Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How do KBs keep from drowning when they wear boots

Forum for kitesurfers
longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: How do KBs keep from drowning when they wear boots

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:37 pm

I think it is very likely Lewis would not have got such intense whiplash which led to going unconscious in straps. The boots appeared to decelerate Lewis almost instantly.. all the energy transfered to the whiplash.

Big waves (like west coast NZ big) and tight boots.. got some friends that ventured out to ride some bombs with them.. they won't do it again.

slim_charles
Frequent Poster
Gear: The best
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby slim_charles » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:52 pm

beebad wrote: I have a disconnect when folks talk about competition, but I dont think a binding setup is just for elite kiters. I speculate that bindings provide a precise interface with the board. I would like to try a binding setup in a few months.
Absolutely not, they are simply a means for attaching yourself to the board. i know riders that don't unhook who still ride bindings because they prefer being locked in amongst other reasons. Nothing wrong with beginners trying bindings, ignore the 'boots to look cool' bullshit ;)

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Postby NorCalNomad » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:21 am

Well you do need more core strength in boots to turn your board downwind with any sort of urgency....so that excludes a lot of old men...and that's the majority of the kiteboarding market.

Catching a forward edge is really the main pain in the ass...pain in the face actually...part about wearing boots. Don't worry about trying to hurry and get into boots right away, but at that same time don't be scared of them. They aren't as hardcore as you might think. Being super comfortable in the water with the kite is a huge thing.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:07 am

more core strength... what...

there's so much weird speculation and wrong advice in this thread the best thing you can do is just delete it all from your brain

if you want to try boots then do it, it isnt any more dangerous than straps unless youre kiting in big waves. you have much more control over the board, can hold more power and land harder on jumps/tricks without breaking your ankles. if you aren't doing a lot of unhooked tricks, landing kiteloops with a lot of speed and power, or kite in big waves, then just stick to straps

in any case, youre not going to get dragged underwater. maybe if your kite is deathlooping out of control? then hit your quick release and flag the kite, like you would any other time

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:36 am

U clearly didn't see the vid of the guy that had his leg bone sticking out at the exact level of the top of his bindings. It's gross as!

And some if the best wakestyle riders in the world don't agree with wearing boots in the king of the air.

I enjoyed my time in bindings, as soon as I learned you cannot sometimes keep hold of the bar like you can on a twin tip throwing bailed passes.. streched spine!

I'd say the biggest downfall of them is price.. absolute rip off, look at comparable items in the world today. It makes kiting more expensive too... Less accessible.. nothing wrong with freestyle in footstraps if you like it that way, or if you cannot afford boots.

I can't stand sposored/ wealthier riders banging on about kook straps to the younger generation making out how it is somehow less worthy/cool and not legit.

The same riders that think skateboarding is legit, but they choose to ride rails with soft water landings most of the time, hold onto their balance handlebars and glue their feet to their boards with $600 bindings. It's a complete oxymoron.

Big ups to the Brazil kids.. ride anything.. and rip!

beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.

Postby beebad » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:37 am

YEAH I AGREE. Again, Dylan, this is the kind of sugar coated practical advice I am wanting to read about....All I wanted was a simple discussion to dispel what to me seemed like some special technique one had to learn so if even pulled a little by the kite, and the outstretched board behind you creating resistance, , you'd either be on the rack or dragged a little underwater. Obviously, like the gentleman mentioned, your core has to be strong enough to get the board back in front of you. So , yeah, something to think about for me anyway....The price of most gear in this sport is expensive but most of our sports are not cheap. 600 for bindings, 1200 for a kite, 900 for dry suit. WTF.....I could just stay home and read trade journals if money was such an issue, but it is what it is eh! Thanks for the discussion!
dylan* wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:07 am
more core strength... what...

there's so much weird speculation and wrong advice in this thread the best thing you can do is just delete it all from your brain

if you want to try boots then do it, it isnt any more dangerous than straps unless youre kiting in big waves. you have much more control over the board, can hold more power and land harder on jumps/tricks without breaking your ankles. if you aren't doing a lot of unhooked tricks, landing kiteloops with a lot of speed and power, or kite in big waves, then just stick to straps

in any case, youre not going to get dragged underwater. maybe if your kite is deathlooping out of control? then hit your quick release and flag the kite, like you would any other time

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:54 pm

beebad wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:37 am
YEAH I AGREE. Again, Dylan, this is the kind of sugar coated practical advice I am wanting to read about....All I wanted was a simple discussion to dispel what to me seemed like some special technique one had to learn so if even pulled a little by the kite, and the outstretched board behind you creating resistance, , you'd either be on the rack or dragged a little underwater. Obviously, like the gentleman mentioned, your core has to be strong enough to get the board back in front of you. So , yeah, something to think about for me anyway....The price of most gear in this sport is expensive but most of our sports are not cheap. 600 for bindings, 1200 for a kite, 900 for dry suit. WTF.....I could just stay home and read trade journals if money was such an issue, but it is what it is eh! Thanks for the discussion!
there is no "special technique". you just roll over so the board is in front of you. you will figure it out in less than 10 seconds.

the kite isn't going to pull you while you're in the water for more than a second when you fall. if you are being dragged then you need to let go of the bar.

it's not sugar coated, it's very simple. theres no reason for this thread to be multiple pages

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:56 pm

dylan* wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:54 pm
beebad wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:37 am
there is no "special technique". you just roll over so the board is in front of you. you will figure it out in less than 10 seconds.

the kite isn't going to pull you while you're in the water for more than a second when you fall. if you are being dragged then you need to let go of the bar.

it's not sugar coated, it's very simple. theres no reason for this thread to be multiple pages
:thumb:

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:01 pm

dylan* wrote:

You've got to remember the people coming into this sport!(no offense Guys) :allbegood: This thread could be half a page lol,but this is kiteforum.Go on a wake forum and ask about using straps instead of boots and you'll be ripped a new one. I remember using my wake board and boots 1 month into kiting and it was a non issue.So many opinions by non boot users.Might be just as well,the sight of hoards of kiters wearing boots and kiting in the very popular "poo" stance would be terrifying! :-o 90% of this site is for entertainment purposes,look at all the silly threads being started,this site would die without "somebody" constantly posting lame threads. :duh: :desperado:

beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.

Postby beebad » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:07 pm

pj sofine wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:01 pm
dylan* wrote:

there
Last edited by beebad on Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”