Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Kaunas
Gear: Flusurfer Soul 12, 21m
Flysplit 2 board
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Lightwind kiteboard build, planing ahead

Postby phuqit » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:30 am

Alright, first test results are in. I am not at all convinced infusion is the way to go now. While the 250g unidirectional carbon + 200g biax works just fine when laminated upon red cedar, and ~60cm x 20cm piece holds my weight just fine, I need to figure out how to laminate it consistently... Vacuum wasn't perfect though, first lesson learned...

phuqit
Rare Poster
Flysplit 2 board

Postby phuqit » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:09 pm

Alright, finally started with the real thing. Made a shape from the PVC board, then cut out the core ~1cm less than the final shape, will be sanding the edges and tips from 10mm to 3mm, then will pour the epoxy + carbon powder rails and inserts/fin reinforcements. Can't get proper PU or ABS rails within reasonable timeframe, so epoxy will have to do for now.
IMG_20180713_134839.jpg

fluidity
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Old Flexfoil 9, Switch Element V4 11m, Ocean Rodeo Prodigy 7m 2014, Nitro14m v6, Nitro9m v6 12mSwitch Legacy2
DIY CAD ultra-concave wave twintips 1500 and 130mm with my own fin designs. Easy upwind, awesome carving.

Postby fluidity » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:50 am

phuqit wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:09 pm
Alright, finally started with the real thing. Made a shape from the PVC board, then cut out the core ~1cm less than the final shape, will be sanding the edges and tips from 10mm to 3mm, then will pour the epoxy + carbon powder rails and inserts/fin reinforcements. Can't get proper PU or ABS rails within reasonable timeframe, so epoxy will have to do for now.
I see your belt sander on the table. I've stayed well away from those things for years now! Fast but terrible for getting a flat surface!
Got my own vacuum pump now as I'm also gearing up for some infusion moulding 8)

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1970
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:42 pm

No need for perfect flat on top, providing the wood IS dressed well.

phuqit
Rare Poster
Flysplit 2 board

Postby phuqit » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:36 pm

I've finished the core - it was 3-4mm at the tips, and ~9mm at the center. Gradual thinning was done starting around 5cm from the pads area - hopefully that doesn't compromise the strength of the core too much.

Then, I've done the rails. It was messy as f***, infusion epoxy gets into every tiny little hole there is. I've used a PVC blank as base, and a cutout of a real board in same PVC sheet. Laid it down, pressed it down with bricks, then poured epoxy + 10% of carbon fiber powder mix into the rails. It started coming out from every possible hole there was, had to move it onto a plexi sheet to avoid damaging my living room floor :)

Putting the inserts failed miserably as well - I should have secured the bottom with a tape first, now half of the epoxy just bled out onto the bottom. Separating the outline PVC board from the bottom wasn't trivial either - cut my fingers couple of times - epoxy+carbon is sharp! Destroyed the bottom PVC board when doing that, too - it broke in a couple of places. Other than that, the rail is pretty tough - made a few samples, tried to break them with a hammer - no luck. Will use the same compound to pour fin holders and fins themselves, just for fun.

Now, I need to sand off the extra epoxy and trim the rail (outline moved during the rescue-the-floor phase) to something like 5-6mm. Gotta get myself a respirator for that, carbon dust is bad for your lungs I hear.

Other than that, I'm quite happy with the result. Sanding and pouring the inserts (again) tomorrow, and laminating (hopefully) in a couple of days. With luck, I should be able to test drive it over the weekend!

not final, I thinned it quite a bit more
IMG_20180713_181417.jpg
playing Queen - Under pressure ft David Bowie in the background
IMG_20180713_194419.jpg
top view
IMG_20180715_174240.jpg
bottom - dat bleed radius :(
IMG_20180715_174311.jpg
insert, barely stuck with all the epoxy that bled out
IMG_20180715_174337.jpg

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1970
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:02 pm

Good effort man!

It's a journey which counts, not the destination:)

To help you with the destination, a lot can be 'premade', and the rails are #1 to solve before going further :)

I'll post again how I'm doing it and how fast this can be once you crack it!

Trust me, well worth of investing in a mold etc...

D.

phuqit
Rare Poster
Flysplit 2 board

Postby phuqit » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:21 pm

Hey mate, I've read all your posts, and I appreciate the amount of know-how you bring into the discussion. I'm just trying to get something going as soon as possible, and waiting for shipment from USA is a bloody showstopper. Can't get proper PU here in EU :(

thewindego
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Gear: core and windego boards

Postby thewindego » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:54 pm

Next time you might want to try no abs or epoxy rails just let the top skins meet and add another 1in 20oz glass or so around the perimeter instead. If you look at a new boards like to ozone torque as an example.

I have been doing this for some years in a pneumatic press with great results. The thickness is easily adjustable and no headache with pouring rails as you have experienced.

I go for 2-3mm rail that is 80oz eglass thick. Solid as heck and if you ever do really mess it up totally repairable. The tips and fin area is only glass and makes an area to adjust flex. I have done various rails fills with abs/pvc/pu /epoxy /hdpe and have now find this the best...your mileasge may vary.

Cheers
Stan
Attachments
rail.jpg

Return to “Board Builders”