Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Disadvantages of wave kites

Forum for kitesurfers
matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Disadvantages of wave kites

Postby matth » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:05 pm

halloi wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:01 pm
i have a BEST Cabo quiver and fumkin' love that kite!
are there kites out there that jump higher? i bet.
kites out there with better depower? probably not.
if you surf waves get a wave kite, if you ride freestyle strapless get a wave kite, if you like low bar pressure get a wave kite,
if you like boosting to the moon without hassle on a tt get a freeride kite.

just my 2 cents.

and because i love this clip of the Cabo im gonna share it with you guys ; )

https://vimeo.com/173536805
enjoy

ps: yes, hes using some punt on that board :naughty:
Impressive :D :D :D :D :D you got some skills bro..

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:11 am

halloi wrote:
if you surf waves get a wave kite, if you ride freestyle strapless get a wave kite, if you like low bar pressure get a wave kite,

just my 2 cents.

enjoy

Ropner is surely the master of the wave kite. He might be able to do the same thing with a 10 gallon Hefty bag. Great video, and if he is using it, most likely a great kite (as always, kiter probably more important than the kite)

halloi
Medium Poster
Gear: kites and boards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby halloi » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:04 am

KYLakeKiter wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:11 am
(as always, kiter probably more important than the kite)
lets not forget the thick coat of punt...
might not turn you into a freestyle god but def helps, i have tried it and the difference to regular stuff is insane, especially when
you need to get the stuff of your hands and furniture... :redangry:

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,

Postby clint2070 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:18 am

halloi wrote:

just my 2 cents.

enjoy

Nice Vid ! Punt ? If I didn't see it for my own eyes I would say it was velcro ! That guy is killin it ! Ive never flown the Cabo but they're super cheap now ! Best is gone ! I just got a killer 6'2" coffin roller bag from their site for $113 shipped !

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,

Postby clint2070 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:21 am

norcom wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:12 pm
I hate my 12m SST but love my 11m Cabo v3. Would love to hear if anyone flew a Cabo but found a faster wave kite?
I love my 10m slash but Ive never flown a cabo so I can't say whats faster.

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster

Postby clint2070 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:29 am

clint2070 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:43 pm
vanille_pete wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:24 pm
thanks for the answer.

is the lack of up wind ability in combination with a directional board as bad as it is with a twintip board? i mean the up wind ability of directionals is by far better than the up wind ability of twintips.

At the moment im riding evos, and ive been ridden evos for many years and i have never felt the need to try something else. since two month i using a surfboard and it blows me away.. i like it 100x better, but im not sure if i need new kites to get the ultimate surf-feeling. I think the distribution is something around 70% freeride (strapless, waveboard - maybe a bit of freestyle) 30% wave.
Ive owned a ton of different surf kites and free ride alike. Its true most surf kites lack low end except the Neo,Pivot and Slash. Ive never jumped the Neo with a twin tip only a strapless surfboard but it feels like it would do the job. The Pivot and Slash are great at jumping and have a ton of low end. I hear a lot of people say the pivot has more power than the Slash but Ive flown them both side by side and found the Slash to have more low end. The Neo and the Slash drift way better than the pivot but the pivot is easier to land jumps with. It lets you down super soft. The Carbrinha drifters I had I couldn't get to jump to save my life but they do drift really good. If I wasn't so heavy and the top three I mentioned didn't exist I would consider the Reo or the SS Wave. Wave Kites are also great for beginners. The Naish Slash is my all time favorite kite to date. It does everything I need it to do and still has great low end and turns super fast ! Ive never ridden the Core surf kite but I hear its good too but also lacks power
Forgot to add the greatest disadvantage. They're hard to resell !

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:33 pm

BigZ wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:42 am
Does your location have real waves? - do you see surfers before the wind picks up :-).
Do you want to surf waves with the kite?
No. I want to kitesurf. I put together a kite and a surfboard to make something better than the sum of it's parts. I do not limit my self to "simulating surfing". With a kite, you can take a surfboard that is smaller than anything you could possibly prone surf, and put it into ANY wave for a powered or depowered ride on that wave. That is the range that kitesurfing encompasses.

"Real" or "proper" waves????

Walk up to a skimboarder that just ripped up a wave at a steep beach and tell him it was not a "real" or "proper" wave. Those guys are most physical of all surfing disciplines. If tell him about what you think is a "real" or "proper" wave, he will probably see if he can touch his board to the back of your neck through your teeth.

