Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ideal kite to start with for the smallest kids?

forum for kitesurfers

Peert
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Pampus, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cypher 7 & Cypher 9, Reo 8m, Naish Trip 10m, Switch NitroII 10m Pansh A15 12m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, Mitu convertible 5.8 & TKF manta Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None

Ideal kite to start with for the smallest kids?

Postby Peert » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:30 pm

https://bigmikeskites.com/products/pete ... ainer-kite

Would this be the ideal kite to use for the first steps hitting the water for the smallest kids?
Seems ideal, no harness or safety that requires action. Just let go of bar. With a regular (smallest size) SB they could eventually try to get up on a board.

My experience with my oldest daughter is that the first meters where easier on a SB than a TT. Mainly because the start without footstraps on a floaty board requires less attention...

or6
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding, strictly strapless
Gear: RRD Religion

Re: Ideal kite to start with for the smallest kids?

Postby or6 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:35 am

I went to have myself advised on that very question for my nine year old. He knows how to handle a trainer Peter Lynn, on straps, not a bar.

Even though the shop in question sells that particular kite, they recommend an inflatable. Ozone Uno. Learning relaunch on the Uno prepairs you for the future. It flies like an inflatable...it is. trainer kites are extremely fast and zippy...etc.

He recommended the 4 meter Uno...the 2.5 I thought he would recommend is also too fast and twitchy. According to him...an instructor with lots of experience teaching kids. I had a very serious chat with him, we're talking about my kid...I couldn't fault his reasoning.

Training with a little foil is still good though. My boy loves his pl vibe. Today we're going to fly it on bar... curious to see what happens.

Regards, or6

or6
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding, strictly strapless
Gear: RRD Religion

Postby or6 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:38 am

Funny, btw, I was thinking the same thing about SB versus twintip. He doesn't, they teach on twintip, midsize.

I think many a kiteboarder thinks surfboards are only for advanced kiteboarders, that you have to start on twintip. Which is nonsense, really.

Peert
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Pampus, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cypher 7 & Cypher 9, Reo 8m, Naish Trip 10m, Switch NitroII 10m Pansh A15 12m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, Mitu convertible 5.8 & TKF manta Hydrofoil

Postby Peert » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:06 am

or6 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:38 am
Funny, btw, I was thinking the same thing about SB versus twintip. He doesn't, they teach on twintip, midsize.

I think many a kiteboarder thinks surfboards are only for advanced kiteboarders, that you have to start on twintip. Which is nonsense, really.
To keep them motivated it is important to make them feel the some asap. First meters on Strapless SB will in my opinion be easier than TT for the majority. Turning and getting back obviously not. But after the first 100 meters in SB my oldest was happy to get into the TT footstraps struggle again.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle and Airstyle
Gear: Liquid Force NRG, FS Speed 4 Lotus, Pansh Aurora II,
RRD Poison, Axis Ltd, RRD BS45, SS Glide, SS Ankle Biter

Postby FLandOBX » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:53 am

First question is, what is meant by "smallest kids"? The child's weight is important, of course, but attention span is critical. The key question is, can they listen and follow instructions? A typically sized 10 year old with good listening skills can easily learn to kiteboard, starting with a trainer kite on land and moving quickly to a LEI in the water. But a 5 or 6 year old is generally not prepared developmentally (physically or mentally) to learn kiteboarding. For those "smallest kids", a 1.5-2-meter 2 or 3 line trainer in light wind on a grassy open field or wide beach is usually the best option.

The Peter Lynn kite is interesting, but you'd want to use an LEI once the kid hits the water. The Ozone Uno and the Epic Junior Pro are good kid-specific LEI kites, but you can also find good LEI options in the small sizes of most of the major brands. Kids want fun, so make sure conditions are safe and ideal. Some kids learn incredibly fast, and it's always fun to teach a kid to kiteboard. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”