Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Proof world sailing is trying to take kiteboarding for its own financial gain.

Forum for kitesurfers
longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Proof world sailing is trying to take kiteboarding for its own financial gain.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:08 am

This proves my point that World Sailing tries to steal our sport of kiteboarding for their own financial benefits ( medals = funding, world sailing gets $40 million a year and distributes it ) .

It is a sad world where world sailing voters are pressured into voting for kiteboarding when they didnt even want a part of it.

it is not unique to kiteboarding that olympic $ gives someone the idea of how to cash in by changing a sports history sup vs canoe , rollerskating vs skateboarding. They are currently in the court system.

"Concerns had been raised within the sailing community about the inclusion of a kiteboarding but Abercrombie said its inclusion was a strategic decision made by World Sailing, with the sport in danger of losing a medal class. Over the past cycle, sailing saw its competitive quota lowered from 380 athletes to 350, and the International Olympic Committee had signalled the sport would lose more if they did not change.

"It's a bit of a compromise. I don't personally feel it's best for the sport but in saying that, it is what it is. It's a process driven by World Sailing and as far as Yachting New Zealand is concerned, we're just going to have to make the most of it."

I say by kiteboarders for kiteboarders! Not by Sailors for their own gain!

Dont support IKA, WKC, GKA. They are all pawns to World $ailing. #worldsailingkitekooks
IMG_20181211_110434.png

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Proof world sailing is trying to take kiteboarding for its own financial gain.

Postby BWD » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:30 am

Cant ever have really been in doubt though...

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Proof world sailing is trying to take kiteboarding for its own financial gain.

Postby bigtone667 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:48 am

How do you think this will impact the local kiter at their local wave spot or lake or bay? (Purely recreational kiter, which probably represents 95% of us)

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby grigorib » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:22 am

Not sure how world sailing has any impact on how and where and what I ride.

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:33 pm

Long white cloud

You ignore the bit where it states that the IOC stated that they would loose athlete spaces below the already reduced 350 if they did not change?

Its the IOC driving not WS

Faced with the choice of change or see numbers reduced what choice do WS have?

I know this doesnt fit your narrative but it’s the truth

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:47 am

that is pretty clear too, what a 5hit situation

Narrative wise its pretty clear. Kiteboarding should remain autonomous. That means it should remain self governing of its own sport from the very top down as has been since the start. ( i am 20 years in)

More and more clueless kooks getting involved$. is bad for kiteboarding, not least the safety aspect of which they don't have the first clue or experience about.

If you represent kiteboarding as sailing, you take on the liability associated with that.. that you have the associated expertise to manage riders safety.

It's a huge liability on World Sailing to manage the safety of another sport that involves flying wings/ kites. One where over 50% of severe injuries and deaths occur on land.

The fact that they would have to pay to outsource this says it all.. that kiteboarding is not sailing.

I watched the World Sailing meetings on youtube. They know NOTHING of what they are getting involved in$. They better be damn sure they keep young kiters safe at events... not that they have the first clue.

By kiteboarders for kiteboarders! #worldsailingkitekooks

PinkNorthPride
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Calshot
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Mauritius
Silver Sands Barbados
Nyali Kenya
Dougs the Gorge
Style: Lawn Mowing
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: North, Maybe Core next...

Postby PinkNorthPride » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:42 am

World Sailing can't even manage their own, never mind including us, they recently had a voting scandal at one of their meetings, they are right up there with Fifa as corruption goes.

The sticker should read Kitesurfing is not a discipline of Sailing

Check this out.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:39 pm

no way.. the ceo of world sailing doesnt even sail! lol

that is messed up.. corruption!?

kiteboarders need to know not to support the wkl, gka, ika comps etc all of which suddenly hail world $ailing. They are world sailings sub contractors, cos world sailing dont have the first clue about another sport. Eurocentric imo also.

#worldsailingkitekooks #kiteboardingisnotadisciplineofsailing

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:49 pm

Wait a second: so you say that WS is responsible for the safety of the riders and have no clue?

As far as I know there was no bad accident so far at racing events.

So you want the sport to be independent?

What about KOTA...it is independent...

Now you tell me if this is a safe event.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:36 am

They havnt got the first idea. You can watch their meetings on youtube and see for yourself. It's a very worrying situation. They rely on paid subcontractors for kiteboarding information, however, have the final decision making about the safety welfare of another sport.

Pretty sure a rider was knocked out during racing and a fellow competitor saved them from drowning. oh and that poor young girl lost a finger after a tangle with another competitor. They also put completely inexperienced riders in youth olympic qualifiers as they did not have enough competitors, they were actively advertising for competitors stating you didnt even have to have race experience at all, or even much kiteboarding experience whatsoever. You remember Dimitri voicing concerns about this. Not a safe situation.

Accidents do happen, kiting is dangerous by nature; however, highly experienced kiteboarders need to have the final say on their safety and that means not having a different sport making top level decisions.

As for King of the Air, I like many others probably, were not impressed with the safety response to the 2 near drownings. The risk was demonstrated as higher in this discipline last year, IMO it is important that these young riders are educated about self responsibility because I believe companies like Red Bull sell a distorted image of professional action sport careers that is not in line with reality and can distort good decision making of young riders. I would have been demanding highly experienced kiteboarding jetski surf rescue crew trained specifically for situations such as we saw. Similar to the crew that support the World Surf League events.

We dont want to see someone drown unecessarily at these events in front of our own eyes when we know a better rescue attempt could gave been made.. (Red Bull $6 Billion industry a year.)

At the last Winter Olympics the women were waiting to compete in stopestyle, the winds were considered dangerous by the riders. The president of the ski federation ( not a snowboarder) said to the riders " if you dont go now, I am cancelling the event. So after 7 years training for some of them they were given 2 minutes to decide. They went, there were many bad injuries/ slam due to the wind.. it was a clusterf4ck. I don't believe this would have happened if snowboarding looked after and planned the event itself. Many of the snowboarders hate the ski federation but career wise are forced into situations they do not want to be in. You can learn from history.

Return to “Kitesurfing”