (near Dimitri's house) is a great launch for most wind directions except maybe N, NE, E. Surprisingly I've had great NE sessions in Mirlo though a drift launch is necessary or a buddy launch.

Return to “Kitesurfing”