fun with 4m Rally and 30m lines:

bjw
Medium Poster
Gear: Best
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Kite too Fast

Postby bjw » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:45 am

I used to have a BWS 5m and it was radically different shaped to every other size. I think they need to be because when it's 40 knots, it's gusty and dangerous.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:04 am

tilmann wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:20 am
fun with 4m Rally and 30m lines:
You live in one windy ass spot Tilman.

tilmann
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: St.Peter-Ording
Style: highspeedcarving
Gear: highspeedcarving board + 7m Slingshot Machine
Brand Affiliation: www.highspeedcarving.com

Postby tilmann » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:29 am

that´s for sure :cool2:

These users thanked the author tilmann for the post:
POACHER (Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:45 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:54 am

Nice job Tilman

Don't think you need my post on this subject, cool looking board too!

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:04 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:20 am
PullStrings wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:26 pm
Matteo V wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:04 am

Ahhhhh, you are quicker than I thought. I shall initiate the private messaging to remove further unproductive discussion from continuation in this thread.

Again, thank you for your contribution to this forum - and if desired, you may have the last word in the public view.

Enjoy!
WOW !!! you two have been at it for over 2 years !!
:duel:

So Matty... can a Wingsurfer be too fast ??
Please explain in less than 600 words

Can a wingsurfer be too fast? Well I think that in context of the old thread you have brought up, and let me thank you for that pulley, I think not. The line of reasoning that leads to this is that the wind window does not exist in wingsurfing, nor does the wing rely on wingtip steering inputs like a kitesurfing kite does. All steering inputs are from “differential angle of attack inputs” (I just made up that term) at the fuselage (strut[s] of the wing). As the rider changes the yaw of the wing and sheets in or out, the upwind wing will lift more (or less) while the downwind wing will lift less (or more), relatively. This induces a turning moment upon the wing that primarily relies on center of fuselage inputs via the kiter’s hands. Given that wing warping with a dihedral wing is fundamentally different than wing warping with an anhedral wing, no comparison can really be made to a kite. Thus it would be completely reasonable to approach both a kite and a wingsurfer from a different perspective.

But if you really want to go down a rabbit hole, you could ask yourself “why would you want to, or how could you get any sort of benefit from, slowing the rate at which a wing would turn over to the other side. Some of the reasons that you may reasonably put forth could be: increasing smoothness (not pulling sideways before desired) of a jibe on a hydrofoil, increasing lift on a tack with any board, or simply calming down a wing in shifty or high winds.

In order to analyze these points, one would have to have a respectable degree of familiarity with wings themselves. And given the newness of this sport, I do not think there is enough of an experience base outside of the corporate developers of the inflatable iteration of this particular device. Some of this lack of familiarity could be due to the low participation rate with the original “KiteWing”, and the reduction of rigidity imparted on this new iteration of the “hand held wing” concept.

So where would we look to do an in-depth exploration of these issues? It would reside in personal experience and comparison of peers experience on this subject. Once achieved, an experience base could come into existence that would allow a subjective experience base to be refined to a level partial level of objectivity.

But do any of these points have application? I would say that in this stage in wingsurfing development, there is little anyone could definitively say about the pro’s or con’s to turning speed of a wing. But as with kiting, many new advancements often are made, that “change the game”. So could we one day see a ranking of turning speed with different wings? Possible, but I just do not see how. That said, I am not, nor do I intend to dabble in development of these devices. And without my heart being in wingsurfing, my opinion on the future technological development, does not matter.

Ha Haaaa! Made you read that steamin pile! Once again I have stolen a part of your life that you can never get back. And on top of it all, Herman – bless him, has just answered a two year old post that pulley brought up in jest! But give him a break as he is laid up with an injury and bored as heck. He should hook up with iriejohn, cappy core, and james and hit the “club”.

So total word count in this post, 599!
YOU KILLED IT !!! :thumb:
Good thing you type FAST and i read FAST

Return to “Kitesurfing”