Local Beach: Blouberg
Style: Freeride
Gear: Fone bandit
Liquid force Envy
Brand Affiliation: None

Naish Pivot vs Fone Bandit

Postby williamkros » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:35 pm

Hi Everyone

I am currently flying a 2016 Bandit 9m. I weight 75kg and use the 9m mostly in Blouberg in winds ranging from 16 - 25 knots. I mostly like boosting and started learning to loop a few months back.

I am considering buying either a 2018 Bandit or a 2018 Pivot, and I'm looking to buy a 10m.

A few of my concerns, I have read that the Pivot has a great low-end, so I was hoping to get some insight on it's top-end specifically because I'm looking to go from a 9m-10m? Also the bandit is very responsive and the loops are easy (for a beginner at least), would the Pivot be the same?

And then just in general is the Pivot a good booster and if you can compare the two kites, any general feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Guincho, Sylt
Style: Big air, waves
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Dash, Global, Skater, Motion

Re: Naish Pivot vs Fone Bandit

Postby Dirk » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:32 pm

I am riding Pivots and rode a friends Bandit (10m, I think the 2017 version) once. Liked the Bandit also. Would not mind to have a quiver of those.
The Pivots have a very good low end but they do not have a wider range than other kites. So you can ride 1m smaller (which is nice) and have the same range.
I am the same weight, in your windrange 16-25 with 20knots as sweet spot I am riding my 8m (My quiver: 11m/8m Pivot, 7m/5m Slash)

Compared to the Bandit I would go one size down on the Pivot. The Bandit has more C-shape and the Pivot is a somewhat more open. I also have a Naish Dash(C-Hybrid) in 9m and my 8m Pivot has a similar range.

Pivots are great jumpers and are every well suited to learn kiteloops (Personally, I am only doing heliloops).

Here is a facebook link to a 2019 Naish dealer meeting where quite a lot of insights to the kites (and boards) are given:

https://www.facebook.com/kitesurfing.ma ... f=mentions

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby tautologies » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:06 pm

williamkros wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:35 pm
Hi Everyone

I am currently flying a 2016 Bandit 9m. I weight 75kg and use the 9m mostly in Blouberg in winds ranging from 16 - 25 knots. I mostly like boosting and started learning to loop a few months back.

I am considering buying either a 2018 Bandit or a 2018 Pivot, and I'm looking to buy a 10m.

A few of my concerns, I have read that the Pivot has a great low-end, so I was hoping to get some insight on it's top-end specifically because I'm looking to go from a 9m-10m? Also the bandit is very responsive and the loops are easy (for a beginner at least), would the Pivot be the same?

And then just in general is the Pivot a good booster and if you can compare the two kites, any general feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
I can't help you much with the Bandit comparison. My Bandit was so long ago it has little to do with the current ones. I do know a bit about the Pivot tho.

I think it has great range. I rode my 9 to well over 30 knots. I do weight more than you, but I think it has great range. I also think one of the standout features is that it feels controllable and rideable in higher ranges.
Both the 10 and 9 are monster boosters, but the 10 is extraordinary IMO.

It's great to loop on. It's also very controllable in that you can totally let out some power whenever you need to.

I'm sure you've seen this, but the master at work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uYPknhKwog

juanpasala
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
Cabo de la Vela
San Andres
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 10 / Core XR3 8 / Contra 17
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cabrinha Double Agent

Postby juanpasala » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:32 pm

Hi,

Cant help with the Bandit comparison, but can comment on the top end of the pivot.
I weight 90kg and my 10m pivot is rideable up to 32-35 knots, from there on it gets a bit dificult to steer it due to the slack on the back lines, but overall it is an amazing kite.
Regarding Kiteloops it is an easy kite to loop due to the moderate pull and fast loops it makes.

Return to “Kitesurfing”