kitegrl91
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: North Rebels
Core xr5
Brand Affiliation: None

Hatteras in Dec/January

Postby kitegrl91 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:06 pm

Hey everyone, if anyone has been to Hatteras in end of December and January specifically can you give me the down lo on the weather, wind and water conditions? I did do some research on it but it's nice to get a personal perspective. I live in Ontario and am heading down over New Years, through the first week of January and just want a basic understanding of what to expect. I've been to OBX a few times, I'm familiar with the area and am staying in Avon. Anyone else down there that time of the year haha? I know it'll be cold but, no matter the conditions, right? lol.

Hugh2
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 7 and 9, Cabrinha Vector 12, Best Bularoo 16
Long Ocean 134 and 136, Cyclone 140, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Slingshot Hoverglide foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Hatteras in Dec/January

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:45 am

It's been a long time since I went to OBX at that time of year. 30 years ago I went most years for windsurfing and have photos of us freezing in drysuits with ice on the grass along the sound. You could get lucky and get some relatively warm southerlies though. If you like ocean riding, it would surely be warmer than the sound, try Hatteras Landing to Frisco bathhouse on a SW wind. Best yet, if you foil reliably, stay out of the water most of the time, down at Canadian Hole!

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Wave * Foil
Gear: Airush Wave 7/9/12 * Firewire Vader
LF Galaxy * Levitaz Cruizer/Element/Aspect
Brand Affiliation: OBXKitesurf.com

Re: Hatteras in Dec/January

Postby Tony » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:55 pm

I've been down there that time of year and it can vary a lot. If you get some warm days you can ride. Some years I've ridden around Christmas in the ocean in a steamer and been comfy. Last year the week between Christmas and New Year's was too cold for me to ride, maybe I've gotten softer but if my steamer is not enough or I need gloves it's too cold for me. I'll be down there this year at that time and I hope we get some warm weather. It's mostly locals that time of year. Being in Avon, you'll be close to Food Lion and have a few restaurant options. Have fun. Dec/Jan is a cool time to be there.
Tony

Return to “Kitesurfing”