Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Are You Progressing as a Kiter? 8 Water Checks. How did you fare?

forum for kitesurfers

Okkiteboarder
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: I kite in Oklahoma at Lake Keystone and Eufaula Lake
Favorite Beaches: My favorite beaches are: Maui, Cozumel, and home in Oklahoma
Style: Foil and twintip
Gear: Epic kites, Slingshot, Nobile, and Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None

Are You Progressing as a Kiter? 8 Water Checks. How did you fare?

Postby Okkiteboarder » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:09 pm

a video from the OK Kiteboarder to address 8 items to check that you are progressing as a kiteboarder.
phpBB [video]

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Re: Are You Progressing as a Kiter? 8 Water Checks. How did you fare?

Postby tautologies » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:20 pm

So are you going to interact on the forum, or are you just here to post your videos?

Also maybe note down that this is a video for people who are absolute beginners.

nothing2seehere
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: Kitesurfing and windsurfing

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:24 pm

Not sure I agree with point 7 (letting go with one hand). IMHO this is normally a short term 'cheat' used to cover up poor technique rather than something to encourage people to do.

Letting go of the bar will in most cases cause the kite to gradually rise to the zenith, which kills the drive of the kite. Watch learner hydrofoilers to see the a common example of this. They let go with the front hand and overbalance backwards a bit. This small tug causes the kite to rise, lose drive and then they lose speed and drop down off the foil.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:31 pm

tautologies wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:20 pm
So are you going to interact on the forum, or are you just here to post your videos?

Also maybe note down that this is a video for people who are absolute beginners.
Not just this forum either :roll:

...still waiting for his buddy to quote the video and post "Nice video :thumb:" underneath, though.

Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic

Postby Beardytello » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:18 pm

Nice video :thumb:

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Elf Joker-7 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:43 pm

Beardytello wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:18 pm
Nice video :thumb:
Niece vedio :thumb:

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle and Airstyle
Gear: Liquid Force NRG, FS Speed 4 Lotus, Pansh Aurora II,
RRD Poison, Axis Ltd, RRD BS45, SS Glide, SS Ankle Biter

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:22 pm

This is a tough crowd! :-?

I give the OK KB extra points for producing these videos in Oklahoma. I mean, how many kiteboarders can there be in Oklahoma any way???

I also think it's a "Nice Video". :thumb:

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:25 am

tautologies wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:20 pm

Tauty,

I would not have taken the time to watch the vid until you posted your comment. So....kind of thanks for that.

It is a good vid for beginners and advanced kiters, but not intermediates. Intermediates will likely have just recently mastered these techniques, so they may feel that this vid is "just for beginners".

And yes, it is obviously a good vid for beginners. Its just a good explanation of what to look for in their mistakes and successes. Though I do not agree with every piece of advice in the vid.

Advanced kiters will like this vid for the basic explanation of things that we never think about anymore. I can remember back in the day when I was just learning to get upwind on the water. But it is so long ago that I have hard time explaining it to those on the beach asking me about that skill development. Watching this kind of thing helps me to more effectively communicate with beginners on the beach.

My guess is that the OP is a pretty good teacher and has the desire and initiative to make vids (frikin time vampire and not for me). So thanks to the OKkiter for posting this. If we get some snow up in Kansas (1 state north of him) this year, I hope we can meet up for some snowkiting.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby tautologies » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:45 am

Matteo V wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:25 am
Tauty,

I would not have taken the time to watch the vid until you posted your comment. So....kind of thanks for that.

It is a good vid for beginners and advanced kiters, but not intermediates. Intermediates will likely have just recently mastered these techniques, so they may feel that this vid is "just for beginners".

And yes, it is obviously a good vid for beginners. Its just a good explanation of what to look for in their mistakes and successes. Though I do not agree with every piece of advice in the vid.

Advanced kiters will like this vid for the basic explanation of things that we never think about anymore. I can remember back in the day when I was just learning to get upwind on the water. But it is so long ago that I have hard time explaining it to those on the beach asking me about that skill development. Watching this kind of thing helps me to more effectively communicate with beginners on the beach.

My guess is that the OP is a pretty good teacher and has the desire and initiative to make vids (frikin time vampire and not for me). So thanks to the OKkiter for posting this. If we get some snow up in Kansas (1 state north of him) this year, I hope we can meet up for some snowkiting.
haha nice, I guess OP should pay me for getting views on his video. Will you have the same attitude when he posts the same video again on the forum in a new thread? And no interaction at all?
Personally, I think it is a pointless video for advanced riders, but it's all good. I just felt the title could be more descriptive.

Okkiteboarder
Rare Poster
Local Beach: I kite in Oklahoma at Lake Keystone and Eufaula Lake
Favorite Beaches: My favorite beaches are: Maui, Cozumel, and home in Oklahoma
Style: Foil and twintip
Gear: Epic kites, Slingshot, Nobile, and Cabrinha

Postby Okkiteboarder » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:00 am

Sorry, I don't have my alerts on to see comments under my post I guess? I am appreciative of the supportive comments and for the criticism. I am an average kiteboarder of about 11 years and I'm just an average foil kiter. My background is as a physiotherapist and the study of human movement. I enjoy attempting to use my creative side to make kiteboarding videos and to address some areas in kiteboarding which I think many "experts" may take for granted, or in areas that they sometimes struggle to connect with their students. I know the product that I am putting out is not perfect, but I do enjoy mixing a sport that I absolutely love with my enjoyment of video, photography, etc. Matteo V, thanks for the invite up north. Please let me know if conditions are good this winter for some snow kiting, I would love to do that! Whether positive or negative, thanks for the input. It is appreciated.

Return to “Kitesurfing”