Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Cabrinha CO2 9.5m, Naish x2 14m, Litewave 161
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: JNJ 1st chinese KB Hydrofoil : 325 USD + shipment

Postby tegirinenashi » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:11 pm

About to hit the water.

Some thoughts for the vendor (JNJ):
1. Fuselage rigidity matters only for a front wing. Therefore, fuselage can be split as marked in green lines below, and can be attached with bolts.
mod.png
This would reduce package dimensions, which might reflect in lower shipping cost.

2. Now that size is manageable, think about putting the items into a bag. Adding a bag is a minor cost increase, but would greatly improve the product image. What you currently ship is ghetto level packaging.

3. List what items are included, so that customer don't have to go through the pile of garbage filler wondering if there is more.

4. Glue the plate to the mast. Yes, it would increase package height, but think about all those savings made at #1.

5. Wing covers would be nice touch, with negligible cost increase.

6. Add a second shipping method -- ground -- for those cheapskates who are not in a hurry. (AFAIK some people, who ordered hydrofoils at small builders, didn't mind waiting for their order execution several months.)

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:21 pm

...waiting for the land bridge to re-emerge in the next ice age for that ground delivery from Asia. But then it's gonna be too cold to kite. Or, global warming, oh no...
Global warming refund policy?

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:06 am

Looks pretty nice.

tegirinenashi
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Cabrinha CO2 9.5m, Naish x2 14m, Litewave 161

Postby tegirinenashi » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:31 am

Beginner testing fast foil board... First 30 min regressed about 10 sessions back to something like board-on-a-water phase. Gradually, was able to do decent flights to the direction parallel to chop. Then, the front hook broke off. After few futile waterstart attempts bodydragged to the beach, where I caught up with Rick. He is full 1 year ahead in hydrofoiling, so I loaned it to him for a quick spin. Hopefully, he'll tell his opinion.

From total beginner perspective, this is not the best learning board. It is not as forgiving at low speed, which I spend the most of this session on, and recovers from touchdowns not as gracefully. I didn't have the best day, though, so this might be subjective. Having said that, I'm not selling it, because I don't think price is going to stay that low (plus my time spent on "some assembly required").

To add more comparison to the beginner level LF Rocket foil:
1. Slightly less stiff
2. Way lighter (3.2 kg). Appreciated this little feature, because our launch site is 400 meters from parking lot.
3. When separated from the rider, it drifts downwind with about the same speed as Rocket (no need to bodydrag).
4. Sinks slightly slower than Rocket, plus being lighter, it is easier to hold it for waterstart.
5. Heard some buzz, slightly lower volume than wind noise (~20kn?). This can be anything starting from two surfaces in contact, to trailing edge cavitation. Hopefully, Rick can confirm, or refute it.
Last edited by tegirinenashi on Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

norcom
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:42 am

tegirinenashi wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:31 am
Beginner testing fast foil board... First 30 min regressed about 10 sessions back to something like board-on-a-water phase. Gradually, was able to do decent flights to the direction parallel to chop. Then, the front hook broke off. After few futile waterstart attempts bodydragged to the beach, where I caught up with Rick. He is full 1 year ahead in hydrofoiling, so I loaned it to him for a quick spin. Hopefully, he'll tell his opinion.

From total beginner perspective, this is not the best learning board. It is not as forgiving at low speed, which I spend the most of this session on, and recovers from touchdowns not as gracefully. I didn't have the best day, though, so this might be subjective. Having said that, I'm not selling it, because I don't think price is going to stay that low (plus my time spent on "some assembly required").

1. Slightly less stiff
2. Way lighter (3.2 kg). Appreciated this little feature, because our launch site is 400 meters from parking lot.
3. When separated from the rider, it drifts downwind with about the same speed as Rocket (no need to bodydrag).
4. Sinks slightly slower than Rocket, plus being lighter, it is easier to hold it for waterstart.
Thanks for the update!

Don't worry about feeling like a noob going from the LF Rocket to a fast foil. I went from the LF FunFoil to the Slingshot Ghost Whisper and first two sessions could barely keep it on the foil. I found my balance by the third sesh and it's 100x better than the LF foil.

norcom
Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:44 am

tegirinenashi wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:31 am

1. Slightly less stiff
Thanks for the update!

Don't worry about feeling like a noob going from the LF Rocket to a fast foil. I went from the LF FunFoil to the Slingshot Ghost Whisper and first two sessions could barely keep it on the foil. It just DROPS off the foil where as the LF has time to slow down to a crawl. I found my balance by the third sesh and it's 100x better than the LF foil. I no longer suffer from steep drops off the foil but when crashing at 20mph IT HURTS!

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:40 am

Any more feedback on the ride?
Maybe give 'Rick' a nudge?

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:52 pm

Contacted these folks about purchasing masts only .....they were asking $200 each....yet they sell the whole thing for $300...

kiterocky
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Best

Postby kiterocky » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:25 pm

Thats why big brand dont put much effort in hydrofoil... They know will become cheap to buy foil and not much business...

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Gear: BWS / Ocean Rodeo / Stringy Foil

Postby juandesooka » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:40 pm

NYKiter wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:52 pm
Contacted these folks about purchasing masts only .....they were asking $200 each....yet they sell the whole thing for $300...
Same for wings: Carbon SUP Foil Wings----USD216/set
Carbon Kite Foil Wings----USD172/set
$100 shipping (instead of $150)

So for extra $100 you get mast and fuselage shipped.

Return to “Hydrofoil”