Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

GKA Event Updates and New Discipline: Freestyle Hydrofoil

Postby Toby » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:10 am

GKA News:

GKA Event Updates and New Discipline: Freestyle Hydrofoils

gka 2.png

Dear Riders and Crew Members of the GKA Kite World Tour!

We all facing the most difficult time of our lifetime so far. Many of us a locked at home and not even allowed to put one toe into the ocean, even if it is right in front of the door. Many of us, but also sponsors, brands and event-organizers are confronted by financial uncertainties because nobody knows when the world will be back to “normal”. The GKA Kite World Tour 2020 started very promising and the financial situation of all events looked much better but last year.
Because of the COVID-19 crisis the positive picture changed for the first half of this year. Governments prohibited events, sponsors pulled out and some event-planning for the future is on hold.

However, like I always said: my policy is to build up a sustainable tour at which everybody can rely on. This policy didn’t change at all. That’s why I am in negotiations with organizers and sponsors for World Cup events in the next years, try to find new dates for events confirmed for the first 6 month of this year, and cut down costs where ever I can to keep the tour-management and the tour-media operating. I am very grateful to my team, that they are still committed to the GKA Kite World Tour and continue working with the same enthusiasm, even after I had to cut down their honorariums seriously.

After talking to all organizers I am very optimistic that we will still run many of the announced events this year, but for sure nobody can give any guarantee today. Please have a look at the up-dated event calendar with comments to each event below.

Right now neither the organizers nor the GKA can ensure that the events will be run under the budget agreed. It might be, that we all have to cut down our expectations. In other words: We might have to accept smaller prizemoney amounts on the riders side and smaller honorariums on the crew side. I keep all of you updated about any development. Should you nevertheless have any questions, please do not hesitate to send Tom or me a message.

I ensure everyone involved in the GKA Kite World Tour that I will do my outmost best to navigate our World Tour through this difficult times and I like to give all athletes an crew members confidence concerning the future of the GKA Kite World Tour.

Best regards and stay healthy,
Jörgen

Here the GKA Kite World Tour Calendar ALL DISCIPLINES:

Please note the following:
1) “Confirmation” and “TBC in %” are the statements by the Event-Organizer in case the governmental lock-downs because of COVID-19 has been ended in time (not less but 6 weeks before the first day of the event). Events “cancelled” are planned for 2021.
2) Next possible event: Freestyle World Cup Tarifa, 23.6. – 28.6.

GKA Kite World Tour Event Calendar 2020

gka 6.png
gka 3.png
gka 4.png
gka 5.png

Osprey1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: GKA Event Updates and New Discipline: Freestyle Hydrofoil

Postby Osprey1 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:26 am

Some good news! Freestyle hydrofoil big air is where it’s at!

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:08 pm

I don't really know how to feel about hydrofoil freestyle in competition.

Most of me is eager to see the accelerated progression, It's a single comp so I guess it all depends on the conditions that day, but just in general, where would this kind of comp end up?

Straps, strapless, big air, low level loops, all tech with too many spins or board twirls.

I mean competition kind of killed the style in wakestyle. Hydrofoiling doesn't really have a style yet. The big air is super impressive for its magnitude, but it's Oh so dangly. I personally want to see more development of the mid to low level strapless air work with nice stalls, looped kites, clean landings etc, As soon as its a comp tho, it becomes about how many more rotations you can fit in, instead of how dope a stalled out simple move can be.

IMHO wakestyle is best served in a freeride session. Put it in a box on a timer and you get less of the critical aesthetic and more and more tech. The foiling in my dreams is modelled off the best of free riding ideals. I kind of liked that the style of foiling I want to pursue is not seen in competition.

I guess we will see.

RidingRobi
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Baltic Sea
Style: Wakestyle, Wave, Foil
Gear: PLKB

Postby RidingRobi » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:34 am

Is that's some kind of joke that I don't get? :D
I mean, how many athletes are there on a proper comparable competitive level are there?

But yeah, as long as it doesn't cost any resources for the proper tour it is just some additional content for the no wind days. Let's see..

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same

Postby Toby » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:47 am

just give the Strapless Freestyle riders a foil and off they go.

Plus many more guys out there who add tricks to foiling, e.g. Florian Gruber.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:11 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:08 pm

Most of me is eager to see the accelerated progression, It's a single comp so I guess it all depends on the conditions that day, but just in general, where would this kind of comp end up?

Straps, strapless, big air, low level loops, all tech with too many spins or board twirls.

I mean competition kind of killed the style in wakestyle. Hydrofoiling doesn't really have a style yet. The big air is super impressive for its magnitude, but it's Oh so dangly. I personally want to see more development of the mid to low level strapless air work with nice stalls, looped kites, clean landings etc, As soon as its a comp tho, it becomes about how many more rotations you can fit in, instead of how dope a stalled out simple move can be.

IMHO wakestyle is best served in a freeride session. Put it in a box on a timer and you get less of the critical aesthetic and more and more tech. The foiling in my dreams is modelled off the best of free riding ideals. I kind of liked that the style of foiling I want to pursue is not seen in competition.

I guess we will see.
I feel likewise. Sports that blend athleticism, daring, and style risk getting their soul sucked out in competitions. EG a huge air fully boned out with maximum style gets way less points than the 3 gyrations becoming 3.5 or super technically difficult multiple grabs mid-trick, that frankly look frantic and terrible. IMHO of course, each to their own style and interests.

Maybe a more interesting model to follow is the Expression Session format ... travelling roadshow of the best riders going to the best spots, ripping it up for the spectators and videos, no judges, the participants peer vote for the awards after each sessoin, Most Radical Move, Going Biggest, Style Master, etc.

Recount of 70s surf attempt:
https://www.surfer.com/blogs/eos/1970-e ... n-session/
Gerry Lopez: “In its very essence, all that a surfer could dream of. An art show rather than a competition. Twenty top surfers expressing themselves without all the usual contest hassles and rules. Just surf to your heart’s content and pick up a check for $200.”

Of course it failed miserably there for a number of reasons. But this is a different context. I picture less surf comp and more Nitro Circus.

Though I have to admit to some doubt about the wider appeal of freestyle foiling ... around here, those who do foiling love it, and then much of the rest of the kite community it's as lame as lame gets, the butt of jokes, where old kiters go to pasture, etc. Will big dangly spin-o-ramas and handle passes actually help make this seem cool? :jump:
These users thanked the author juandesooka for the post:
jumptheshark (Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:02 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same

Postby Toby » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:34 pm

As I say over years...make it a show !

Judges are no good idea, too biased.

Pay the riders traveling costs and some extra cash...and start the show !

All will be a winner then 👍🏻

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:40 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:08 pm

I guess we will see.
I think it's more in the set up of the format and scoring that kills the freestyle and wakestyle disciplines. I all ways thought heats should be finite amount of tacks for tricks to be performed. More in line with other board sports. Riders should submit what tricks they are going to attempt and their run should have a maximum score based off the difficulty of the tricks. Then score the riders against the run and not just say you have this many minutes to score on these few tricks.

I really like cablepark format of 2 passes and 1 wildcard. So say 10 tacks 5 tricks both ways and bonuses points for transition tricks. Set up a clear distance you can go downwind and if you cross that on tack 8 your run is over. Then have a wildcard trick at the end of the run.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:59 am

Current comp disciplines, any I missed?

Formula racing
Open foil
Boardercross
Park
Airstyle
Freestyle
Wakestyle
Big air
Kiteloop