Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

flysurfer soul: I need to know 3 things.

Forum for kitesurfers
hudstur
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Delray Beach, Florida
Boca Raton, FL
Boynton Beach, FL
Lighthouse Point, FL
Favorite Beaches: Delray Beach, FL
Hood River, OR
Floras Lake, OR
Cape Hatteras, NC
Napeague, NY
Bahamas
Kauai, Hawaii
Canada, PEI & Georgian Bay
Traverse City, MI
La Ventana, Mexico
Cabarete, DR
Florida Keys
Style: Directional Waves, Freeride, Foilboard
Gear: OCEAN RODEO Duke 5’4”, OR Flites, FOne kites, SS Mixer 5’10”, Litewavedesigns Kick S.
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: flysurfer soul: I need to know 3 things.

Postby hudstur » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:29 pm

Ozone Chrono V3 15m ULTRALIGHT, new, for $2,499 shipped. Not good for my launch areas.

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:46 pm

downunder wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:07 pm
1) yes, but it is 2x thicker than the Sonic or Chrono I think, huge amount of air in it. Upwind not the same.
2) 12m quite slow to loop it, was quite light
3) sonic has a pop too ;) Soul bar pressure is higher.

Good kite. But man, new Edge on TT, priceless...

D.
Have you tried the 10m? 10m soul on a twin tip is priceless! The 12m is great but it is a little slow as with any 12m size kite but the 10m is where it starts to happen on a tt is you ask me.

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ice101 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:04 am

fernmanus wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:00 pm
I like to fly foil kites in gusty conditions. I don’t like pumping and I like the boosting ability of a foil. I have Core XR5 in 7 & 10m, but the 10m Soul has taken their place. The Soul has so much range and it is just awesome to ride in powered up conditions. You just rocket into the sky, but still float down nice and soft.

I can’t wait to try it on the snow. :thumb:
You say it’s replaced your 10 and 7 xr’s what have you been out in on the 10m so far? Have the 10m bit haven’t even had it out in it's Sweet spot yet due to light winds while off work but I have been having a blast on it anyway. Best kite I have owned and used and will be putting my 11m bandit up for sale soon as can’t see me using it again now I have the 10m soul. Blows it away. ;-) am toying with the idea of getting an 8m as well but if the 10m will cover the range of a 7m Lei I am not sure if there is any point? I used to use the 11m like 85 percent of the time on my local English beaches and the rest a 9m Lei. Would there be any point in me buying the 8 as well do you think?

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:39 am

I have a 9xr5, I used to have the 7m

I sold the 7m because at 95-100kg I never had enough wind to be powered on it and if there was it wasn’t safe to go out.

I also have 12 and 10m souls

I won’t be putting up my 10 in what was the 7m range

They are incredible kites but not that much.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:30 am

I tested a 12 and liked it but… I frankly don't know if I really want one. I own a Speed 21 and it's really the ultimate light wind machine, no other kite will keep you riding in such ridiculous wind on a tt. But a 12 or a 10? When it's time to use a Soul 12 (speaking about TT, don't know with a foilboard) I can ride also with a standard 12 lei. Why do I have to spend twice and fight with tacos, millions of lines, relaunch etc.? It's a price I can pay to get the top performance of e.g. a Sonic. but I'm not so interested in a foil kite that is similar to a pump in behavior and performances...

