Lightwave 142cm Board
Lightwave 165cm Board
CrazyFly - LightWind 156cm
DaKine Seated Harness
Brand Affiliation: None

Kiting Choppy Water

Postby Ergo1 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:28 pm

Hi All

Because of my advanced age,64, I'm sensitive to choppy water conditions. I kite mostly off the eastern side of Mexico and it can be quite choppy (think painful to knees, hips, joints, ect.) when that water condition exists.

In the past I've tried lots of TT Boards with little to no success in combating the choppy water. But the other day, I thought the winds were going to be light so I launched my 17M Ocean Rodeo and new 165cm Lightwave Board. In the past, I would have used my large lightwind CrazyFly Board - it's got a flat bottom and has served me well - except in the chop.

Well to my surprise the wind picked up and was blowing maybe 17 knots. I thought that I was going to be tortured with extreme choppy water conditions. But even though the conditions were not lightwind conditions, here's what I discovered. My lightwind Lightwave Board which has an extreme convex rocker bottom acted almost like the bow of a boat. I was able to lift the front end of the board out of the water and cut through the chop without any problem. I couldn't believe it as I've never had the experience before. Really!!!

I don't know if this board does what I think it will do in chop but was curious if others had a similiar experience.

Thank You

Eric
195lbs and intermediate/advanced kiter
I have no affiliation with any kiting or board manufacter - just a passion for kiting and perfecting my kiting skills

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Re: Kiting Choppy Water

Postby plummet » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:07 am

A big door sized board can feel smooth in chop because of its sheer size. But it will become overpowered easily and there are far better boards for normal conditions than a monster door.

To improve smoothness in chop performance you want to increase rocker and also look for an ellipse style shape. Both of these factors will improve smoothness in chop. Then if you add tip flex as well you will end up with a very smooth board through chop. Check out the cabrinha tronic and the nomad wave TT. I have not ridden either as I make my own boards. However, these boards have the specs you are looking for.

The downside to increasing chop smoothness with more rocker, rounded profile and tip flex is you loose efficiency and upwind performance. Upsize the board 2 sizes from what you use from standard

http://www.nomadkiteboarding.com/index- ... ybrid.html
https://www.cabrinhakites.com/collectio ... cts/tronic

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1970
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:52 am

Ergo,

Can u tell us what is 'extreme' convex bottom in cm please? Do you mean a concave or rocker?
D.

apollo4000
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber Sands
Favorite Beaches: Camber Sands, Greatstone, Minnis Bay, The Bluff, Marazion, Alcudia
Style: trying hard
Gear: Blade, North, Nomad, Shinn, Ocean Rodeo, Nobile, Airush, Slingshot, Crazyfly
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:11 pm

+1 for considering Nomad and Ocean Rodeo Mako.

I have the Mako and I find it smooth in chop.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:25 pm

You are spot on Eric, a convex bottom, and also round edges, and a tapered outline, and to some extent more rocker - will make a board smoooooth and able to ride in the hardest chop without you feeling any of the usual bumps like riding on a rocky road :rollgrin:

Such a board is the complete opposite of a typical TT or Door, as they are flat and square and sharp - these are a PITA in chop, compared.

But the "price" for chop eating boards is high, at least above design features will make you lose performance, meaning they dont go as early, they dont go upwind as well, and they have to be bigger/heavier to do somewhat the same as the square ones.

The good thing though, about typical chop eaters is, they carve like a dream, smooth and easy and they never catch the chop waves like the square ones :rollgrin:

In general of course - there are some design wonders and dogs too out there :roll:

8) Peter

wedge
Frequent Poster

Postby wedge » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:21 am

+1 for Mako.

Also since you are riding a larger kite you were most likely dug in and moving at a slower board speed while still powering up wind. Slower board speed equals smoother ride.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:30 pm

True, the "Mako" style boards got most, or all, of these "chop eating" design characteristics :thumb:

8) Peter

Windigo1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Aylmer
Style: Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:25 pm

As far a twintips go the Mako is a real chop eater but a Hydrofoil is the ultimate tool. The Shinn foil is ridiculously easy to learn,

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Prodigy, 9.5m Prodigy, 12m Prodigy , 12m Flite, 17m Flite. Crazyfly Raptor Pro Neon, Shinnster,
Mako Duke.

Postby matth » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:50 pm

Monk

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:58 pm

Depending on the frequency of the chop (iyswim) every board is a bitch at some point or another. My Monk was great as is my new North Select but from time to time in certain types of chop they'll all be pigs, flexible boards the least so.

Return to “Kitesurfing”