Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

More and more riders on less and less spots?

forum for kitesurfers

kitesurfvoilier
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Leucate - France
Style: Freeride
Gear: Liquid Force - North
Brand Affiliation: Owner of KSV little brand

More and more riders on less and less spots?

Postby kitesurfvoilier » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:13 am

Hello Kiteforum members,

Where I'm riding (South of France - Around Leucate), there are more and more people on the spots and many of them were closed this last years due to accidents and/or problems with local people (car park)... Is it the same for your home place or not at all?
I confess, it's an interested" question as I'm trying to develop accessories for freeriders. 1st one help for ground works on little spots / boats (no untwisting of lines). If interested, please take a look at http://kitesurfvoilier.fr/en
Regarding this, for my own practice, it seems that the higher risk is now to get twist with an other kite, results of those situation are always "surprising" and rarely good & easy! :-?
So, would you say that your are more en more ready to cut lines when you practice and interested in finding "secret spots"?
Many thanks,
Good winds and vib's to all!
Best regards,
Sébastien

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: More and more riders on less and less spots?

Postby Toby » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:08 pm

Looks like it...but the more we are the stronger we are...we have to fight the bans of spots !

And once we are Olympic, we have better arguments!

kiterocky
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Best
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kiterocky » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:15 pm

Same all over...more school more students more people..less spot...more problem..

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: what works for the day

Postby PullStrings » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:06 pm

Opposite...less and less riders...same amount of spots...from what i see....in the waves...they all gather in flat water like sheeps....yippie ! :jump:

kitesurfvoilier
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Leucate - France
Style: Freeride
Gear: Liquid Force - North
Brand Affiliation: Owner of KSV little brand

Postby kitesurfvoilier » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:46 pm

Hi Toby,

Yes true! Hope we will be better understood soon in already limited areas...! As far as I know, we have problems here with birds cohabitation and parking only minimum 300 meters from the beach...

Hi Kiterocky and PullStrings,
Opposite point of views, would be great and help me if you tell me where your homespot is located (if not already set in profile infos)!
Thx

Greenturtle
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Gear: Turbine 17, RRD Emotion 17, OR Flite 12, Solo 9 & 6.5
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:04 pm

From what Ive seen
Flat water spots with easier access (drive right onto the beach etc) certainly get the crowds more and more, but the community aspect of that is great, and is how we meet each other and form the alliances that will ultimately save spots from getting closed.

Wave spots or just open water, no crowd at all as typically these stretch for miles, and no beginners are present.

also interesting is although there may be equally good flatwater launches in a vicinity, almost everyone ends up at the same one. A lot of people just feel safer or just more at home with others around.

Experienced riders helping beginners instead of ignoring them (and thus letting them do dangerous stuff around the public) is probably the single most important thing towards preventing closures. It means sacrificing some of your session time. But when you see trouble about to happen, just walking over and saying something could prevent an accident that closes the spot.

At my home beach, I pretty much never see any other kiters. So for me going where there are a bunch of people out once in a while is fun. I could see how if that was every time though it would get annoying.

coffeeking
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Waroo 9, Yarga 13.5, F-one Mach1 18.1, FS Speed5 12m

Postby coffeeking » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:11 pm

Where I used to surf in 2004 you saw 2/3 people on a good day. By 2007 that was 15, and all surrounding spots for 30 miles were closed to kiting. Went back there the other day and there were 6.

Where I live now I'd be flabbergasted if I saw more than 2 people out on the entire west coast of the country on a good day.

I hate surfing in groups, 2 or 3 is fine but any more than that and it becomes a logistical nightmare that's not fun (for me) to navigate.

ThickAir
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby ThickAir » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:32 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:06 pm
Opposite...less and less riders...same amount of spots...from what i see....in the waves...they all gather in flat water like sheeps....yippie ! :jump:
Same at my spot and I wouldn't want it any other way. Once in a while a bunch of kooks show up from D.C. area (about 2.5 hours away) and we hate that but for the most part, it's 2 or 3 guys tops.

dirtybeach
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Naish Tomo WMFG

Postby dirtybeach » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:41 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:06 pm
Same here.

BOEMIX
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: chrono v2 15m & 9m, Catalyst 7m, enduro 10m, edge 13m, access 6m
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Shinn Ronson 138x42, King Gee 150x50 and Ketos Foil freeride2

Postby BOEMIX » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:38 pm

True. I also go to Leucate when winds get offshore in my home spot, and I noticed a lot of spots were closed in the last years. As soon as you show with a kite somebody comes and say kiting is forbidden in that place.

Last weekend is the first time I kited in the sea in Leucate (La Franqui) and I found it was a very good and safe spot as long as you are able to go upwind. The only downside was the long walk to the beach. Sure more and more kiters going to be there cause a lot of spots on Leucate-Barcares lakes are now forbidden.

Return to “Kitesurfing”