Walk up to a tow-in guy, that could have never caught the wave without a power assist, and tell him that he did not just ride a "real" or "proper" wave. He would probably just kick you squaw in the nuts. You would not be worth a punch to the face to him.

Walk up to a SUP guy that was the only one to even catch a wave that day at the beach break and let him know he did not catch a "real" or "proper" wave. Then watch how he looks at you. It will be the look of "is this guy mentally deficient".

Walk up to me at an inland lake with tiny 2' shorebreak and tell me I just did not ride a "real" or "proper" wave. I will simply ask you, "What the hell are you doing here?" Then I will tell you to go to the coast and find some "real" surfers to beat some sense into you. You are not even worth a kick in the nuts, though I do wish someone would find at least that value in you.

If you are such a hardcore surfer to say something as stupid as "real wave" or "proper wave" in reference to kiting, then try the above. Or better yet, stick to prone surfing. That way you can say that those guys with those dumb kites aren't real surfers since they never have to spend any time:

paddling out by hand,
swimming in the break,
paddling to catch a wave,
going from laying on the board to standing up,
then riding without any balancing aid like a kite up in the air,
and at the end of it all, having to paddle out once again just to catch 4-5 waves in a day

Kitesurfers won't miss you.

jonysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth,
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, F-One Mitu 5'4, F-One Mitu 5'8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),

Postby jonysan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:39 pm

Very well said.

BigZ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Central California Coast
Favorite Beaches: Jalama Beach
Style: Surf
Gear: Wave kites,
Surfboards, surfboards, and more surfboards ...

Did I say surfboards ?

Postby BigZ » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:34 pm

Go back on you meds dude or chill out.

The only thing I was trying to say is that you will not see a huge difference between a dedicated wave kite vs a good all around freeride kite unless you really care about features like drift which are more important when you want to forget the kite and surf, which will not happen on your 2' lake shore break.

So don't waste money replacing your good all around kite.
Matteo V wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:33 pm
BigZ wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:42 am
Does your location have real waves? - do you see surfers before the wind picks up :-).
Do you want to surf waves with the kite?
No. I want to kitesurf. I put together a kite and a surfboard to make something better than the sum of it's parts. I do not limit my self to "simulating surfing". With a kite, you can take a surfboard that is smaller than anything you could possibly prone surf, and put it into ANY wave for a powered or depowered ride on that wave. That is the range that kitesurfing encompasses.

"Real" or "proper" waves????

Walk up to a skimboarder that just ripped up a wave at a steep beach and tell him it was not a "real" or "proper" wave. Those guys are most physical of all surfing disciplines. If tell him about what you think is a "real" or "proper" wave, he will probably see if he can touch his board to the back of your neck through your teeth.

Walk up to a tow-in guy, that could have never caught the wave without a power assist, and tell him that he did not just ride a "real" or "proper" wave. He would probably just kick you squaw in the nuts. You would not be worth a punch to the face to him.

Walk up to a SUP guy that was the only one to even catch a wave that day at the beach break and let him know he did not catch a "real" or "proper" wave. Then watch how he looks at you. It will be the look of "is this guy mentally deficient".

Walk up to me at an inland lake with tiny 2' shorebreak and tell me I just did not ride a "real" or "proper" wave. I will simply ask you, "What the hell are you doing here?" Then I will tell you to go to the coast and find some "real" surfers to beat some sense into you. You are not even worth a kick in the nuts, though I do wish someone would find at least that value in you.

If you are such a hardcore surfer to say something as stupid as "real wave" or "proper wave" in reference to kiting, then try the above. Or better yet, stick to prone surfing. That way you can say that those guys with those dumb kites aren't real surfers since they never have to spend any time:

paddling out by hand,
swimming in the break,
paddling to catch a wave,
going from laying on the board to standing up,
then riding without any balancing aid like a kite up in the air,
and at the end of it all, having to paddle out once again just to catch 4-5 waves in a day

Kitesurfers won't miss you.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:58 pm

BigZ wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:34 pm

So don't waste money replacing your good all around kite.
I am certainly on your side on that one.

BigZ wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:34 pm

The only thing I was trying to say is that you will not see a huge difference between a dedicated wave kite vs a good all around freeride kite unless you really care about features like drift which are more important when you want to forget the kite and surf, which will not happen on your 2' lake shore break.
And it seems that you were willing to loose the "real waves" thing in your response, so props on that one. I think my point has been well made.

Return to “Kitesurfing”