Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Once upon a time, before foiling as we know it...

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

galewarning
Medium Poster
Gear: 15.5m Switch Helium2, 11m Switch Element5, 10m Switch Nitro4, 9m Slingshot '17 Rally, 7m Switch Element4, 6m Slingshot Z
Slingshot: Alien Air/Hoverslide H5, 5'4" Convert, 159 Glide; Switch 135 MJ Comp1
Brand Affiliation: None directly, but I do have friends in the industry and I'm guilty of having strong opinions.

Once upon a time, before foiling as we know it...

Postby galewarning » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:09 pm

Yeah, I know, there's a pole and a boom, but it's still pretty cool. Too bad the clip doesn't show the foil...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcjhu190U3A

phpBB [video]

Seabizzle
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2
Local Beach: Woodmans point, Leighton, Cottesloe, Scarborough
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui, Augusta Western Australia, Lancelin Western Australia
Style: Surf, Freeride
Gear: BWS Noise pro 10m, BWS noise classic 6m, Naish Fly 17m, Wainman Gambler 5'10"(R.I.P.) North Pro series 6'2, unidentified twin tip
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Once upon a time, before foiling as we know it...

Postby Seabizzle » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:20 pm

The video raises an interesting point in the caption at the end "why did it take so long to catch on"

Realistically it would have been possible to design and build foils with the functionality and usability of todays foils but the R and D and the market drive wasn't there, but why did it take so long?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kp, MBay, Rond
Favorite Beaches: Kp, MBay, Rond, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Gen4 Prodigy 5m and 7m
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Mako Classic 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Galaxy board
Engine Harness and sliding

Postby Laughingman » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:55 pm

The airchair and the like have been around for years... I can find information dating back to the early 1980s. When I first saw KBHF its the first thing I thought of but I could not get a clear answer if it would work behind a kite or not. I got my answer in La Ventana earlier this year. I saw a guy using the AirChair and having a blast with his kite. Jumping super high and flying around so fast. No need to switch feet or anything just sit and go. Was fun to watch too.

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 4
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:07 pm

I too wonder how this took so long to catch on, especially given that windfoiling is in my experience way easier than kitefoiling.

nothing2seehere
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: Kitesurfing and windsurfing

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:33 am

Almost certainly it didn't catch on because windsurfing is really difficult to learn and few wanted to make it even harder.

Plus. Unlike with kitesurfing you already have a nice floaty platform and 30 years ago everyone was doing acrobatics (handstands and the like) for light wind entertainment. There has always been stuff to do in light wind with a windsurfer - as long as you don't crave speed, you can still get out on the water.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Tawas, MI; OBX; SPI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Slingshot Turbine 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Moses 71cm/42” masts 590/633 wings, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 42", MBS Comp 95x

For sale: MHL Lift 2013, Slingshot Coupe 6'

Postby grigorib » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:33 pm

Yeah....also someone please explain how comes we have uglier than death aluminum foil sets still being sold new, or why there was a huge focus on racing and gap in low aspect - high area foil wings offering in last couple of years

drone
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby drone » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:42 am

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2050
Style: Yes
Gear: North Dice
Shinn Monk the One
North Nugget
Zeeko foil

Postby Lokihel » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:04 am

Interesting design.
It was actually a triplane! And the big vertical stabiliser below the foil must have been something you buy by the dozen :lol:

I wonder if anyone still has one lying around.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:26 pm

Seabizzle wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:20 pm
The video raises an interesting point in the caption at the end "why did it take so long to catch on"

Realistically it would have been possible to design and build foils with the functionality and usability of todays foils but the R and D and the market drive wasn't there, but why did it take so long?
Neil Pryde Maui did develop and market a windsurf board with an aluminium foil - developed with Rush Randle.
Antoine Albeau says he windsurfed it before 2000 and bought one of the foils, which he still has and uses (I think this is it in this wakefoil clip). As he says, it didn't catch on, but it did work. There was a video of Rush Randle windfoiling it and it looked very similar to windfoiling on today's foils.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 3493963867

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Habo Ljung, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards 5-0
TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 135
Moses Fluente 548/550/590/330/325
North Mono 7, 9, 12
Ozone Reo 5
Ozone Hyperlink 9UL

Postby TomW » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:34 pm

1: cheaper/ better CAD
2. Cheaper / better CNC
3. Cheaper / better Carbon and epoxy composites and vacuum technology
4. The Internet
5. E- commerce

Return to “Hydrofoil”