Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All of Quintana Roo Mexico
Style: wave kite, wave FOIL kite
Gear: zeeko, Shinn, Fone, SShot, Naish, AXIS surfboards
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Naish Repair Hack

Postby chirojoseph » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:19 pm

think i got it figured out now....just ripped it all apart, lubed up the rubber parts, fine sanded the plastic parts..and seems to be holding air now.

CorradoWest
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Central Coast, California
Favorite Beaches: X
Gear: Naish/North
Has thanked: 0

Postby CorradoWest » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:30 am

Hey Chirojoseph,
My last kite session I had the same problem with my Naish 12M Pivot. I did the bubble test this morning and found the same thing you did, a very slow leak at the main inflation valve. Could you kindly expand on how you resolved the issue? I am hesitant "rip apart" anything. Your experience and a more detailed instruction will be a big help to me as well as others.
Thanks!
CW

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:06 pm

CorradoWest wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:30 am
Hey Chirojoseph,
My last kite session I had the same problem with my Naish 12M Pivot. I did the bubble test this morning and found the same thing you did, a very slow leak at the main inflation valve. Could you kindly expand on how you resolved the issue? I am hesitant "rip apart" anything. Your experience and a more detailed instruction will be a big help to me as well as others.
Thanks!
CW
So there is a slow leak when the top screw lid is closed? Or when it is open?
Did you try to just blow little on it in case there is sand stuck down there?

CorradoWest
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Central Coast, California
Favorite Beaches: X
Gear: Naish/North
Has thanked: 0

Postby CorradoWest » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:17 pm

So there is a slow leak when the top screw lid is closed? Or when it is open?
Did you try to just blow little on it in case there is sand stuck down there?
The leak was from between the valve seat and the main screw (not the top screw-lid which was closed). Admittedly I did not attempt to blow away any possible sand. It looked really clean, but I will have to give that a try. I was considering removing the o-ring (if that is possible) and checking /cleaning it. I was also considering putting silicon grease on the o-ring, but was concerned about it attracting more sand.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:10 pm

Zip tie the valve easy fix

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: ¤°

Postby POACHER » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:52 pm

Yeah on any kites that run Boston valves you have to be pretty cautious with sand getting in that O ring. Pumping my 14m Pivot a couple weeks ago I could feel the kite way softer when I was ready to launch. I went back and checked the valve and the O ring was actually unseated and a some sand was in the channel. Cleaned / reseated the O ring and it's back to normal.

I've had that same issue with Cabs, Switch and others. Part of the pre-flight inspection now.

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Phan Rang, Kingfisher
Style: Waves
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer

Postby magnusod » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:54 pm

Also, be careful when you pack the kite. I had my Pivot packed pretty tight when I traveled and also had a slow leak when started to use it. It turned out that the threaded cap had deformed the lower part on the v-shaped area that seals against the rubber gasket.
Luckily plastic is viscoelastic so after a while it regained its original shape.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:34 pm

magnusod wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:54 pm
Also, be careful when you pack the kite. I had my Pivot packed pretty tight when I traveled and also had a slow leak when started to use it. It turned out that the threaded cap had deformed the lower part on the v-shaped area that seals against the rubber gasket.
Luckily plastic is viscoelastic so after a while it regained its original shape.
I didn't know that could happen. I always screw the top very loosely when I roll up the kite. I remember my old evo would leak like hell if I left (tried to) the struts inflated over night, but these are made of a much harder plastic.

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:26 pm

I was always under the impression the issue with the Naish inflation system was simply that it makes repairing a strut or leading edge bladder more difficult. After seeing the OP's photo it looks pretty simple to me as to how it comes apart and goes back together. Not talking about the merits of the one-way valves but just simply the skill needed to pull it apart and get it back together. Thanks.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:13 pm

It can't be that hard as there are people in china (?) banging out hundreds of these every week, like all things it's just learning the technique. Looks like the original poster has a neat little tool there to help.

Return to “Kitesurfing”