Forum for kitesurfers
hcohen2018
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Nugget or Pro? (North)

Postby hcohen2018 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:38 am

Hi,

I'm an intermediate rider at waves, riding what is possible here from small to 2m storm waves. Currently riding with a skim style surfboard, so zero volume and not allot of surf like carving abilities.

I'm a big guy - 95kg 1.83( ~6ft) and looking for a dedicated surfboard. Since I'm on the budget I got two options here that suits me as a second hand

North nugget 2016 5'2
North pro 2014 6'2

These are two very different boards, and after reading allot online I'm still confused to which one should I get
Usually riding with allot of power and my main goal is to have fun and progress, would love to hear some feedback.

Thank you

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Re: Nugget or Pro? (North)

Postby kiterocky » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:44 pm

If u dont know....than better the nugget

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Altona
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: Neo
Has thanked: 0

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:52 pm

the answer to your question you will find on your sentence "...2 meter ...." The nugget is for small waves. It is a very wide surfboard. When you hit the face of the wave after the bottom turn on a 2 meter swell (wave face?) the board would not respond like the north pro. If you going to spend 80% or more on small surf then the nugget

cheers

hcohen2018
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Foil

Postby hcohen2018 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:21 pm

Thanks. That's my problem, mainly its a 1m cross shore wind waves - a very musshy conditions. Couple times a year we have a nice storm and a 2+m swells are hitting the shore.

I have a compromise in the form of Brunotti Boomer 5'8 2017 also in that price range.

So my main waveriding will be in small waves but I still want to feel good on some stormy days. Maybe I just need a bigger home and a better job :):)

vela99
Frequent Poster
Weight: 74
Style: Wave Kitesurfing
Gear: North Neo 6, 8 & 11, Appletree Applepeeler 5 7" and Gong Lethal 5 6"

Postby vela99 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:37 pm

I used to have a Nugget and switched to Slingshot Celeritas after several months of parallel use.

The Celeritas gets on a plane fairly early (noticeably better than the WAM) and there is not a big difference in comparison to the Nugget in marginal conditions but it turns much better and is still good fun in decent waves.

I am proposing an intermediate step to you as the Pro is far away from the Nu8gget in terms of performance.

Return to “Kitesurfing”