Gear: Switchblade/Nomad/Drifter/Pivot/Rebel/Nitro
Underground FLX 132
F-One Mitu Monteiro Pro
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Nick Jacobsen leaves Cabrinha team

Postby Lanc » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:34 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:52 am
I'm sure Marc Jacobs fell into this category 2 years ago. From what I remember he changed from his Switch kite mid heat and borrowed a North Kite to finish the heat. I remember there was a lot of trash talk about how Switch not putting in the effort to capitalise on publicity because they should have shipped him off there with X spare kites and similar comments.

Can't remember if the problem was an equipment malfunction or whether it was just the wind lulling and he didn't have a bigger kite to change up to.
See Marc Jacobs at North Kite now ?
felixp wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:31 pm
Hello
Thank you for your concern.
Marc did not go to North. As Marc was waiting for his heat to start his 8m Legacy was sitting too close to the shore break. A tidal serge came up took his kite and swept it over some sharp rocks and shells, causing damage.
He then relocated and by the time he realized the damage was there it was to late to fix as his heat was up next. He did not want to take any risks flying in these harsh conditions with any damage to his gear.

He did mention:
If he was on his Legacy he most likely would have advanced. He was super bummed out. He only travelled with one 8m to the Event and had to fly a kite that did not work for his needs at the very last minute.
You learn from mistakes and get wiser and stronger for the next battle.
Great Effort for his first King of the Air.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Scheveningen, Domburg, Rilland, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Binnenschelde, Vrouwenpolder, Oostvoorne, Rockanje, Grevelingen, Borssele.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Switch Helium V1 18m Element V3 13m-7m V4 9m-5m Legacy V1 10m-14m Slingshot Fuel 2005
Switch MJComp V2 136x41.5 Firewire Hellrazor 6.1 timbertek Shinn Shinnster Nobile 555 125x38

Postby Faxie » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:39 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:52 am
RE: Having to use a certain brand/design.

I'm sure Marc Jacobs fell into this category 2 years ago. From what I remember he changed from his Switch kite mid heat and borrowed a North Kite to finish the heat. I remember there was a lot of trash talk about how Switch not putting in the effort to capitalise on publicity because they should have shipped him off there with X spare kites and similar comments.

Can't remember if the problem was an equipment malfunction or whether it was just the wind lulling and he didn't have a bigger kite to change up to.
Wind picked up so he needed his 8m, but it was laying on the beach and because of upcoming tide it got washed against some rocks or something, trashing the kite.

Peert
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:33 pm

pooder wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:22 am
North will come out with 2020 lineup in mid 2019

Have you ever thought why they actually introduce products half a year or less before the actual year? Many countries and big markets have their kiteseasons over new years. New products have to match with their seaons too, so they could prep for season and sell newest gear over the season. Otherwise these markets will be always behind.
Designed in 2018
Produced in 2019
Sold in 2019 as 2020

Time traveling capabilities of kite manufacturers.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:26 pm

Peert wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:33 pm
Designed in 2018
Produced in 2019
Sold in 2019 as 2020
I think also designed in 2019...if released in August, they could test until February/March. So about 6 months for production.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Tawas, MI; OBX; SPI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Slingshot Turbine 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Moses 71cm/42” masts 590/633 wings, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 42", MBS Comp 95x

For sale: MHL Lift 2013, Slingshot Coupe 6'

Postby grigorib » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:45 pm

Peert wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:33 pm
pooder wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:22 am
North will come out with 2020 lineup in mid 2019

Have you ever thought why they actually introduce products half a year or less before the actual year? Many countries and big markets have their kiteseasons over new years. New products have to match with their seaons too, so they could prep for season and sell newest gear over the season. Otherwise these markets will be always behind.
Designed in 2018
Produced in 2019
Sold in 2019 as 2020

Time traveling capabilities of kite manufacturers.
Like for everything else, there's timeline. Some of future champions are learning to walk and to use potty today.

With stalling development of LEIs I think it'll be more practical to release a model V1/V2/V3/etc and then produce it in "colors of 2019". Yearly cycle is a bit misleading in means of "development cycle"

lisaped
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby lisaped » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:03 pm

Toby wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:06 pm
Cabrinha is one of the top brands worldwide.
With just crap they wouldn't be in this position.
All top brands are crap. Cabrinha is the 1st. Then comes Slingshot.
But sometimes may be Slingshot is the 1st, things differ..,

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:14 pm

So back to the North......new North...thing. Anybody have any idea what their gimick is going to be? Price high or low? Specific geographic market?

Odd that North will now be the newest kitecompany in the game.

Gonzolinho
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2050
Gear: too much

Postby Gonzolinho » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:10 am

lisaped wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:03 pm
All top brands are crap. Cabrinha is the 1st. Then comes Slingshot.
But sometimes may be Slingshot is the 1st, things differ..,
W O W !
Must be a hell of a weed you´re smokin´

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:17 am

Matteo V wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:14 pm
So back to the North......new North...thing. Anybody have any idea what their gimick is going to be? Price high or low? Specific geographic market?

Odd that North will now be the newest kitecompany in the game.
Gonna be interesting.

The former North distribution is still in place, so they all will go with Duotone.

Big question is if they all will sell new North as well...

I think there are many former Best distributors and shops who could go for North now. They have the logistics.

But I think it all depends on how good the new products will be...but I don’t think they will be bad with the team they have.

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:32 pm

Toby wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:17 am
.....I think there are many former Best distributors and shops who could go for North now. They have the logistics.

But I think it all depends on how good the new products will be...but I don’t think they will be bad with the team they have.
I am thinking they will have to distinguish the new North from the old North somehow. Maybe add a bit of a name to the end or beginning like - "New North Kites"? Maybe less people are paying attention to this that I think, but everyone I know knows Duotone is the North kites design lineage.

So my question is still, 'What kind of gimmick would allow a new company with new designs to open under an old company's name with no access to those old designs/lineage'? My guess is that they will have to play to the "fashion/looks" side of the equation with less emphasis on "innovation" (no crazy click bar) and "design refinement". Given that innovation for a new company is extremely dangerous should that innovation prove defective, and there will be no room for design refinement upon startup, there will likely be something else. Maybe Bill Hansen will be their first designer?

And regardless, Duotone taking the kite designs with them (and everyone knowing that), pretty much stripped the value out of the North name. Good play on Duotone! But not for the chosen name though. Though maybe all the bad publicity from picking that name is, as they say, good publicity.
Last edited by Matteo V on Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”