Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Corpus Christi
Style: carving freeride
Gear: Wainman punch
LF overdrive
Brand Affiliation: None

Filling out Quiver--light wind

Postby flatwater » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:49 pm

Hi all. I’ve been kiting coming up on a year. 80 kg, pretty solid beginner/intermediate skills, though I’m still trying enough new stuff to crash pretty regularly. most interested in refining boosts and carving skills for surf. Mostly ride TT but have a surfboard also.

I need some advice on a kite for lighter wind days. My 1st kite and still my go-to is a Wainman punch (10.5 m, 2015). Works great for me from 20-30 knots or so. I also picked up a north Rebel 8m (2010?) for 30+ which flies very differently—still getting used to it but I like its liveliness.

For light wind I’ve got a slingy Turbo II (14m, 2007?) Its been a good kite for light wind and learning but aside from being very old, it turns super slow, I can’t boost it to save my life, and when the wind picks up its gets a mind of its own and really doesn’t respond well to turn inputs.

So I’m looking for something to replace it with that will allow me to boost decently in say 14-20 knots (above that I’m happy with the wainman) and yet not get completely out of control in gusts of say 25.
I’ve demoed a RPM 12 and a 14 m DNA and feel like either could work for me but not slam-dunk choices. The DNA turns nicely but had a pretty huge bar pressure (esp for the light conditions I was testing—maybe 10-12 knots). The RPM flew well enough (much stronger day ~20 knots) but I’m concerned it will not be different enough in power from my 10.5

I’m less interested in staying up in super light air than I am with enjoying/ exploiting 15-20 knots. Also, I have some concern with having a quiver where every kite handles completely differently from the other. I’m enjoying trying new things and figure I’ll learn something from each but is this likely to slow down my progression significantly?

Any thoughts on these 2 (RPM, DNA) ? There’s also a 14 m Catalyst on my radar, though its more expensive. Also willing to entertain other suggestions.

Thanks!

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear:

Re: Filling out Quiver--light wind

Postby dylan* » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:11 pm

isn't the DNA a beginner's kite?

I wouldn't even consider a 12, it'd be really close to your 10.5... something like a 14 or 15 would probably be a good fit. The 14 RPM is still pretty fun to fly. Maybe also consider the 14 lithium instead of the DNA, it turns really fast for a big kite. I think the 14 turns faster than either of my other 12m kites.

BOEMIX
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: chrono v2 15m & 9m, Catalyst 7m, enduro 10m, edge 13m, access 6m
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Shinn Ronson 138x42, King Gee 150x50 and Ketos Foil freeride2

Postby BOEMIX » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:39 pm

I think you should consider the Ozone Edge. I have the 13m (I,m 90 kg) and is a kite that start going at 12 knots with a normal sized twin tip ( mine 138x42) and when hitting 15 knots it starts to boost superbly well, but at 25 knots maybe u aren't touching the ground :rollgrin:

I had a 12 m catalyst before and for me it felt like it had no power to move my fat 90 kg ass. Allaround c-ish kites are my favourite until 10m and down. Bigger than that i feel like a higher aspect kite like Ozone Edge are the best choice but for me boosting and upwind is far more important than turning speed. Flysurfer Boost also looks so sweet for light wind freeriding, although I haven't tried it.

flatwater
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Corpus Christi
Style: carving freeride
Gear: Wainman punch
LF overdrive

Postby flatwater » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:42 am

I've heard the DNA is essentially a Lithium without the one-pump and with simpler graphics, and yes, popular as a school kite. It did turn well but I didn't like the heavy bar pressure. Not enough wind on demo to test boosting.

Thanks for recommendations and discussion.

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:04 am

Something cheap and Interesting for you to try - add between 10-20m of extra line length to your existing kite and see how much that improves your low end.

I regularly ride a 5m kite now with 3 bars depending on wind - under 14 knots 36m lines, 15-25 kts with 27m and then 21 M after that.

With a hydrofoil it's basically a 1 kite quiver.

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .

Postby socommk23 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:54 am

Have you considered a foil kite? 15m would work well in 12 to 18kts with plenty if boost.

BrunoC
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: OBX
Style: Freeride
Gear: various

Postby BrunoC » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:03 pm

Ocean Rodeo Flite in 14.5M. Plenty of reviews on this forum if you are interested...just search Flite

Nem0
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: Fone Diabolo + Flysurfer Speed4 Lotus and Boost2 and Peak2 + Zian + Anton Bullet + Paipo

Postby Nem0 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:25 pm

BOEMIX wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:39 pm
Flysurfer Boost also looks so sweet for light wind freeriding, although I haven't tried it.
Hello flatwater, I'm on the same weight as you.
I own a 13m Boost2 from Flysurfer. In my point of few it'll fullfill all your requirements best. It has a real windrange from 10 to 30 knots. Great lift and hangtime with less barpresure! Turning speed is fine and with line extensions you can extend the lowend. If you want to pay less, surch for Boost1. It's very close to the Boost2.
It looks like you use your kites in the higher Part of the Range. So you also could go with the 15m!?!

Palawandan
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Milwaukee
Favorite Beaches: Palawan
Style: Learning
Gear: Liquid force envy,

Postby Palawandan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:40 pm

Try a F-one Bandit 17 m, it turns fast lots of grunt will haul a 180# butt on a TT in 6-9 mph real time, I have one

Skywalker7
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Sostó
Favorite Beaches: Ulcinj
Style: Freeride
Gear: I have 14 kites, covering most of the major brands.

Postby Skywalker7 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:04 am

Probably the best choice would be the 13M Boost 2. Other than that any higher aspect race kite would boost you pretty high like Ozone Edge or Cabrinha Crossbow but these race kites turns slower than the Boost and it is not that much fun to fly them. They fell out from the sky a bit more easier (if you jump under them)since their drifting capabilities is kind of zero. So for general freeride boosting the Boost 2 is hard to beat but most 5 strut kite will do okay I guess. Also the new Turbines could be something like that, but I never tried one, so can't comment on that.

Return to “Kitesurfing”