Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Oceanus kite reels: i still see them

forum for kitesurfers

Foil
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Newbrighton near Liverpool
Favorite Beaches: Flag beach for the Foil, Rhosneigr for the Foil and twintip.
Style: improving foiler.
Gear: Moses T38 full carbon Ltd edition.
101cmMoses Carbon mast
Moses- 633 wave wing and stab
Moses 2018 637 race wing and stab,
Ozone Reo 6/8/9/10/12/
Nobile 50/50 twin tip
North 2018 click bars
massive grin
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Oceanus kite reels: i still see them

Postby Foil » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:56 am

Twin tips for 19 years, now foil board for 13 months,
Rarely on the twin tip, apart from when the currents are strong or out for long distances,and a lot on holidays where rescue is not reliable, always uncliped when conditions are good and boosting big is on the menu.

Now on a foil and due to the massive distances out to sea, Its on, and in use most of the time, only now I have a 3 ft extender line with a clip at the board end and a clip at the reel end, for quick release in case of tangles.
On a foil you can get out(yesterday) in very marginal conditions and if the kite hits the water it may take a while to get it back up, the leash is then a very helpful bit of kit, allowing you to concentrate on the kite.
And to prove this point two of us were out yesterday in sketchy winds with a strong current, the wind died and we both headed for shore as fast as possible,I jumped in and used both arms to loop the kite quickly to pull me back in and left the board following on the leash, kat, the other rider was also in the water on her way back in, let go of her board due to a falling kite and then a gust hit which demanded both hands back on to the bar for control and then the kite went down and game over, it took a while to retrieve her board as the current took it cross shore along the shore line but 100 yards out, but her partner who is a very good swimmer, ran along the beach and went after it and managed to collect it.
In the right conditions the reel leash from oceananas is a brilliant bit of kit, you need to modify the loose end by clipping on a 3 foot long 6mm line with a clip on each end to prevent the board tapping you as it slowly returns, as on the foil you may catch the wings with your feet.
whenever I use the leash (a lot) I carry my pack of 3 mini rocket flares, and of course a small deck knife made by whichard,
both safely tucked away in my crash jacket.

This thread reminds me of the talk about handles on boards,
the people who remove them as it looks more cool,
what a load of bull.
same as a lot of talk on here about this great bit of kit.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: West Sussex
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:39 am

I have about 2m/6' cord attached to my harness but stowed out of the way on the back of it. It's there to attach the board to me in case the board is not on my feet and I need both hands to deal with a 'recalcitrant' kite.

nothing2seehere
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: Kitesurfing and windsurfing

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:09 pm

Foil wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:56 am
Twin tips for 19 years, now foil board for 13 months,
Rarely on the twin tip, apart from when the currents are strong or out for long distances,and a lot on holidays where rescue is not reliable, always uncliped when conditions are good and boosting big is on the menu.

Now on a foil and due to the massive distances out to sea, Its on, and in use most of the time, only now I have a 3 ft extender line with a clip at the board end and a clip at the reel end, for quick release in case of tangles.
On a foil you can get out(yesterday) in very marginal conditions and if the kite hits the water it may take a while to get it back up, the leash is then a very helpful bit of kit, allowing you to concentrate on the kite.
And to prove this point two of us were out yesterday in sketchy winds with a strong current, the wind died and we both headed for shore as fast as possible,I jumped in and used both arms to loop the kite quickly to pull me back in and left the board following on the leash, kat, the other rider was also in the water on her way back in, let go of her board due to a falling kite and then a gust hit which demanded both hands back on to the bar for control and then the kite went down and game over, it took a while to retrieve her board as the current took it cross shore along the shore line but 100 yards out, but her partner who is a very good swimmer, ran along the beach and went after it and managed to collect it.
In the right conditions the reel leash from oceananas is a brilliant bit of kit, you need to modify the loose end by clipping on a 3 foot long 6mm line with a clip on each end to prevent the board tapping you as it slowly returns, as on the foil you may catch the wings with your feet.
whenever I use the leash (a lot) I carry my pack of 3 mini rocket flares, and of course a small deck knife made by whichard,

This thread reminds me of the talk about handles on boards,
the people who remove them as it looks more cool,
what a load of bull.
same as a lot of talk on here about this great bit of kit.
Interesting situation. Its difficult to remove the prejudice that the Oceanus reel is a way of masking poor technique but I appreciate that local conditions can make a big difference and there isn't one solution for every situation. I'm fortunate that although the local currents are strong enough to carry a twin tip away, the bobbing motion of a foilboard is enough to help it move downwind (or often across the wind).

Do you attach your leash to the front of your board? Intuitively attaching to the rear feels like it might make it more likely to breach following a fall. Interested to hear what experiences you have with that.

This video from Mackiteboarding changed the way I looked at self rescue with a foil board.

Glad Kat was reunited with her board. That is a hard way to learn not to let go of your board. Fortunately it didn't tangle into the lines of her kite as it drifted away. Straddling the board when your kite hits the water helps to develop line tension which in turn helps to relaunch the kite. As a side benefit it helps keep the foil away from the lines floating in the water. That would be my main worry during a relaunch with a foil floating attached to a leash. I have only had my foil tangled in my lines once so far. It was a pain whilst the kite was flying in the air and I had line tension to reduce the chance of further tangling. It seems like it would more frustrating to have to sort it out with the kite in the water.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle and Airstyle
Gear: Liquid Force NRG, FS Speed 4 Lotus, Pansh Aurora II,
RRD Poison, Axis Ltd, RRD BS45, SS Glide, SS Ankle Biter

Postby FLandOBX » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:33 pm

dazarter wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:14 am
...... For many riding areas a leash and yes the roll-leash is certainly the safest leash to use, can save you from a long long swim , a ruined session and a lost board.

