Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

More about GPS devices

Forum for kitesurfers
alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

More about GPS devices

Postby alexrider » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:30 pm

After having tried and used many GPS brands and models (Garmin, Suunto, TomTom, Polar, GoLife...) my preferred device is the recently introduced Locosys GW-60 for the unique features no other brand that I know offers:
- 5 Hz data logging rate (5 times what others have)
- Doppler speed (generates spb files read directly by GPS Action Replay, the best track analysis tool)
- and most importantly, tracks are download directly to the computer (does no require internet)
I only wish it could display altitude and vertical speed as well, so it could be used as vario for flying as well. Perhaps with an upcoming firmware upgrade.

BTW, I just created a FB group for users of GPS devices to answer relevant questions, suggest improvements, report issues and post reviews.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1932513823670951/

Disclaimer: I am NOT a Locosys pimp.
Attachments
11220162s.jpg

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: More about GPS devices

Postby TomW » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:45 pm

A foiler around here bought one. He has moisture in it already after 2 sessions. It's still working though. Too bad they only have ATM 5. That's not sufficient. Needs ATM 10.
I'm using a Suunto Ambit, it's super robust and waterproof, but the GPS is less accuracy.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alexrider » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:03 pm

Read in a forum it's not recommended to press the buttons in the water.
I've had mine for two months; all fine. Got the Suunto Ambit 3 as well, but requires like all the other known brands to be connected to internet, so if you're trekking high in the Himalayas or kiting in a remote Pacific Island, it's of no use if you want to see your day's track. :angryfire:
Had another Suunto (forgot the name) a few years ago; the waterproofing rubber peeled after a few weeks of use. Same with Garmin Forerunner 205. :angryfire:
I don't know if the latest Casio WSD F-20, rival to the Garmin Fenix 5X, allows to download the tracks directly, but it has a really stupid feature for devices meant to be used in water or even if you're just sweating: the touch screen. Maybe it can be deactivated, in which case I apologise and withdraw my complaint.
TomW wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:45 pm
A foiler around here bought one. He has moisture in it already after 2 sessions. It's still working though. Too bad they only have ATM 5. That's not sufficient. Needs ATM 10.
I'm using a Suunto Ambit, it's super robust and waterproof, but the GPS is less accuracy.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:43 pm

I press the buttons on the Suunto Ambit in the water. When I'm starting and ending session. Sometimes I forget to start a session and do it out in the water.
The locosys has a great system, it's a shame they have not ramped up the hardware. The competition is nearly 2x the price, so I'd pay more to get ATM 10. The thing is that ATM 10 is not trivial design challenge, they may simply not know how to do it and do Qc.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:17 am

The speed demons recomend that the Gps stamp on the watch is facing upwards on your leading arm, for most accurate speed recordings.
There is also an extension strap available so it can be worn on your upper arm.
Tie a bit of string to it just in case the strap breaks..
I think it would be good to put a wide Velcro strap on it if possible :thumb:

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alexrider » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:23 am

What do you mean? What's missing in the hardware? It seems more advanced than the competition, with 5 Hz data rate and Doppler. Did you mean firmware with its somewhat unfriendly UI? Or you wish to see Bluetooth, Wifi, and that sort of not really useful stuff? The only thing I'd want for the next version is an accurate pressure sensor of the type you've got on variometers, so the watch can be used as a flight instrument for paragliding and hang-gliding as well. But I believe it's not easy to achieve pressure sensitive devices that resist high water pressures as well.
TomW wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:43 pm
I press the buttons on the Suunto Ambit in the water. When I'm starting and ending session. Sometimes I forget to start a session and do it out in the water.
The locosys has a great system, it's a shame they have not ramped up the hardware. The competition is nearly 2x the price, so I'd pay more to get ATM 10. The thing is that ATM 10 is not trivial design challenge, they may simply not know how to do it and do Qc.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:59 pm

What I mean is that the hardware is not ATM 10. It is what is needed and the product will not stand up to its intended use if it's designed and tested for ATM 5. Unless they actually designed it to ATM 10, but are saying ATM 5 in spec to reduce product liability. If they did that then it might last, or not, you are gambling.

It's a shame they did this, it's so otherwise great product for our market.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:08 am

Im sure a sealed water proof unit cannot take air pressure readings accurately ?

coffeeking
Medium Poster
Gear: Waroo 9, Yarga 13.5, F-one Mach1 18.1, FS Speed5 12m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby coffeeking » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:02 am

alexrider wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:03 pm
it has a really stupid feature for devices meant to be used in water or even if you're just sweating: the touch screen. Maybe it can be deactivated, in which case I apologise and withdraw my complaint.
TomW wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:45 pm
I can't comment on accuracy of my device, as I've no other calibrated super sources to compare against (and don't really care that much as I'm not planning on seeing any records) but my Garmin touch screen works just fine in the sea, covered in rain or sweat, as does the HRM

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:10 pm

Suunto has barometer and ATM 10.
I'm not going to remote Pacific Islands or the Himalayas.... But to be honest I think theres Internet nearby these places.

Return to “Kitesurfing”