wind chaser
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Style: Free
Gear: Slingshot, Cabrinha, Best.
Brand Affiliation: None

Season Over

Postby wind chaser » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:38 pm

Saw JJ Watt get wrecked last night - http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/te ... gbcbxpzgx1 ...wimp, just kidding...
over.png
over.png (203.93 KiB) Viewed 1061 times
This injury is what I got kiting. Only difference is I had to kite into shore, take off boots, hobble down a trail with board in one hand and kite in the air (LIT). Couple nice locals helped me land and pack my kite. I waited at the launch for an hour thinking I could go back out on a strapless. I eventually left and got a pizza only to pass out while eating it. Gf thought I had a seizure and took me to the ER for EKG and X-rays. Found out It was a tibial plateau fracture. Had surgery a few days later and share the same misery as JJ watt - Season Over. Now just sit on my ass and troll kiteorum :argue: .

Injuries Suck...
Last edited by wind chaser on Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Season Over

Postby Toby » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:43 pm

Sorry to hear.
Wishing a speedy recovery!

Hugh2
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras, Cape Town, Mokuleia
Style: allsorts
Gear: Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 7 and 9, Cabrinha Vector 12, Best Bularoo 16m
Long Ocean 136 and 140, Cyclone 150, Cape Doctor "hybrid", Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0"

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:23 am

How did you get injured?

skiting
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: Slingshot, BRM

Postby skiting » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:15 pm

hi man, was watching the game too and felt really bad for the dude.. was funny how during the game were showing images of the tibial plateau
and explaining all the details of the fracture to the general public..

btw how is your recovery going?

I am 53 days from surgery, the knee still sucks and hurts, but at least now I can walk, bike and play golf (all of them very poorly)
no kiting yet (thought about just going out and mow the lawn but my doctor strongly disagreed)
besides the pain and the general feeling of instability the thing that bothers me the most is the limited range of motion..
although I can flex it to 115 degree after a long stretching or biking session, it very quickly stiffens right after, and it is still pretty significantly swollen..

still a long way to go..

Jelle_vw
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Zandmotor (Netherlands)
Favorite Beaches: Slufter (Netherlands)
Style: Freeride / Oldskool
Gear: Ozone & Shinn

Postby Jelle_vw » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:37 pm

Sorry to hear. Troll all you want if it helps.

JaZone
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012

Postby JaZone » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:51 pm

I Feel for you dude, nothing sucks like watching others kite while you're injured.

Hope you have a speedy recovery, and back on the water soon!

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog
Style: Freeride
Gear: 8m,10m, 12, EVOS, 15.5 Switch Helium . Shinn Monk 32x 41, Monk 37x44, Sector 54

Postby matth » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:51 pm

Make sure you don't let it ruin your quality of life. Get out, exercise, and stay involved as much as you can with other activities, family and friends. Don't dwell on what you can't change.

wind chaser
Medium Poster

Postby wind chaser » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:12 am

skiting wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:15 pm
hi man, was watching the game too and felt really bad for the dude.. was funny how during the game were showing images of the tibial plateau
and explaining all the details of the fracture to the general public..
yeah... I like how NBC announcer Al Michaels explained the proceedure "I think its a short term thing..." "...for treatment they poke holes in it, pour blood back in it, put layers back over the top.. he'll miss three games.."
skiting wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:15 pm

btw how is your recovery going?

I am 53 days from surgery, the knee still sucks and hurts, but at least now I can walk, bike and play golf (all of them very poorly)
no kiting yet (thought about just going out and mow the lawn but my doctor strongly disagreed)
besides the pain and the general feeling of instability the thing that bothers me the most is the limited range of motion..
although I can flex it to 115 degree after a long stretching or biking session, it very quickly stiffens right after, and it is still pretty significantly swollen..

still a long way to go..
Sounds like your ahead of me. I'm 8 weeks from surgery, and can't put any weight on it until another 4 weeks. Not supposed to attempt to walk until then. I'll take the Drs word for it, definitely don't want to extend this waiting period. Same issue with range of motion... still trying to Bend a full 90° can get it to 60° for now, it locks up and gets stiff.. I think iI'm also feeling the steel plate. Knee is still messed up too.

wind chaser
Medium Poster

Postby wind chaser » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:34 am

Hugh2 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:23 am
How did you get injured?
Poorly executed (Unhooked) backroll with boots.

Think a few things contributed:
  • Board - Was on a new board and did not ride it enough to get familiar with the performance - not a good pop.
  • Muscle Memory - Grew up wakeboarding (since early 90s) and think I have a wakeboard muscle memory "fast and brute force." Have a tendency to keep my kite too low and deep in the window to simulate the pull of a boat.
  • Age - I've taken much harder falls wakeboarding and barefooting in the past with little injury (just twisted ankles and a couple busted ear drums). Now that I'm older I assume my body can't take similar falls.

skiting
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: Slingshot, BRM

Postby skiting » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:16 pm

wind chaser wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:12 am
I think iI'm also feeling the steel plate. Knee is still messed up too.
ohh yes, I am also feeling the steel plate a ton.. :lol: :lol:

have you thought about a cpm (Continous passive motion) machine?
I rented one for 3 week (total cost is around 250) and it helped me a lot with regaining knee range of motion during the non weight bearing period..
Not every doctor here recommends it, but I have read studies suggesting it helps..

Return to “Kitesurfing”