forum for kitesurfers

CanadianGringo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Gear: Epic, Naish
Brand Affiliation: None

FoodSaver Vacuum Seal Bladder Repair

Postby CanadianGringo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:39 pm

I put a new bladder in my kite yesterday and sadly forgot to fold the end in properly. After about 20 minutes inflated - it popped!
It blew a hole right at the end of the leading edge, about 1 inch from the factory seal on the bladder.
The bladder appears to be too long anyway - so I don't think it will be an issues to do a seal on the end myself.
Can anyone report on how reliable it will be to seal the end with a food saver?
If so, any tips or tricks?

rogue_kiteboarder
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Crazy Fly Raptor LTD, Pivot, Lithium, Neo, Reo, Enduro, C1

Re: FoodSaver Vacuum Seal Bladder Repair

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:50 pm

It may work. It will all depend on the temperature. I recommend testing it below the pop before you test it above. Even better, if there is excess below the factory seal, test it there.

Short of that, Tear Aid will fix your hole.

Don Monnot
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Don Monnot » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:10 pm

Great thought. I hope it works. I usually use my waxing iron with a pencil (to focus the heat in a narrow strip).

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Gear: BWS / Ocean Rodeo / Stringy Foil

Postby juandesooka » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:43 pm

A buddy has done it. His report "Yes, foodsaver worked. If bladder material is degraded from age, probably won't last. I have repaired a 12 in seam and strut tips. Still holding. Material has to be super clean and dry. Aqua-Seal patch works as well."

I thought he was crazy, no way I'd trust this ... but I think this was a year ago or so, looks to be a winner.

SLiiCK
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Pembrey South Wales
Favorite Beaches: Exmouth
Pembrey
Fuerteventura
Style: All
Gear: Naish/F One/Slingshot

Postby SLiiCK » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:14 pm

I have done this to a couple of bladder ends over the years using a food vacuum pack machine definitely test it out on an spare piece of bladder material first if it is too hot and melts the material too much you can try placing a piece of silicone paper between the bladder and the heating wire did not need to do this myself as it worked fine without it, also I always put 2 seal lines close to each other instead of just one hope this helps.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Postby edt » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:47 am

For me it took about 10 or 20 tries with spare bladder before I could set the temperature right for sealing the end. I used a commercial grade sealer not the food saver but even with that you have to get the setting exactly right. Make sure you test on spare bladder before you do it for real! There is zero chance of getting a good seal if you try to do it on your first try. Make sure you follow the suggestions above, make sure it is perfectly clean and perfectly dry before you seal it. Tear Aid will never work right on a popped end and the reason is that there are seams and no matter how careful you are, it's impossible to tape over a seam the air always will get out and run along the seam. It's not the size of the hole but the seam that is a problem for taping it. I have taped together a 4 foot bladder rip, as it never crossed a seam. But even a 3 inch hole will be impossible to seal right if it crosses a seam. If your popped end does not cross a seam then you can tape it, make sure you cut away all the distorted bladder first.

Return to “Kitesurfing”