D746
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Freeride
Gear: Takoon
Brand Affiliation: None

Rebel with shorter backlines

Postby D746 » Thu May 31, 2018 9:31 am

Anyone ride their rebels with a bit shorter backlines? I have long arms and feel i have to sheet in too much when boosting. Kite also feel a bit sluggish when stering if i not fully sheet in. Its a 2014 10m

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Re: Rebel with shorter backlines

Postby knotwindy » Thu May 31, 2018 4:47 pm

Have you checked the line lengths to make sure they are all even at full power? Gotta start there.

Dan-at-Duotone
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: yes
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Thu May 31, 2018 4:59 pm

Second what Knotwindy said, though generally front lines tend to stretch more than back lines (technically they shrink less) so usually you need to lengthen your outside lines over time. You can always try shortening your front lines though if that's how you prefer to ride, just be aware that if they get too short you may find the kite stalling when you sheet in all the way and losing power through turns/loops. Then again, some people specifically tune their kite that way (used to be the thing for racers to do) so could be that you like an oversheeted kite.

-Dan

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu May 31, 2018 9:59 pm

Try it and find out yourself, dont listen to advice regarding this !

Easy to just shorten the rear lines a bit on the leaders, and see how it goes.

Measuring if equal does not make any sense IMO, as we all prefer different trim settings.

Usually in the long run you might want to lengthen the rearlines though, as they get shorter than the frontlines over time - but if you feel you have to sheet to much in, shorten the rearlines and go :naughty:

I always shorten my rearlines straight away on new kites/bars, as I am one who prefer the kites to ride "tight" when I want to, and I need to be able to feel the stall point to utilize the kites to their max :rollgrin:

You might also find that you DONT want shorter rearlines, as you might choke the kite instead, but lets hear from you how it goes.

8) Peter

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Thu May 31, 2018 10:15 pm

Measuring if equal does not make any sense IMO, as we all prefer different trim settings.

If you are using more than 1 kite with the same bar, it is easier sometimes to set the bar equal and adjust each kite at the bridle/rear pigtails on the kite so when 1 kite is reacting oddly you can work with just that kite knowing the lines on the bar are easily measured to be correct.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Thu May 31, 2018 11:00 pm

You can experiment next time you go out by shortening a couple inches or so under the bar floats

Make sure you are in the correct wind speed to boost / ride with a 10 m...personally 10 Reb is for around 25 kn

Another thing you should look at is the " shape " of the kite in the sky

Does it look too spread out or too curved .....Rebels are finicky and need a nice proper shape to perform at their best

The safety line starting at metal ring of the " V " that runs to the central noseline could be in bad ratio compared to the front lines

If that line is too short compared to front lines then the kite shape gets flattened out = bad

If that line is too long compared to front lines then the kite shape gets curved in = bad

Both scenario above can lead to poor flying caracteristics and steering

So consider that also when tuning your 10 m

I fly 5 different size of Rebels close to your 2014 year and each have their lines on all the time

Each kite needed a somewhat different tuning to have them all fly perfectly.....with back lines length and safety line length

Good luck
Be safe
Have fun

D746
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Freeride
Gear: Takoon

Postby D746 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:25 pm

5th line is slack below y and equall with front lines above y to kite. Front and rear lines were equall to begin with. Now i have shorten The backlines with 10cm. Feels much better, can "hang" on the bar when jumping now. I can feel The stall when full sheeted in. Feels god and similar to old kites

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:19 pm

D746 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:25 pm
5th line is slack below y and equal with front lines above y to kite.
Glad you are doing much better
5th line above y being equal to front lines is not always correct for ideal kite shape from rider point of view...not too flat ...not too curved
Sometimes that line need to be extended 5cm or more to have the kite turn faster and depower more like it was designed to do

Return to “Kitesurfing”