Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Alkita boards
Zeeko foil
GK Trix
Enduro9
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast

rescuing a foil board

Postby bragnouff » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:00 am

When someone is struggling with his kite in the drink, doing a deep water pack down, and his board drifting downwind much faster than him, (assuming you care) how would you retrieve his board?

I got confronted to that situation yesterday on a Side shore wind with a tiny bit of onshore on it. Board about 300m away from the shore, would have ended probably 2 or 3km down the beach.
After riding nearby for a while to keep it in sight and assessing his situation (struggle relaunching/ definitely won't relaunch/ pack down & swim), I went back up/square-ish to the wind to the shore, left my own foil on the beach, body dragged out downwind to his board, and rode it back to where my board was, for a happy reunion.

Not really sure you could retrieve it like you would retrieve a twin tip, it's heavier, bit more leverage underarm due to the foil, awkward appendix, didn't seem like a good idea.
Not sure you could tow it either, first because there's nowhere to hook a leash, and also because I assume it would go berserk on the tow.
All this made a bit more complicated due to the fact that wind was light, not much luxury in parking the kite in the air while messing around anything.
What would you do?

irwe
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: rescuing a foil board

Postby irwe » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:37 pm

I have had similar situations in the past, when the kite goes down in light wind (not enough to relaunch) and the foil board is drifting down wind faster then me and the kite. My solution in light winds is to now carry a thin rope with a clip on one end and the other end attached to my key tie in my boardshorts pocket. I also have a short looped rope on my leash plug.

This way if the kite goes down I can quickly swim to the board and clip to it so I don't loose it. I can then either relauch the kite if the wind picks up or drift with all my gear back to shore.

I have found the safety leash line too short to use as a drift line.

On my custom foilboard I had a plug put on the nose so the board so it can drift easily with me instead of drifting backwards on my other board attached to the rear surf leash plug.

bacon2109
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Favorite Beaches: around Montreal
Style: freeride
Gear: flysurfer, ozone,best,griffin

Postby bacon2109 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:07 pm

I'm learning foiling now and got cauth in a similar sitiation. In fresh water with small current. Around Montreal, Canada.
Speaking with other foilers, some carries swimming fins and even a big plastic bag!!!!! the one that are using foil kite going for miles and miles run.
Yes, they all wear PFD.
Some have VHF radio, smoke flare, Marine GPS........here we have to carry a whistle, but that for 25meter or more no one can hear you, even less in strong wind.
If in trouble, hardware or wind, with this minimun stuff (swimming fins/bag). either on your self or small backpack.
the bag is use to store the foil kite ( deflated ) with the least amount of water possible. close the bag and you end up with a big buoy , not dragging a anchor.
After the kite secure in the bag, put the fins on, retrieve the foil and go back to land.
Maybe not good in open sea with waves.

DAnderson
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: SWFL
Gear: .

Postby DAnderson » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:37 pm

irwe wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:37 pm
I had a plug put on the nose so the board so it can drift easily with me instead of drifting backwards on my other board attached to the rear surf leash plug.
I was considering sticking one of these on the nose for that specific reason

http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/v ... tegory=153

Jzh_perth
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:46 pm

Yeah this is a problem. I have carried a spare leash on occasion to secure the board if I need to.

K-Roy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless foil
Gear: Fone Bandit and Diablo V.1

Postby K-Roy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:47 pm

hey,
to answer your question, if the other board is a foil as well, I would probably try what you did. Other boards I would lay on top and body drag.
To minimise the possibility of this situation, when I'm in trouble, first priority is to get to my board. That thing has a mind of its own and its never to my liking. Then I attach my leash to it, till I sort out the kite.
(Fone has a leash plug at the front)
Since I foil a lot on my own I also carry a mobile phone, just in case.

cheers
Last edited by K-Roy on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 99
Zeeko foil
GK Trix
Enduro9

Postby bragnouff » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:50 pm

Good tips for NOT losing your own board, but this doesn't answer the question, which was about retrieving someone else's runaway board.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 99
Zeeko foil
GK Trix
Enduro9

Postby bragnouff » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:55 pm

K-Roy wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:47 pm
(Fone has a leash plug at the front)
I think that's a good idea, and as far as I know, F-one would be the only company to do that. Should it become more widespread? There used to be a time where it was mandatory for windsurf boards to have a tow attachment at the front. (In France at least)
You probably want to tow that with a fairly long line so as to stay well clear from the erratic movements of the board in tow.

junebug
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Gear: North Fuse 10m2
Nobile 555 137cm

Postby junebug » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:57 pm

irwe wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:37 pm
On my custom foilboard I had a plug put on the nose so the board so it can drift easily with me instead of drifting backwards on my other board attached to the rear surf leash plug.
If you would, please walk me through your thinking here. It seems to me like the attachment point for the spare leash would be better at the rear of the board so it can drift downwind nose forward.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:07 pm

bragnouff wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:00 am
When someone is struggling with his kite in the drink, doing a deep water pack down, and his board drifting downwind much faster than him, (assuming you care) how would you retrieve his board?

I got confronted to that situation yesterday on a Side shore wind with a tiny bit of onshore on it. Board about 300m away from the shore, would have ended probably 2 or 3km down the beach.
After riding nearby for a while to keep it in sight and assessing his situation (struggle relaunching/ definitely won't relaunch/ pack down & swim), I went back up/square-ish to the wind to the shore, left my own foil on the beach, body dragged out downwind to his board, and rode it back to where my board was, for a happy reunion.

Not really sure you could retrieve it like you would retrieve a twin tip, it's heavier, bit more leverage underarm due to the foil, awkward appendix, didn't seem like a good idea.
Not sure you could tow it either, first because there's nowhere to hook a leash, and also because I assume it would go berserk on the tow.
All this made a bit more complicated due to the fact that wind was light, not much luxury in parking the kite in the air while messing around anything.
What would you do?

I think you did the best thing as it was sideshore and not that far out so you could put your own board on the beach.

We often experience something like that, but further out (as otherwise no need to help) and not in sideshore as we avoid these winds usually.

The kite goes down, and the board is dolphining away downwind from the rider.

If my friends board is relatively close downwind, I ditch my own board a bit to the side of him/her, loop down to his/hers board and either sail or boarddrag it up back.

A much better and safer way though, is to give your board to your friend to sit on, while you loop down to the runaway board and get it back.

This way you both will have flotation no matter what happens, and you dont risk one of the boards end up ruined on rocks when dolphining ashore by itself.

Even if the wind stops fully, you both have boards to sit on and can take care of when reaching the shoreline.

And usually you end up having your own boards both of you, he/she can drift safely ashore steering the course with the kite LE down pulling one rear line, and by pointing the mast (it gives an amazing control over where you will end up), while you can ride again yourself, maybe even back to shore and run down to help if a risky shoreline he/she is drifting into :thumb:

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”