Skis for all-round riding

forum for snow- and landkiters

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Skis for all-round riding

Postby tautologies » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:50 pm

So last season I tried snow kiting. It was super fun and I am considering getting some skis now.
I do want something I can use for multiple things: Snow kiting, regular skiing, powder, top walks. So my thought is getting some reasonably wide thinking 95-100mm touring skiis.
I'm not looking to immediately get a ton of different gear (but realize I might end up there over time).
I'm not super concerned with weight...more concerned with ski clattering at speed.

Btw, my skiing experience up until about 18 years ago is pretty extensive, but barely anything after that. :-)

Anything in particular I should look out for? Type of skis? Bindings? Boots? Hoping to do some treks up mountains. Length of skis (I'm 6'1'')?

It just seems like rules around skiing has been redefined since we used to jump off shit. :lol:

Thx.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog
Style: Freeride
Gear: 8m,10m, 12, EVOS, 15.5 Switch Helium . Shinn Monk 32x 41, Monk 37x44, Sector 54

Re: Skis for all-round riding

Postby matth » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:46 pm

tautologies wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:50 pm
So last season I tried snow kiting. It was super fun and I am considering getting some skis now.
I do want something I can use for multiple things: Snow kiting, regular skiing, powder, top walks. So my thought is getting some reasonably wide thinking 95-100mm touring skiis.
I'm not looking to immediately get a ton of different gear (but realize I might end up there over time).
I'm not super concerned with weight...more concerned with ski clattering at speed.

Btw, my skiing experience up until about 18 years ago is pretty extensive, but barely anything after that. :-)

Anything in particular I should look out for? Type of skis? Bindings? Boots? Hoping to do some treks up mountains. Length of skis (I'm 6'1'')?

It just seems like rules around skiing has been redefined since we used to jump off shit. :lol:

Thx.
I have only snow kited a few times but I am an avid skier.

If you are on soft snow chatter will not be an issue unless you buy something with an extreme rocker and no metal. I personally hate skies with no metal, they just have no feel IMO.
95/100 MM range? Nordica Enforcer is the hottest ski on the planet, Bonafide and Mantra are also very good, and there are others. All these skis have moderate rocker and are decent on ice.

I would stay in the 178 range, unless you have gorilla legs and can handle the power.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby tautologies » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:52 am

matth wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:46 pm

If you are on soft snow chatter will not be an issue unless you buy something with an extreme rocker and no metal. I personally hate skies with no metal, they just have no feel IMO.
95/100 MM range? Nordica Enforcer is the hottest ski on the planet, Bonafide and Mantra are also very good, and there are others. All these skis have moderate rocker and are decent on ice.

I would stay in the 178 range, unless you have gorilla legs and can handle the power.
Oh nice. thank you. To be honest I do not know if the width I am indicating is a good one. I know I want to use them for a lot of different things. Probably mostly regular skiing. The Nordicas looks killer.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog
Style: Freeride
Gear: 8m,10m, 12, EVOS, 15.5 Switch Helium . Shinn Monk 32x 41, Monk 37x44, Sector 54

Postby matth » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:12 am

tautologies wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:52 am
matth wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:46 pm

Oh nice. thank you. To be honest I do not know if the width I am indicating is a good one. I know I want to use them for a lot of different things. Probably mostly regular skiing. The Nordicas looks killer.
If you plan on skiing out in the Western U.S. then that width is a nice size for all around ski ON/off piste. If you ski in the Northeast U.S. like me the 93mm width is more practical

Return to “Snow / Land”