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ice101 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:29 am

I have always found a 12m lei too slow and over powers too quick An 11m Lei has always been faster and you lose absolutely no power from a 12m due to the extra speed and found they have a much bigger or better range especially for Uk use And the average wind conditions we always get over here. Since buying the 10m soul my 11m Lei has been made redundant. The 10m soul is only a slightly slower than the 11m lei, still has the power of a 17m Lei zephyer or similar and I haven’t even managed to try the top end out yet. the real advantage I am finding is when people are on their 12m Lei in the lower end of their capabilities I am powering past them no problem. They are jumping 3-4 feet doing little spins after big run ups yet on the 10m soul you can jump from the start as soon as moving without any run up or speed 3-4 meters in comparison with awesome spins should you wish. I had a guy on a 16m rebel approach me after our last session and say how nice the soul looked in the air and I am a fairly big guy at 87kgs and he was a lot lighter he was amazed how fast I was going and how high I was able to jump in comparison to the rest that were out. I think the 12m is still quite slow moving and more like the 21 you mention but I am finding the ability to move the smaller 10m faster much better it creates amazing apparent wind it may take an extra swing but once you get going it just powers you along superb and the actual wind speed doesn’t make much difference, it just pulls. It’s just a joy to ride. I liked the 12m but the 10m is more fun and more like my fast 11m bandit which to be fair are also very good at generating apparent wind but nothing like that 10 soul! I can only describe the 10m as a hooligan kite. I feel like a hooligan when riding it. :-) You can throw it about, blow people away and jump way higher in any lower conditions. It just makes you smile. :-) Trouble is having had and sold the 15 then 12 and now owning the 10m and how awesome it is I can’t stop thinking what the 8m would be like? I am so so tempted to buy one just to see but unlike the 15 and 12 I definitely would not sell the 10m to find out it would have to be an addition. Hmmm

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:21 pm

IMHO the FS Speed 5 21m is not that slow turning of a kite in light to moderate winds (11-15knots). I find it just as fast as my Xbow 16m kite. My 12m Soul is way, way faster turning than the 21m Speed 5 in similar speed winds (11 - 15 knots). The trim is the key. It takes me a few jumps to get the timing right for every kite I fly. Although I love the floaty jumps on the 21m, I prefer the Soul in winds greater than 15 knots. The 21m has tremendous power above 15 knots (have flown it up to 18 knots). Btw, I'm 92kgs.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:27 pm

@Jake: I'm 75 kgs. and I really can't imagine me riding the 21 in more than 15 knots, way too much for me. Maybe a more technical and experienced kiter can handle it, not me.
@Ice101: never tested the 10 but at this point I will for sure the first time I have the chance. As I told before, it's not that I didn't like the 12, I simply found it too complicated and expensive in a wind range where I can enjoy a standard lei about same size. I agree about the hangtime, that's really different, jumps are really floaty and last forever.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:46 pm

edt, you are going to use it for foiling I assume, and maybe also tt?

But important to know if for foiling, as if, then the advice about a 21 m2 speed is useless.

If ONLY for tt, it might make sense for some yes, for many no, not even on a tt.

As I know you are (also) foiling, the questions must be because you want to foil really powered and jump, or use in on tt's also, for jumping.

Important for those answering this topic, but okay, you have already stated you are talking about Flysurfer Soul and maybe even max a 12 m2 so makes no sense to answer on other kites :rollgrin:

Most have good intentions answering, but the OP was very specific about the kite, that was my point - except for the hydrofoil or not part edt, eventhough it does not matter regarding the powered question, and as you asked about a 12 m2, well, you dont have to know about foiling or not :D

8) Peter

Texaskiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Texas City
Galveston
Favorite Beaches: North Shore, Oahu, Hawaii
Playa del Carmen
Style: Freeride, surf, hydrofoil, airstyle
Gear: Core, Ozone, Moses,

Postby Texaskiter » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:51 am

I have the FS Soul 12M nd 10M. Love them both. Mostly use them for strapped big air style foil boarding. The 10M is the money kite. Much faster and much more fun to ride. However, the 12 is still very fun in light winds (when everyone else is on the beach). I enjoy the 10M starting around 12mph and up to 22mph on foil. I like the 12M from 8mph to about 17. Then just too much pull at speed. I ride 17m lines. I find that the kite feels more reactive for me at this length. I weigh 210 so not a small guy. Again, most of my usage is on foil. They are great kites and very easy to ride. Hope this helps.

Return to “Kitesurfing”