Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: 2013 Cabrinha Switchblade 10m, 2017 Airish Lithium 8m
Bars: 2016 Cabrinha, 2013 Cabrinha, 2013 Airush
Boards: Cabrinha Custom 133, Cabrinha Prototype 134
Brand Affiliation: None

Bar and kite compatibility

Postby GooseZA » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:29 pm

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to ask if anyone has some extra knowledge on bar and kite compatibility. A friend of mine had a 2017 Cabrinha switchblade 7m and a 2013 Cabrinha bar. We shortly found out that the kite doesn't depower.
I have a 2016 Cabrinha Bar and a 2013 Switchblade - are these compatible. I've flown this combination a couple times and it feels fine. but I just want to make sure.
Also, I have a 2017 Airush Lithium 8m. The only bar I have from Airush is a 2013 bar, it's not in the best shape and would prefer to use my 2016 Cabrinha bar.
Does anyone know or have any experience in the compatibility of a later Cabrinha bar with and Airush kite?

Thanks for any info.

Pemba
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Ozone C4, Brokite Hybrid

Re: Bar and kite compatibility

Postby Pemba » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:32 am

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: No brand affiliation

Postby alexeyga » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:23 pm

GooseZA wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:29 pm
Just wanted to ask if anyone has some extra knowledge on bar and kite compatibility. A friend of mine had a 2017 Cabrinha switchblade 7m and a 2013 Cabrinha bar. We shortly found out that the kite doesn't depower.
What do you mean by "doesn't depower"? It doesn't flag or you can't control power by sheeting in/out?
In fist case - it's normal, Cabrinha used to flag on 2 front lines up until 2013-14ish (i don't remember exactly). Hence you old bar isn't compatible with a newer kite.
In second case - just check you lines - front ones are probably waaaay over-stretched (under-shrunk vs the rear ones actually) and must be adjusted - which still wouldn't make it complatible safety-wise.

Same exact story with Airush. They used to release on 2 front lines up until 2013-14ish... so you can use newer bars with older kites, but not the other way around.

So your 2016 Cab's bar will work perfectly on either.

GooseZA
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Local Beach: Kanaha
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: 2013 Cabrinha Switchblade 10m, 2017 Airish Lithium 8m
Bars: 2016 Cabrinha, 2013 Cabrinha, 2013 Airush
Boards: Cabrinha Custom 133, Cabrinha Prototype 134

Postby GooseZA » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:41 pm

alexeyga wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:23 pm
GooseZA wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:29 pm
What do you mean by "doesn't depower"? It doesn't flag or you can't control power by sheeting in/out?
In fist case - it's normal, Cabrinha used to flag on 2 front lines up until 2013-14ish (i don't remember exactly). Hence you old bar isn't compatible with a newer kite.
In second case - just check you lines - front ones are probably waaaay over-stretched (under-shrunk vs the rear ones actually) and must be adjusted - which still wouldn't make it complatible safety-wise.

Same exact story with Airush. They used to release on 2 front lines up until 2013-14ish... so you can use newer bars with older kites, but not the other way around.

So your 2016 Cab's bar will work perfectly on either.
Yes, when I say it doesnt depower, like its literally fully powered constantly, trying to depower the kite (using the pulley system on center lines) did nothing. I did not ride it so only know what i was told (the bar was mine and he wanted to try it before buying it). He also said that when he popped the safety it didn't fully depower either. He was pretty rattled when he came to shore saying the kite didnt completely depower when you used the safety.

for your other advice, im glad to hear that there is better backward compatibility in regards to newer bars and older kites. I just bought the 2017 8m Airush Lithium and it came with the 2013 bar, so im sort of sketched out after my friends experience to use an old bar without checking compatibility. I will measure out my lines and compare, make sure they all good and i guess ill just try it out on a lighter day. Rig them up and just check everything over, check the safety etc make sure everything works as expected.

Return to “Kitesurfing”