Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kiteboarding apps for Garmin watches

Postby mrradlos » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:26 pm

aleks wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:13 pm
Couple updates:

- Pure kitesurfing app for Garmin will be released soon (no WOO necessary). I tried to incorporate in it everything I could think of. Any suggestions are wellcome :thumb: !

- The existing WOO app for Garmin was updated to include Map view (for WOO compatible watches with installed map only)
That's great! Still waiting for a Garmin App for Kitesurfing. Of course the most important thing for such a app is, that it can record and show the hight (and perhaps even the hangtime) of your last jump! :!: You can't use airpressure or gps-data (altitude) as they are not accurrate, but you have to use the abilty of the watches to messure the acceleration fairly accurate!

Second thing the app should be able to do is to show me the time of the day and perhaps even give me a little alarm-warning, that the 6 houer-session is over now and it's time to head back to my wive and keep my promise to be back on time this time... :oops:

aleks
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Ontario
Gear: RDB, Elf
Brand Affiliation: WOO, RDB, Elf

Postby aleks » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:23 pm

mrradlos wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:26 pm

That's great! Still waiting for a Garmin App for Kitesurfing. Of course the most important thing for such a app is, that it can record and show the hight (and perhaps even the hangtime) of your last jump! :!: You can't use airpressure or gps-data (altitude) as they are not accurrate, but you have to use the abilty of the watches to messure the acceleration fairly accurate!
There is the WOO Kite app for showing jump height. The new kitesurfing watch app will not replicate WOO functionality - it will be speed and track plus a bunch of fields related to that.

mrradlos
Rare Poster
Gear: Core XR 7m2 + XR4 11m2
Flysurfer Peak 2 4m2 + Peak 6m2
Peter Lynn Hornet 2 3m2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby mrradlos » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:24 am

aleks wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:07 pm

I'm also starting development of a kitesurfing dedicated Garmin app for people without WOO. Everyone please feel free to request the features you would like to see there. Thanks :thumb:
I'm a person without a WOO, but with a Garmin watch that can meassure acceleration! We don't need an other Garmin app that records our track, shows our speed, our pulse ... all the standard Garmin Apps can do that very well. But there is no App that can show jump height and airtime.

Aberdovy kiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 83 kgs
Local Beach: West coastline of mid wales, encompassing aberdovy, harlech, borth, barmouth
Favorite Beaches: Aberdovy mid wales
Style: Freestyle, freeride
Gear: Duotone evo sls 12m
Duotone 9m evo
Duotone 7m dice
Flysurfer 15m speed delux
Nobile T5 140x44
Crazyfly raptor extreme 132x41 2023

Postby Aberdovy kiter » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:59 am

Is it possible to replicate the surfr app on a smart watch?

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:27 am

The Garmin wind and waves widged has been broken for some time. That would be useful info for me.

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:11 pm

mrradlos wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:24 am
We don't need an other Garmin app that records our track, shows our speed, our pulse ... all the standard Garmin Apps can do that very well. But there is no App that can show jump height and airtime.
None of the native Garmin apps create "Kiteboarding" type of activity. If you are ok with your activity being "Boat" or something else, then yes, you don't need another app.

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:17 pm

Aberdovy kiter wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:59 am
Is it possible to replicate the surfr app on a smart watch?
WOO has no plans to use watch to measure jump heigh, mainly because it will never be as accurate as board mounted WOO. "Sessions" app for Apple Watch has this functionality (it is created by Xensr team as far as I know). You can try that - for me the results were wildly inaccurate.

notamondayperson
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Castelldefels, Sant Pere Pescador
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Freeride - Old school
Gear: Core XR6 12M
Core XR5 9m
Core XR4 7m
Core XR4 15m
Core Sensor 3+ Bar
Board: Clash Reincarnation 140cm

Postby notamondayperson » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:18 am

aleks wrote:
Couple updates:

- Pure kitesurfing app for Garmin will be released soon (no WOO necessary). I tried to incorporate in it everything I could think of. Any suggestions are wellcome :thumb: !

- The existing WOO app for Garmin was updated to include Map view (for WOO compatible watches with installed map only)
Hi!
Thanks for your hard work mantaining the woo app on garmin.
I have noticed since last update, that when you pause the session, the activity time on the bottom "keeps counting" (excuse my english).
So if I pause the activity at 45min, the counter of minutes at the bottom does not stop, making it useless to pause the session, as after a 30' pause, the activity time would be 1:15 instead of the actual 45'. I hope i made myself undestood.
Would you be so kind in lookin into it?
Thanks,

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:29 pm

notamondayperson wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:18 am
aleks wrote:
Couple updates:

Hi!
Thanks for your hard work mantaining the woo app on garmin.
I have noticed since last update, that when you pause the session, the activity time on the bottom "keeps counting" (excuse my english).
So if I pause the activity at 45min, the counter of minutes at the bottom does not stop, making it useless to pause the session, as after a 30' pause, the activity time would be 1:15 instead of the actual 45'. I hope i made myself undestood.
Would you be so kind in lookin into it?
Thanks,
Thanks for reporting this :thumb: . I recently switched the app to use "elapsed" time reported by Garmin session. I was expecting that Garmin would handle the Pause internally, but looks like it doesn't. I'll switch back to calculating elapsed time manually in the next version of the app.

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:15 pm

Hi, I just published a big update to Garmin watch app.
Version 2.0.0 (current)
- Settings are moved to the watch - phone is no longer needed to change them. If you had any settings (like background color or Min jump) before, you will need to re-do them on the watch, they couldn't be transferred.
- Added GPS indicator: grey color - no GPS signal, red - low quality signal, green - good signal
- Added setting to use GPS, GPS+Glonass, or GPS+Galileo (if available on the watch) for faster signal acquisition and better accuracy.
- Add speed and "distance to start point" to the Map view (on watches supporting preloaded Maps)
- Updated connection progress indicator to use progress bar instead of text
- Prepared for Garmin to WOO integration: app creates new Garmin Activity when Woo switched, syncs watch time to WOO on connection
- Fixed elapsed time not pausing
These users thanked the author aleks for the post (total 2):
notamondayperson (Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:43 am) • Leon van Bergen (Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:26 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Kitesurfing”