Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

I like riding with a safety leash because it makes me feel safe, does anyone else admit that?

Forum for kitesurfers
DWX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Travel only
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, St. Peter Ording
Style: free/wave
Gear: ❤️Core/Carved❤️Forever❤️
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: I like riding with a safety leash because it makes me feel safe, does anyone else admit that?

Postby DWX » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:11 am

alexrider wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:01 am
In case YOU are serious, Kiteforum User Control Panel allows you to:
Manage foes
Foes are users which will be ignored by default. Posts by these users will not be fully visible. Personal messages from foes are still permitted. Please note that you cannot ignore moderators or administrators.
DWX wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:39 pm
alexrider wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:30 pm
Troll post.
Seriously? Like any of you jokers ever have anything yugely important to say here :roll:
Don't take yourself too seriously, Doc
Thanks for the advice! I tried it, but blocking doesn't work as well on forums as it does on social media. Not that helpful, alas.

I wish ppl would abstain from posting tasteless stuff, but what can you do...

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet

Re: I like riding with a safety leash because it makes me feel safe, does anyone else admit that?

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:57 am

FLandOBX wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:27 pm
Hey, LetsFly. This thread has generated a wide range of reactions. That might be because the meaning of "safety leash" isn't clear. It could be a board leash, or it could be a kite leash. So, in an effort to salvage the thread, here's a response that distinguishes the two.

Board leash: I have never used one for kiting. It would make me feel unsafe.

Kite leash: I always use one. I use it not so much for safety, but to protect the investment in my kite. I suppose I feel slightly safer knowing that I'll always have some flotation in an emergency if my LEI is leashed. Because I usually don't kite in crowded places, the safety of people downwind isn't much of an issue for me (beach umbrellas without a tether are more dangerous). But my true motivation (yes, I admit it) is that I don't want to lose my kite. :thumb:
I'm sorry man, but if you have trouble distingushing the difference between a safety leash and a board leash then you my friend, are what they call a "kook". You see a board leash is not safe, it can hit you in the back of the head. That's why a lot of kooks use them, so they can show everyone else how stupid they are in the water. And trust me, they do a very good job of it. So tell me right now, do you have trouble distingushing the difference between a safety leash and a board leash?

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:29 am

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:24 am

LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:57 am
FLandOBX wrote:
Hey, LetsFly. This thread has generated a wide range of reactions. That might be because the meaning of "safety leash" isn't clear. It could be a board leash, or it could be a kite leash. So, in an effort to salvage the thread, here's a response that distinguishes the two.

Kite leash: I always use one. I use it not so much for safety, but to protect the investment in my kite. I suppose I feel slightly safer knowing that I'll always have some flotation in an emergency if my LEI is leashed. Because I usually don't kite in crowded places, the safety of people downwind isn't much of an issue for me (beach umbrellas without a tether are more dangerous). But my true motivation (yes, I admit it) is that I don't want to lose my kite. :thumb:
I'm sorry man, but if you have trouble distingushing the difference between a safety leash and a board leash then you my friend, are what they call a "kook". You see a board leash is not safe, it can hit you in the back of the head. That's why a lot of kooks use them, so they can show everyone else how stupid they are in the water. And trust me, they do a very good job of it. So tell me right now, do you have trouble distingushing the difference between a safety leash and a board leash?
Seems like you're having trouble distinguishing the difference between a board leash/leg rope and a reel leash. Board leashes/leg ropes are usually only used by experienced riders/pros who understand the inherit risks of using one.
And, as FLandOBX already pointed out, kite leashes don't offer the rider much in safety and can be more dangerous if it's not easily accessible.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:44 pm

iblocalsurfer wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:24 am
LetsFlyaKite wrote:
FLandOBX wrote:

Seems like you're having trouble distinguishing the difference between a board leash/leg rope and a reel leash. Board leashes/leg ropes are usually only used by experienced riders/pros who understand the inherit risks of using one.
And, as FLandOBX already pointed out, kite leashes don't offer the rider much in safety and can be more dangerous if it's not easily accessible.
You're going to offend the cool guy and insult his two years of experience saying stuff like that :o

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:16 pm

iblocalsurfer wrote:
LetsFlyaKite wrote:
FLandOBX wrote:

It doesn't matter what kind of board leash you have, they're all the same. Just because you think "Oh, I got this high tech board leash, nothing will ever happen to me now!" doesn't mean it's any safer than having a chain strapped to your foot. Anytime I see someone riding with one I know to stay the hell away from them, because they are bad news. It also tells me that they are too lazy to body drag back to their board, or maybe they can't.
iblocalsurfer wrote:
kite leashes don't offer the rider much in safety and can be more dangerous if it's not easily accessible.
Wrong! Kite leashes are there for your safety and the safety of others. And what do you think should be done if it's not easily accessible? Come on, I know you can think about what should be done. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:46 pm

LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:16 pm
iblocalsurfer wrote:
LetsFlyaKite wrote:

It doesn't matter what kind of board leash you have, they're all the same. Just because you think "Oh, I got this high tech board leash, nothing will ever happen to me now!" doesn't mean it's any safer than having a chain strapped to your foot. Anytime I see someone riding with one I know to stay the hell away from them, because they are bad news. It also tells me that they are too lazy to body drag back to their board, or maybe they can't.

iblocalsurfer wrote:
kite leashes don't offer the rider much in safety and can be more dangerous if it's not easily accessible.
Wrong! Kite leashes are there for your safety and the safety of others. And what do you think should be done if it's not easily accessible? Come on, I know you can think about what should be done. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

By the sound of your comments, you must be at the newbie stage. I doubt you have the skills to kite in area where most/all of the riders are wearing board leashes anyway. So, it's probably better you do stay the hell away from them. I'm sure they would appreciate that. :thumb:
Kite leashes, on the other hand, are there to protect your kite and others around you. And, aside from what FLandOBX already pointed out, don't offer the RIDER any real safety.

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:44 am

iblocalsurfer wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:46 pm
LetsFlyaKite wrote:
iblocalsurfer wrote:

iblocalsurfer wrote:

By the sound of your comments, you must be at the newbie stage. I doubt you have the skills to kite in area where most/all of the riders are wearing board leashes anyway. So, it's probably better you do stay the hell away from them. I'm sure they would appreciate that. :thumb:
Kite leashes, on the other hand, are there to protect your kite and others around you. And, aside from what FLandOBX already pointed out, don't offer the RIDER any real safety.
And from the sound of your comments, you are in the ignorant, kook stage. The stage that no one wants to deal with. It also sounds like you are easily offended when I talk about board leashes, which leaves me to believe that you wear one. Which I don't have a problem with, I just think of you like I do a cock roach. A discusting creature that I avoid. It takes a real man to body drag back to his board, something that you probably know nothing about...

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:09 am

LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:44 am
iblocalsurfer wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:46 pm
LetsFlyaKite wrote:

And from the sound of your comments, you are in the ignorant, kook stage. The stage that no one wants to deal with. It also sounds like you are easily offended when I talk about board leashes, which leaves me to believe that you wear one. Which I don't have a problem with, I just think of you like I do a cock roach. A discusting creature that I avoid. It takes a real man to body drag back to his board, something that you probably know nothing about...

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Gear: Switch
FireWire

Postby topmick » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:53 am

Fucking Troll, don't waste your time.

Return to “Kitesurfing”