Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Xr5 6m or 5m Boost 2 top end ??

forum for kitesurfers

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Copenhagen, most of Denmark and northern Germany.
Style: Biting off more than I can usually chew.
Gear: XR5, Fusion 3.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Xr5 6m or 5m Boost 2 top end ??

Postby SaltWaterDog » Wed May 30, 2018 9:58 pm

SENDIT! wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:32 pm
SaltWaterDog wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 8:48 pm
baxterbradford wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 pm
I'd recommend checking out the 7m XR5, before deciding that the 6m is the one for you should you opt to go with Core. A friend has the 7m and it is a massive jump down from the 9m XR5 and when compared with a 7m Ozone Edge V9, both inflated, it sat inside it....! I can say from experience that the 11m XR5 is quite a handful in 40kt winds.... it wasn't pretty but I managed to get back to the beach after it had increased from 25/28kts.
Sorry, just want to make sure that’s not a typo. You had the 11 out in 40kts? Friend of mine is pro and rides 9 in +35kts when the rest of us mortals are on 7s and 6s. Someone sporting an 11 at nearly double the indicated wind range sounds a bit outrageous. Not making accusations but would appreciate if you could elaborate..
I'm not sure about him, but I've been on a Flite 17 in 22-26 knots on 3 different occasions. I didn't do it intentionally nor did I enjoy it, but I was able to ride it back in every time. I'm 230 pies and was riding a Mako 150. I rode a Prodigy 8m in 35-43 knots last year in the OBX, fully powered up. Maybe if this guy's as heavy as I am, was riding a small board, and was riding SUPER slow straight upwind, keeping the kite right on the water...maybe?
I take your points and I’m not saying it’s impossible but I can’t get my head around why you would do it. I love the 12m and it’s remarkably calm and solid even above 25kts but definitely caps out at that point. Then I switch to the 9. Doubling the wind speed means quadruple power, most of us know that. 11m in 40kts? Yikes.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Wed May 30, 2018 11:50 pm

Sometimes you get caught on a downwinder and just have to get home or at least find a landing spot so you do whatever you have to with what you launched with. No one goes out with that kite in those conditions, I hope!

baxterbradford
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth, UK
Gear: Foil, surfboard, twintip & 8-18m kites

Postby baxterbradford » Thu May 31, 2018 2:13 pm

SaltWaterDog wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 8:48 pm
baxterbradford wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 pm
I'd recommend checking out the 7m XR5, before deciding that the 6m is the one for you should you opt to go with Core. A friend has the 7m and it is a massive jump down from the 9m XR5 and when compared with a 7m Ozone Edge V9, both inflated, it sat inside it....! I can say from experience that the 11m XR5 is quite a handful in 40kt winds.... it wasn't pretty but I managed to get back to the beach after it had increased from 25/28kts.
Sorry, just want to make sure that’s not a typo. You had the 11 out in 40kts? Friend of mine is pro and rides 9 in +35kts when the rest of us mortals are on 7s and 6s. Someone sporting an 11 at nearly double the indicated wind range sounds a bit outrageous. Not making accusations but would appreciate if you could elaborate..
When I went out at a very flatwater spot it was 24-28kts. Wind picked up significantly whilst out, so that survival conditions. Checked met data when I was back and yes, peak was 40kts. I am a heavyweight! Friend who is lighter was out on 9m XR5 trying out new speed board.

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Copenhagen, most of Denmark and northern Germany.
Style: Biting off more than I can usually chew.
Gear: XR5, Fusion 3.

Postby SaltWaterDog » Thu May 31, 2018 4:29 pm

Thanks Baxter. I suspected your reason was meteorological and not suicidal. Hehe. Glad it didn’t go sideways for you.

Return to “Kitesurfing”