Looking for awesome kite to go with my nugget

Forum for kitesurfers
borist
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Looking for awesome kite to go with my nugget

Postby borist » Wed May 24, 2017 6:41 pm

You did not mention your riding style - do you play in waves or mostly freeride in flatter water? that would make recommendation easier. from the 2 you mentioned, Edge will go upwind better and faster and jump little bit better, but will be harder to relaunch and trickier to handle in very light and puffy wind until you get hang of it. OR Flite turns better, relaunches easier, is more user friendly and more like your Pivot. I'd go 14.5 for sure. In light wind you need horsepower.
I own both (Edge 2015, Flite 2016) and prefer Edge in general because of the type of performance it delivers with foil and lighter bar pressure of the two. My gut feel is that you will find Flite friendlier option though.
Switch Helium is a good budget option.

SamPolish
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Isle of WIGHT
Gear: Whatever flys
Been thanked: 0

Postby SamPolish » Wed May 24, 2017 8:05 pm

Thats exactly how i feel, 5 strut kites are a bit heavier so no go, super stable in higher winds, 1ers maybe but somehow want to get a flite due very positive opinions.
Ocean rodeo suppert recommended me 12 meter but its just to close to 11 I already own.
I will sleep on it for a few nights and update results or a review once flown new kite a few sessions.

SamPolish
Rare Poster

Postby SamPolish » Wed May 24, 2017 8:12 pm

I still consider myself beginner, freeriding in flat and chop but for sure have tendency to push freestyling part into my riding style. I feel that snowboarding background helped progress quick as 360s, jumps, switch riding and general body positioning dynamics helped me a lot to feel comfortable on tt and the nugget. It's some how similar.
Bigg ups to you all.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Wed May 24, 2017 8:57 pm

I weight the same as you.

With a 15m Juice and the Nugget in 5'2" (or a 5'2" Vanguard) I can push down into the 4-6kt lulls. Still wanting to try a North Mono 12m in that hovering around teens range. I'd say if you already have a 11M don't get a 12M kite even if it's a monostrut or race kite (like the edge). Definitely get something at least 13M or bigger in a no strut, monostrut, 3 strut or race kite.

Also riding in sub 12knt wind takes some other kite handling skills that are kinda unique to ultra low wind riding. So if you are flailing when other people are out on the same size as you it might just be you need to learn the low wind tricks

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu May 25, 2017 6:19 pm

Sam,

Do not get a 12. You need a 14 or 15 kite.
I've kited for years on a 8-11-14 quiver at 80 kg. On surfboards and TT.
These days I'm on a 7-9-12 quiver. Sold my beloved Core XR2 17lw because I have a hydrofoil now.

hudstur
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Delray Beach, Florida
Boca Raton, FL
Boynton Beach, FL
Lighthouse Point, FL
Favorite Beaches: Delray Beach, FL
Hood River, OR
Floras Lake, OR
Cape Hatteras, NC
Napeague, NY
Bahamas
Kauai, Hawaii
Canada, PEI & Georgian Bay
Traverse City, MI
La Ventana, Mexico
Cabarete, DR
Florida Keys
Style: Directional Waves, Freeride, Foilboard
Gear: OCEAN RODEO Duke 5’4”, OR Flites, FOne kites, SS Mixer 5’10”, Litewavedesigns Kick S.

Postby hudstur » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:10 pm

Go with the Ocean Rodeo for sure, You will be the envy of the beach. Probably the Flite 12m.

SamPolish
Rare Poster

Postby SamPolish » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:18 pm

Got 14.5 on order but none in stock yet. Waiting a week now and might take another one before it arrives. Took a bigger one as will give me some more hang time and will use it with snowboard once we move to Scotland. Cant wait now. Thx for everyones input so far

Return to “Kitesurfing”