Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ozone backcountry connect harness

Forum for snow- and landkiters
gl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget
Brand Affiliation: None

Ozone backcountry connect harness

Postby gl » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:16 am

I currently have the original backcountry harness by ozone. I was hoping someone who has used the old one and the newer version could tell me what the differences are. In particular I'm wondering whether the waist harness portion is significantly more supportive. I use the harness both on land and on the water. I tried waist harnesses and seat harnesses recently but all of them caused me back and stomach problems. I think it is just too many years of harness usage and it is catching up with me. The ozone harness is the only one that doesn't seem to hurt me. When I'm powered up it would be nice if it had a little more support in the back area, but it's not totally necessary it would just be a nice to have.

Noahpz
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Big mtn snowkiting w/ lots of freestyle
Gear: Ozone Hyperlink V3 - 7,9,11,13. Ozone Chrono EXP 15m.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone
Has thanked: 0

Re: Ozone backcountry connect harness

Postby Noahpz » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:17 pm

I have used the first version and the latest version of the Ozone harness. The newest version is more supportive in the back (increased internal support) and has a better (metal to metal) waist belt adjustment system. In addition, the newer version has a different cloth material that does not allow snow to infiltrate the waist band and leg loops where these contact the body. Numerous small (but important) refinements. All in all, the new one is a better design.

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:27 pm

gl wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:16 am
I currently have the original backcountry harness by ozone. I was hoping someone who has used the old one and the newer version could tell me what the differences are. In particular I'm wondering whether the waist harness portion is significantly more supportive. I use the harness both on land and on the water. I tried waist harnesses and seat harnesses recently but all of them caused me back and stomach problems. I think it is just too many years of harness usage and it is catching up with me. The ozone harness is the only one that doesn't seem to hurt me. When I'm powered up it would be nice if it had a little more support in the back area, but it's not totally necessary it would just be a nice to have.
I used, and still have the Access harnesses. For snow, the Ozone harness has just got better and better throughout it's evolution. But there is no way I am dropping $250 on the current models. Still, they are nice and almost worth it - though there are much more affordable alternatives. Now I use a slightly modified climbing harness on the snow, and modified Dakine Vega's on the water. My climbing harness on the snow adjusts the opposite from the Ozone harnesses. I like the climbing harness leg loops loose (added some 1/2"padding to leg loops) and the waist band tight. The Ozone harness (older and newer) feels best to me with the leg loops tighter, but the waist not super tight (still snug though).

You make it sound like you have some specific issues that I am not sure you will be able to get any useful advice on. I think you just need to try things and see what works for you. A harness is not only mentally subjective, but also physically subjective.

gl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby gl » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:21 pm

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like the newer version has the updates that I am looking for.

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Style: New School
Gear: Fone
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs
Location: PBKiteboarding.com Sales-Repair-Lessons Ozone, Aboards, Flysurfer, OR, Canada USA Worlwide

Postby PBKiteboarding » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:42 am

I'd say the Newer version as well. Getting great feedback on it for Snowkiting and Landboarding guys!
Great lower cost harness. The Connect Pro is sweat with the spreader bar but cost more.

Paul
PBKiteboarding.com

Connect Pro Spreader Bar...

Return to “Snow / Land”