forum for kitesurfers

rogue_kiteboarder
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Crazy Fly Raptor LTD, Pivot, Lithium, Neo, Reo, Enduro, C1
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: can you adjust Ozone bar clamcleat position

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:33 pm

If you increase the amount of trim, or de-power if you like, you will over trim the kite and it will back stall and fall out of the sky. I wouldn't recommend changing it.

sonny2727
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: north, ozone

Postby sonny2727 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:36 am

rogue_kiteboarder wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:33 pm
If you increase the amount of trim, or de-power if you like, you will over trim the kite and it will back stall and fall out of the sky. I wouldn't recommend changing it.
ozone bar is perfect for my ozone reo kite as you would expect but now I'm trying to use it for my North Mono 12m and want to try different depower range (want minimalist equipment and hate North 5 line bar, only North bar I have). North bar has movable cleat but that's not perfect either as it sometimes moves unintentionally.

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1991
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V4, 9/14 Enduro, Zephyr V5, Edge V9 10M Axis 5'7" Kapua, 5'4" New Wave, Patrol 1.48, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" Ride engine carbon elite, rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisBoarding

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:34 am

windrider1 wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:43 pm
Na i don think so. While some kites only work well with 2 inches of depower . :P i think most kites can work with more. I call marketing gimmickry on this one.ive been flying kites over 12 years and see how the constant pressure to claim a new feature every year creates these nonsensical changes. cabrinha has taken this path also. Both them and ozone had decent depower throw on their bars then significantly reduced it s few years back . Just makes things harder if u want to swap kites and bars. Which equals more sales for them.
knotwindy wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:51 pm
Maybe because the kite flies like shite if depowered too much and you should get on a smaller kite at a certain point. What that point is might be better determined by the designer than the average user. If you are better than average you can adjust it any way you want with a tiny bit of trouble. Just a guess?
Ozone and Cabrinha have not reduced the depower throw on their bars a "few" years back. I don't know where you are getting your info on that but its completely incorrect.
The kites designer sets the trim range in a bar, there is only so much range of movement (AOA adjustment) available for a given kite design or range of designs for a given brand/model range. If they made bars with greater range than needed there would be complaints and handling problems, so the brands don't do that which makes perfect sense to me - they want their customers to be happy with their purchase.

You can definitely customise the Ozone bar pretty easily as Evan says above.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:51 am

Also, you don't increase the range of depower by moving the cleat down. All you are doing is moving the same available range from the bar throw to the trim line. It might work better in the mid-upper range as the bar might be slightly closer to your body to give you a better stance to possibily handle the higher wind better but when it is maxed out, it is still maxed out the same.

evan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Levitaz Bionic
Peter Lynn Aero
Brand Affiliation: Infexion
Peter Lynn

Postby evan » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:44 am

Nope, if you move the cleat down 100mm you already shorten the powerlines by 50mm at full power setting but also add 50mm extra trim space so you gain the full 100mm extra depower compaired to the stock bar without adding pigtails or change in setting on steering lines.
But if you return the bar to a equal line length at full power you only gain half the trim space the amount you move the cleat down. I admit, it is tricky to visualise.

Return to “Kitesurfing”