sebastienbolhuis
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None

Barsize for short arms ?

Postby sebastienbolhuis » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:47 am

Hi guys,

My GF has the following issue. She has quite short arms and whenever she lets go of her bar or fully depowers she can't/it is hard to reach her bar anymore. So the issue is that the length between the chicken loop and inner lines is too long.

Any tips or advice when looking to buy a new bar? Shorter bar or different line size?

Secondly, for myself, I kite with a 10-12-14m kites and I'm hesitating for a bar that will suite all kites well. Will a 59-65 cm bar be too large? Better go for a 49-56 cm range?

Thanks a lot.
Sebastien
Last edited by sebastienbolhuis on Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bossstyle
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 10
Local Beach: Portland
Style: Freeride
Gear: F-one bandit 11m 2018
F-one bandit 9m 2018
F-one Mitu pro surf board
Flyradical 5 twin tip

Re: Barsize for short arms ?

Postby Bossstyle » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:27 am

You can move the throw on the new bars from north, fone and others. Bring the cleat down.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:58 pm

Bossstyle wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:27 am
You can move the throw on the new bars from north, fone and others. Bring the cleat down.

True :thumb:

Also, barsize got nothing to do with this "problem" whatsoever.

Get a bar where you can move the cleat, and preferably one with a small CL of course - problem solved.

Doesnt matter if you use a small or long bar, no difference regarding how easy it will be to reach the bar :D

What matters though, is the harness, with a seat harness you can reach far longer, than with a waist harness where your "reach" is limited and you have to limit the throw.

8) Peter

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:11 pm

+1 about seat harness

Im 202 cm tall, use super long throw bar and my wife can use my setup with seat harness. Its like + 10 cm of reach.

Peert
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:30 pm

The ultimate short arm setup:
1. Seat harness
2a. No hook but slider rope and North/Slingshot QR
2b. Boardriding Maui Cloud CCS setup.
3. Kite with relatively short sheeting range.. i.o.w all power off at limited bar throw distance.

wait a second .. further alternatives to 2...
2c. Backline depower bar (Ocean Rodeo, BWS or North/Duotone )with stopper ball.
2d. Custom bar setup by Infexion (Evan) (handig want net als jij ook in Nederland)

Good luck deciding.
Attachments
Screenshot_20180913-162108.jpg

Jwoo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Mexico
Style: strapless freeride, surf
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Firewire

Postby Jwoo » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:42 pm

My wife has short arms and can't reach the trim strap on most bars. The Cabrinha 1X with trimlite bar's trim cleat/strap is 2"-3" closer to the rider than most other bars. That, combined with using a seat harness, makes it so she can adjust the trim strap while riding, and the bar is not out of her reach if she lets go of it. Her reach is 2 ½" shorter than mine, so I also added 2" pigtails to the steering lines which makes up for her shorter reach and helps her to trim the kite better.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17, Flite 12, Prodigy 9.5, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing, Mako 150
Brand Affiliation: XL Kites

Postby SENDIT! » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:57 pm

*Disclaimer-I sell both of these

I have had great success fitting smaller riders with both the Ocean Rodeo Shift bar and the Cabrinha Overdrive w/Recoil. With OR's Shift Bar, you can move that sliding stopper wherever you want. Makes it really easy to keep the bar within their reach. And it's adjustable, so if they happen to shift between waist and seat (like I do), you can even adjust it to fit that. It's also much easier for them to just push the knob with their wrist and depower the kite, all while keeping both hands on the bar. Their chicken loop is now a little smaller than it's been in the past, so that helps, too.

The Cabrinha Recoil system has those spring-loaded depower/repower toggles that keep them a little more in reach. That seems to work a lot better than something else, say, the Trimlite (one of my personal favorites). Good luck getting her comfortable. The better she likes it, the more you'll get to kite yourself! ;)

SENDIT!

Return to “Kitesurfing”