Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Great Kills kite surfer found dead along New Jersey coastline

forum for kitesurfers


User avatar
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2859
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:35 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kp, MBay, Rond
Favorite Beaches: Kp, MBay, Rond, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Gen4 Prodigy 5m and 7m
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Mako Classic 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Galaxy board
Engine Harness and sliding
Location: Southwestern Ontario

Great Kills kite surfer found dead along New Jersey coastline

Postby Laughingman » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:31 pm


User avatar
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 37559
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 1:00 am
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.
Location: World (KF Admin)
Contact:

Re: Great Kills kite surfer found dead along New Jersey coastline

Postby Toby » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:00 pm

Sad to hear this, my condolences.

Sounds he kited alone. Or was anyone else around?
If not, quick help is impossible.

Heart attack or getting unconscious can happen quickly.

RIP

User avatar
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2859
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:35 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kp, MBay, Rond
Favorite Beaches: Kp, MBay, Rond, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Gen4 Prodigy 5m and 7m
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Mako Classic 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Galaxy board
Engine Harness and sliding
Location: Southwestern Ontario

Re: Great Kills kite surfer found dead along New Jersey coastline

Postby Laughingman » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:44 pm

Toby wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:00 pm
Sad to hear this, my condolences.

Sounds he kited alone. Or was anyone else around?
If not, quick help is impossible.

Heart attack or getting unconscious can happen quickly.

RIP
There are other reports, apparently there were other kiters on shore and they were watching him when he disappeared in the waves. Sounds like he may have drowned

collider
Rare Poster
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:05 pm
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Plumb
Gear: Arcs/Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Great Kills kite surfer found dead along New Jersey coastline

Postby collider » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:48 pm

He was not a kitesurfer, they got the story completely wrong. He was a windsurfer (very experienced from what I understand).

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 4753761912

Hugh2
Frequent Poster
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:38 am
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 7 and 9, Cabrinha Vector 12, Best Bularoo 16
Long Ocean 134 and 136, Cyclone 140, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Slingshot Hoverglide foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Great Kills kite surfer found dead along New Jersey coastline

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:28 pm

collider wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:48 pm
He was not a kitesurfer, they got the story completely wrong. He was a windsurfer (very experienced from what I understand).

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 4753761912
Amazing a report could get it so wrong, but nothing new about that, I guess. The bottom picture shows him doing a duck gybe, so he was a very good windsurfer (in 25 years of windsurfing I never got to that stage). This makes his death even more strange, and perhaps something medical rather than drowning.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1605
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:18 pm
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Prodigy, 9.5m Prodigy, 12m Flite, 17m Flite. Crazyfly Raptor Pro Neon, King Gee,
Mako Duke.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Great Kills kite surfer found dead along New Jersey coastline

Postby matth » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:52 pm

collider wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:48 pm
He was not a kitesurfer, they got the story completely wrong. He was a windsurfer (very experienced from what I understand).

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 4753761912

Correct..Phil who frequents this forum brother was there. It was definitely a WS.....


We had a very close call here last weekend . It was blowing 40 gusting to 60, people should not have been kiting, but of course the kooks went out. One guy had a bad launch and his kite looped several times bouncing him off the beach, knocking him out and by a miracle he stop a few feet short of a nasty rock wall that would have killed or seriously mangled him... He was taken to the hospital , I have not heard how serious he was hurt.
Choose your days wisely even if you think you're an expert.

User avatar
deniska
Frequent Poster
Posts: 417
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:40 pm
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: Ozone, Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Great Kills kite surfer found dead along New Jersey coastline

Postby deniska » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:50 am

matth wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:52 pm
It was blowing 40 gusting to 60, people should not have been kiting, but of course the kooks went out. One guy had a bad launch and his kite looped several times bouncing him off the beach, knocking him out and by a miracle he stop a few feet short of a nasty rock wall that would have killed or seriously mangled him... He was taken to the hospital , I have not heard how serious he was hurt.
Choose your days wisely even if you think you're an expert.
I disagree, that Saturday was a pretty epic day in NY/NJ and lots of people left with a smile.
here is a video from that day from Breezy point, which is 5mi away from the spot where Robert died.
I think there were around 30 people on the water, which is unusual for this time of the year in NY.
Robert was probably the best windsurfer in the area. From what I heard he was considering getting kiting lessons from one of our guys (for low wind days) but never quite got to that point.
Circumstances are still unclear, but to me it seems like a medical issue and not his skill or bad luck.. RIP...
phpBB [video]

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1605
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:18 pm
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Prodigy, 9.5m Prodigy, 12m Flite, 17m Flite. Crazyfly Raptor Pro Neon, King Gee,
Mako Duke.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Great Kills kite surfer found dead along New Jersey coastline

Postby matth » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:17 am

deniska wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:50 am
matth wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:52 pm
It was blowing 40 gusting to 60, people should not have been kiting, but of course the kooks went out. One guy had a bad launch and his kite looped several times bouncing him off the beach, knocking him out and by a miracle he stop a few feet short of a nasty rock wall that would have killed or seriously mangled him... He was taken to the hospital , I have not heard how serious he was hurt.
Choose your days wisely even if you think you're an expert.
I disagree, that Saturday was a pretty epic day in NY/NJ and lots of people left with a smile.
here is a video from that day from Breezy point, which is 5mi away from the spot where Robert died.
I think there were around 30 people on the water, which is unusual for this time of the year in NY.
Robert was probably the best windsurfer in the area. From what I heard he was considering getting kiting lessons from one of our guys (for low wind days) but never quite got to that point.
Circumstances are still unclear, but to me it seems like a medical issue and not his skill or bad luck.. RIP...
phpBB [video]

That's nice but I'm talking three hundred miles North of NY/NJ. Nasty day here, very good kiters were staying off the water.

Leon van Bergen
Medium Poster
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:25 am
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee
Style: Freeride
Gear: 8m Rebel, 11m Rebel, 17m Roca, Lieuwe Shotgun and Mystic Majestic X.
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Netherlands

Re: Great Kills kite surfer found dead along New Jersey coastline

Postby Leon van Bergen » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:25 pm

Huh, 5mi or 300 Miles what is it?

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 765
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:21 am
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish torch 12m,9m,epic renegade 6m,9m,screamer 12m. ug styx, skillet
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Great Kills kite surfer found dead along New Jersey coastline

Postby pj sofine » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:01 pm

Leon van Bergen wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:25 pm
Huh, 5mi or 300 Miles what is it?
2 kiters ,2 differant location,boston mass area and nj. I'm in the middle and we were out on 5.5 's ,6's and 7's.It was one of the windiest days I've experienced in 18 years on a kite. I'm an anti-depower/trim guy but had mine pulled in 8"s . 220 lbs on a 7 maxed out.Sad story.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], GregK, iriejohn, ouno, Turbaani and 10 guests