Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Help needed: XR5 and carbon drive Beginner

forum for kitesurfers


iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1125
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: West Sussex
Gear: this 'n that
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: South coast, UK

Re: Help needed: XR5 and carbon drive Beginner

Postby iriejohn » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:18 am

Feseroni wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:57 pm
Thanks for your advice. I changed the kite size and now I’m looking at a shinn monk 137x44. I think the extra width will help me to progress faster at the beginning .

Thanks a lot
I had a Shinn Monk for 3 years, great board. I'm 81kg and mine was 135x42 which I used from 15 to 30 knots, but I guess at 15-20 knots with an 11m kite a 137x44 would perhaps be better.

User avatar
alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 877
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 12:41 pm
Kiting since: 2007
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: No brand affiliation
Location: Montreal, Canada / NJ, USA

Re: Help needed: XR5 and carbon drive Beginner

Postby alexeyga » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:01 am

iriejohn wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:18 am
Feseroni wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:57 pm
Thanks for your advice. I changed the kite size and now I’m looking at a shinn monk 137x44. I think the extra width will help me to progress faster at the beginning .

Thanks a lot
I had a Shinn Monk for 3 years, great board. I'm 81kg and mine was 135x42 which I used from 15 to 30 knots, but I guess at 15-20 knots with an 11m kite a 137x44 would perhaps be better.
Hmmmm, I'm 90-92kg and Monk 42 is my main twintip... I do find the Monk a bit power-hungry, less so than the Bronq though - and I do get ripped of the edge from time to time when going for a jump with anything trimmed-in more than half-way... And the original poster is lighter than me or you for that matter... So I do really feel like questioning that 44 width... :jump: :rollgrin: :baby:

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1125
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: West Sussex
Gear: this 'n that
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: South coast, UK

Re: Help needed: XR5 and carbon drive Beginner

Postby iriejohn » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:46 am

alexeyga wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:01 am
iriejohn wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:18 am
Feseroni wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:57 pm
Thanks for your advice. I changed the kite size and now I’m looking at a shinn monk 137x44. I think the extra width will help me to progress faster at the beginning .

Thanks a lot
I had a Shinn Monk for 3 years, great board. I'm 81kg and mine was 135x42 which I used from 15 to 30 knots, but I guess at 15-20 knots with an 11m kite a 137x44 would perhaps be better.
Hmmmm, I'm 90-92kg and Monk 42 is my main twintip... I do find the Monk a bit power-hungry, less so than the Bronq though - and I do get ripped of the edge from time to time when going for a jump with anything trimmed-in more than half-way... And the original poster is lighter than me or you for that matter... So I do really feel like questioning that 44 width... :jump: :rollgrin: :baby:
I also question the 44 width which is why I said "perhaps", but bearing in mind that the OP said ...

"I’m still learning to control the board and working on extending my rides, no upwind skills yet."

... he's still very much a beginner. If he's struggling the extra width would help but once he gets the hang of edging upwind then he would certainly no longer need the extra width.

What do you think?

User avatar
alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 877
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 12:41 pm
Kiting since: 2007
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: No brand affiliation
Location: Montreal, Canada / NJ, USA

Re: Help needed: XR5 and carbon drive Beginner

Postby alexeyga » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:49 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:46 am
I also question the 44 width which is why I said "perhaps", but bearing in mind that the OP said ...

"I’m still learning to control the board and working on extending my rides, no upwind skills yet."

... he's still very much a beginner. If he's struggling the extra width would help but once he gets the hang of edging upwind then he would certainly no longer need the extra width.

What do you think?
Fair point, bigger board at this stage will definitely help, but at 75kg - IMHO - even the 135X42 is kinda big. I've started with the 135X48 - and that board was such a blast to get going, but it was also a pig in chop - really hard on ankles.

bazzamac
Rare Poster
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:06 am
Kiting since: 2009
Style: Freeride
Gear: 2016 Slingshot Rally 8m, 10m & 14m
2015 Slingshot Turbine 17m
2017 Brokite 138x43 Custom Carbon Hybrid
2017 Liquid Force Overdrive 148x45
2015 Shinn King Gee 150x50
2015 Slingshot Dialer 5' 10"
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Help needed: XR5 and carbon drive Beginner

Postby bazzamac » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:16 pm

Carbon boards are far more forgiving on the ankles. When I was in a quandary trying to decide on board size and width for my weight, conditions, riding style etc.. I got in touch with West of http://brokite.com/ explained everything and he recommended a board and laid up the carbon on it to my requirements. I ended up with the 138 Hybrid and needless to say it's amazing, took a little getting used to after riding non carbon boards, but I couldn't be happier and so glad I spent a few dollars more.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1125
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: West Sussex
Gear: this 'n that
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: South coast, UK

Re: Help needed: XR5 and carbon drive Beginner

Postby iriejohn » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:18 pm

alexeyga wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:49 pm
iriejohn wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:46 am
I also question the 44 width which is why I said "perhaps", but bearing in mind that the OP said ...

"I’m still learning to control the board and working on extending my rides, no upwind skills yet."

... he's still very much a beginner. If he's struggling the extra width would help but once he gets the hang of edging upwind then he would certainly no longer need the extra width.

What do you think?
Fair point, bigger board at this stage will definitely help, but at 75kg - IMHO - even the 135X42 is kinda big. I've started with the 135X48 - and that board was such a blast to get going, but it was also a pig in chop - really hard on ankles.
OK Feseroni, I think the bottom line is this:

If you start with the 137x44 Monk you will find it easier to get up and going, but when you are going you'll soon find the board too wide for you. To be honest you then probably won't want to be on it any more.

If you start with the 135x42 Monk it won't be quite as easy to get going but when you are going you'll find the board more controllable and much more fun than the bigger board.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], SaltWaterDog and 26 guests