They are not build for the extremes like airtime big jumps etc etc and certainly not for storms and extreme winds....
One of the dangers in using a board leash is that people get used to them and begin to rely on them for security. So, while they may intend to use the leash only for lawn mowing and light wind sessions, they still want the extra security of the leash when the wind picks up and they head out in more extreme conditions. That is, IMHO, when the accidents tend to happen.

Here is another related question: Do all of you riders who use a board leash also wear a helmet? My thought is that one of the risks of using a board leash might be diminished somewhat by wearing a helmet.

[Disclaimer: I have never used a board leash. I can't imagine that I ever will. I sometimes wear a helmet, but not as often as I should.]

Foil
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Newbrighton near Liverpool
Favorite Beaches: Flag beach for the Foil, Rhosneigr for the Foil and twintip.
Style: improving foiler.
Gear: Moses T38 full carbon Ltd edition.
101cmMoses Carbon mast
Moses- 633 wave wing and stab
Moses 2018 637 race wing and stab,
Ozone Reo 6/8/9/10/12/
Nobile 50/50 twin tip
North 2018 click bars
massive grin

Postby Foil » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:34 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:09 pm
Foil wrote:

Do you attach your leash to the front of your board? Intuitively attaching to the rear feels like it might make it more likely to breach following a fall. Interested to hear what experiences you have with that.
only to the rear of my 2 foil boards, never to the front)
The board when being pulled by the leash forces the board on to its side and tries to pull me back which can be a pain as sometimes I try to get back to shore by looping the kite for power if the wind has disappeared and I have to keep looping the kite quite fast, but this helps when trying to get line tension for relaunching the kite.
The board cannot lift out of the water when attached to the rear,neither does it dive, it just drags on its side offering resistance.
When the leash is not attached I always leave the reel in place on my harness, and often use the 3ft extension with clips to wrap around my kite whilst carrying it back to the car park with my board, its brilliant for this as well.
And again for those that think it must spring back, it cant, its a nylon webbing strap, if you really do get mullered by a wave and the leash goes to full length and stops unwinding, you can as I have had happen, either snap a clip, or more recently snapped the nylon webbing, no spring backs ever, the webbing is around 20ft long.

beebad
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Chesapeak, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: South PAdre Island, Mirlo Beach-NC,
Gear: 9m, 12m Cabrinha, Cabrinha Spectrum, ACE,

Postby beebad » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:48 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:39 am
I have about 2m/6' cord attached to my harness but stowed out of the way on the back of it. It's there to attach the board to me in case the board is not on my feet and I need both hands to deal with a 'recalcitrant' kite.
Yes i have an extra safety leash ( the one attached to the flagging line) attached to my harness for the same purpose.

beebad
Medium Poster

Postby beebad » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:52 pm

Foil wrote:

thankyou...can you post a picture of the short section clipped at both ends....are you kidding about the flares?

beebad
Medium Poster

Postby beebad » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:55 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:33 pm
dazarter wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:14 am
...... For many riding areas a leash and yes the roll-leash is certainly the safest leash to use, can save you from a long long swim , a ruined session and a lost board.

They are not build for the extremes like airtime big jumps etc etc and certainly not for storms and extreme winds....
One of the dangers in using a board leash is that people get used to them and begin to rely on them for security. So, while they may intend to use the leash only for lawn mowing and light wind sessions, they still want the extra security of the leash when the wind picks up and they head out in more extreme conditions. That is, IMHO, when the accidents tend to happen.

Here is another related question: Do all of you riders who use a board leash also wear a helmet? My thought is that one of the risks of using a board leash might be diminished somewhat by wearing a helmet.

[Disclaimer: I have never used a board leash. I can't imagine that I ever will. I sometimes wear a helmet, but not as often as I should.]
I will test out my oceanus on friday and i always always wear a helmet, climbing, biking, sailing and going up in the attic.

BigBafana
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009

Postby BigBafana » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:24 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:33 pm

I have never worn a helmet before for kiteboarding. As the Reel Leash also has a controlled slow return I’ve also never ever thought about the board crashing against my noggin and I’ve never been in a situation where the board ever came close to my head, I mean in a dangerous type of way.

You got to understand that the board return is really slow. There is no whipping of the leash as it doesn’t have any bungee action.

beebad
Medium Poster

Postby beebad » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:23 am

Today I finally pulled the trigger and used my Oceanus reel with my 12m kite.

I am sold....what a great piece of kit, as they say....

i am in the OBX for a few days and did a long downwinder today and I crashed maybe 2 times and my board was right there where i needed it. There was no violent kiteboard flying through the air....the board came back to me very slow and controlled....i never became separated from my board which is great!!!!

i had to keep checking the knot to be sure it would not come untied...have to figure out a beter way to attach the braided line to board....

The board would sometimes find its way wrapped around me in the wrong position or I could figure out immediately what side or how it wrapped around me.... but, i like the idea of never becoming separated from my board....The wind tomorrow is supposed to be much stronger so maybe I will get to use my new 7m, but it will be a 9m or a 7m day at least for a few hours!!!! I plan on putting this thing to a high wind test...

Return to “Kitesurfing”