Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m
Brand Affiliation: None

Dwarfcraft first impression

Postby TomW » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:11 pm

Posted this in builders thread, but thought it should go here too.

I rode the Dwarfcraft today. It was very choppy and a messy windswell as wind has been SW 7-11ms for several days. I was on a 7m kite, as usual everyone else on one smaller kite. 9s.
I'm a noob, session 25 or so. 80 kgs, old-boy. Have a 2016 Moses Fluente with 548 /325 wingset.

My proficiency is that I'm flying around, doing S turns and some heel to toeside carves on my strong side. On my previous board my waterstarts have been nailed.

At first I could not get up. Nose of board is submarining directly, then if I try to compensate foil is trying to lift but too low speed, so stalling, then nose dive. If I just try to gain speed the nose is going under before I can get up to speed. I'm trying to get going in 60-70cm wind swell that is sometimes breaking and at times I have to work the kite to keep moving. After a few attempts I get going. Ride an hour with trouble water starting.
But I get better at it.

If I do a skimming touchdown, it works great, but a more abrubt touchdown, the nose dives.
I could not do any surface transitions, board nose submarines. Granted it's really rough, my roughest session ever. But still, this board is not forgiving for surface transitions.
In the air, it's great. Good length and width, and I find I can ride much lower to water because touch downs or rather, wave tops coming up to meet the board don't effect forward momentum.

I come in for a break and then go out for another 40 min. Starting is now much easier, but it's still hard to keep the nose above water and not stall the foil.
I do a few heel to toeside carves in the air, but it's so rough, and the 7 m kite is a bit too fast for my timing.

Overall, this is not a board to begin on, and I'm wondering if I made the right choice. It seems board should have 50mm more nose rocker. So if you're a beginner, and you don't have smooth water conditions, you're going to struggle with thus board. I guess that's why they have the alien air model.

I also think the boards angle to water during flight is too much " nose down ". I'm used to a more " nose up" angle, as my previous board had tail rocker. This board has no tail rocker at all, so the fuselage is parallel to the bottom. then there's only about 60-70 mm nose rocker left. The deck is also pretty flat all the way forward and this increases the perception that nose is low.
I have my 2016 Fluente strut plate at "2" marking. My rear foot was a bit in front of the rear hook as usual, perhaps I will move plate back 1cm.

I'm thinking to make a plastic shim for mounting under the plate to raise front edge of plate 3-4mm. This will raise nose in flight. I did som trigonometry, and if I shim plate front edge up 4mm it will raise the nose about 24mm. But it will also cause drag on touchdown...

Brian H
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: Slingshot kites and boards

Re: Dwarfcraft first impression

Postby Brian H » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:51 pm

I have the MHL lift on this same board and find that I have none of those problem that you are having except maybe the board is a bit small for surface transitions so maybe it's the foil that you are using . I water start by looping my kite with my back hand and come straight up onto the foil and ride away easy .

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:09 pm

id try moving the foil farther back. i recently did the opposite on my hover glide and made it feel horrible... 1cm can make a big difference in feel

Thecopterdr
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: BRM Cloud, Slingshot LF2 foilboard, Flysurfer Sonic FR

Postby Thecopterdr » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:21 pm

I ride the Alien air and also the Dwarfcraft with a Lift LF2 foil.
The first thing I noticed was the difference in mast settings between the two.
I ride the Alien air on 4cm and the Dwarf on 6.5 cm to get the same feel.
I agree with Brian H in that looping the kite backwards to launch on lighter days is certainly the way to go.
The Dwarf is a great board that I won't ride in less than 15 knots, Its not designed to contact the water often, and having the correct mast setting will improve the experience greatly.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m

Postby TomW » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:21 am

This was a day of a lot of gusty wind and big chop.
I put these impressions out here to see if anyone has similar experience.

I did all the research I could and nowhere did I read surface transitions or starts are difficult on this board. It's 30 liters! My other board was 13 liters and did surface transition much easier....I think the problem is all the volume is in the tail...

Slingshot doesn't describe this board " you have to loop the kite to pop up on foil , and it favors not touching down, so if you need 5 meters to get up speed or do a touchdown to transition, this is not a board for you "

Admittedly, I'm at noob, but this is second production board I've struggled with after using my converted homemade stubby board for session 4-22 without any of these difficulties.

I'll move the foil back and make a shim. If it does not work, I'm going to rush and make my own again.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m

Postby TomW » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:44 pm

I moved the foil back to furthest back position, went out in 14-16 knots in 30-50cm chop and wind " swell". It was a lot easier due to having more power in kite, I could pop up faster and water state.
Still, I think the board is flawed. It needs more nose rocker, it wouldn't be any disadvantage.
The nose could have a little more width( + 1-2cm) and volume, would be a slight compromise to swing weight.
Tail should have a 10-20 mm rocker in last third of board so as you move foil forward and back you also change the angle of the foil to board.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m

Postby TomW » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:16 pm

Update. I changed my wing and the board is much more manageable during starts. My previous wing would try to lift off with very little speed and rear foot pressure.
The wing I tried now has way less tendency to lift off too early and allows a bit more rear foot pressure, keeping nose of board up and skimming.
I understand now, that the foils behavior has a major impact on how the board works at lift off.

Return to “Hydrofoil”