Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2016 North Juice 18m Feel and Control Bar?

forum for kitesurfers

virk0918
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Sylvan Beach, NY
Favorite Beaches: Dorado, Sylvan
Style: New - Beginner
Gear: North NEO 7, 12 Ozone Zephyr 17
North Gonzales 142, Spike 164
Brand Affiliation: None

2016 North Juice 18m Feel and Control Bar?

Postby virk0918 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:13 pm

Hello all,

New to this site but it looks like there's a lot of experienced help out there so I figured I'd post a question...I'm looking at a 2016 North Juice 18m and I wanted to get some set-up advice...which control bar and line set-up would be better...2015 North Trust Bar 24m lines, 2017 North Click Bar 24m lines or something totally different? I understand the Click bar is 49cm and the trust bar is 53cm, but I've heard that both have been used and it's performed well...does anyone have any experience with this kite?

Quick background: Beginner, 7m, 12m NEO (17m Zephyra...maybe being replaced by the Juice), I'm 86-89kg and the place I ride has an onshore 7-15kn wind most days- great days are 15-25...lots of chop and small waves.

The Zephrya was good when I've had it out but I like the feel of the North kites a little more and I've been told the Juice flys like a bigger version of the NEO...true?

Thanks for any help in advance.

badgb21
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: C/Fly, Shinn, Ozone, Cabrinha

Re: 2016 North Juice 18m Feel and Control Bar???

Postby badgb21 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:05 pm

3-2-1 The foil gang are going to chime in and convert you to their ways!
Though you sound a prime target.
18m at 89Kg is a big kite! You sure you need such a big kite?
The Zephyr is known for it's higher wind range.
I'm a lot heavier and still find very diminishing returns over 15m.
I'm guessing if you got a foil board you wouldn't need another kite, but I'm sure they will advise accordingly.

Good luck with whatever you go with,

virk0918
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Sylvan Beach, NY
Favorite Beaches: Dorado, Sylvan
Style: New - Beginner
Gear: North NEO 7, 12 Ozone Zephyr 17
North Gonzales 142, Spike 164

Postby virk0918 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:31 pm

badgb21 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:05 pm
I'm guessing if you got a foil board you wouldn't need another kite, but I'm sure they will advise accordingly.

Thanks for your reply...I'm not sure about size, if you want to ride where I am more often you need a big kite...lots of 7-11kn days. A lot of the bigger guys here 190-220 have 17-18, and when the wind is up - 12-14m. For me, the NEO 12 is great once it gets past 12-14kn, I was just looking for something that rode a little more like the NEO and could get me out more often.

PS.FOIL's are tough where I'm at, I've only seen one guy use one, but we have lower winds, tons of chop and waves it just seems to me it would be tough to relaunch...I'm new, but I'm decent enough that the kite doesn't hit the water often. That said, I have 4.5m trainer ("water relaunchable FOIL", HYDRA 420) that I take out with friends, they crash it in 10 seconds and 7/10 times it hits the water, the water wins...huge pain in the as$.

Thanks again for the reply.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: 2016 North Juice 18m Feel and Control Bar?

Postby Toby » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:43 pm

7-11 knots is no wind! And 89 kg is some weight!

I ride my 18 in a sweet spot of 18-25 knots!

So don't worry about the 18 in your light winds! In these winds I even don't stay upwind with my 96 kg and small board.

badgb21
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: C/Fly, Shinn, Ozone, Cabrinha

Postby badgb21 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:50 am

I just looked up sylvan beach and now understand why you probably need a light wind solution.
At least you don't need to think about the tide!
Assuming the lake is relatively weed and debris free and deep enough, then foiling looks possible, maybe sometime in the future.
(BTW I don't foil)

Toby is an exceptional individual and talented kite surfer, known for using his 18m in higher winds. To the point where he has stated he has been challenged about launching such a large kite in the prevailing
wind, by someone who does not know him!
Until you become a little more experienced, your wind range on an 18m may differ from his ;)
Watch his video, it'll make you want his kite!

Everyone has their own opinion and taste for lightwind, from foiling with smaller kites to big kites with a big twin tip or directional board (or even a short board) and everything in between.

I have owned and flown many big kites, but not the juice, so can't comment about it's characteristics.
One kite which continues to get good reviews which I might be tempted to look at is the OR Flite 17m
I first heard about it on this vid and subsequent reviews sound like it's still a great kite. Light, large yet fast turning - I need to demo one!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OootDRvjQNM

One pain in light wind is the re-launch, which you have had experience of already, especially when it goes down in the water. Some kites are better than others at re-launching, but quite often it just sucks.
Shallow water on a light wind summers day will allow you to really finesse getting the thing back up!

There is nothing like trying a kite out first, but often this is difficult. If you find an option to do so, even if it costs you return shipping, it'll be worth it.

Cheers

badgb21 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:05 pm

Thanks for your reply...I'm not sure about size, if you want to ride where I am more often you need a big kite...lots of 7-11kn days. A lot of the bigger guys here 190-220 have 17-18, and when the wind is up - 12-14m. For me, the NEO 12 is great once it gets past 12-14kn, I was just looking for something that rode a little more like the NEO and could get me out more often.

PS.FOIL's are tough where I'm at, I've only seen one guy use one, but we have lower winds, tons of chop and waves it just seems to me it would be tough to relaunch...I'm new, but I'm decent enough that the kite doesn't hit the water often. That said, I have 4.5m trainer ("water relaunchable FOIL", HYDRA 420) that I take out with friends, they crash it in 10 seconds and 7/10 times it hits the water, the water wins...huge pain in the as$.

Thanks again for the reply.
[/quote]

Return to “Kitesurfing”