Which footstrap Naish or Cabrinha

Forum for kitesurfers
gator1
Medium Poster
Gear: TT, surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Which footstrap Naish or Cabrinha

Postby gator1 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:18 pm

I am considering the Naish Apex or Cabrinha H2O footstraps.

Has anyone owned both?

Which would be the better choice in terms of:

1. Solid, secure fit and
2. Shock absorption and cushioning.

I've demoed many footstraps and settled on these two as my favourite but still not sold on either one.

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Re: Which footstrap Naish or Cabrinha

Postby SMJ » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:55 pm

gator1 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:18 pm

Has anyone owned both?

1. Solid, secure fit and

I've demoed many footstraps and settled on these two as my favourite but still not sold on either one.
Hi gator1,
I have owned the Naish Apex, Cabrinha H2O, Cabrinha H1, Cabrinha H2 (no longer made), and many others. Last year I went on a search for the ulimate footstrap and bought and demo'ed a bunch.

BLUF: Between those 2 choices I'd go with the Naish Apex.

I cannot recommend the Cab H2O, since they have bungees and do not secure to the feet well IMHO. I actually don't like these straps at all.

The Apex is a good binding - perhaps a wee cheap in construction, but this makes it nice and light.

Take a look at the Cab H1; this has more shock absorption and is built to last, but the Apex will fit a little tighter with its dual straps.

Some other straps I've owned and cannot recommend include: Duotone Entity, Carved Ultra, and the Ocean Rodeo Bliss 2.0 (with the ratchet - they've since changed these and the 3.0 version looks much better).

My current favorite strap is the Core Union Pro 2, but beware - this strap has a 6.5" hole spacing and will not fit most boards.
These users thanked the author SMJ for the post:
gator1 (Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:43 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:56 pm

hands down Naish Apex are best straps/pads I ever had.
They hold and snug foots very well. There used to be a problem with riding them with booties and they came only in small size but in recent years you can have large size and it should be better.
Only cons IMHO they keep feet tight so if you want to bail board its more difficult to get your foot out of strap, it would be more difficult to get foot in & out for board off trick but you can always leave strap loose.

gator1
Medium Poster
Gear: TT, surfboard

Postby gator1 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:05 pm

SMJ wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:55 pm
gator1 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:18 pm

Has anyone owned both?

1. Solid, secure fit and

Hi gator1,
I have owned the Naish Apex, Cabrinha H2O, Cabrinha H1, Cabrinha H2 (no longer made), and many others. Last year I went on a search for the ulimate footstrap and bought and demo'ed a bunch.

BLUF: Between those 2 choices I'd go with the Naish Apex.

I cannot recommend the Cab H2O, since they have bungees and do not secure to the feet well IMHO. I actually don't like these straps at all.

The Apex is a good binding - perhaps a wee cheap in construction, but this makes it nice and light.

Take a look at the Cab H1; this has more shock absorption and is built to last, but the Apex will fit a little tighter with its dual straps.

Some other straps I've owned and cannot recommend include: Duotone Entity, Carved Ultra, and the Ocean Rodeo Bliss 2.0 (with the ratchet - they've since changed these and the 3.0 version looks much better).

My current favorite strap is the Core Union Pro 2, but beware - this strap has a 6.5" hole spacing and will not fit most boards.
Thanks for the info SMJ.

I had the Cabrinha H2 and I am used to the two strap setup. The H2 was really good, foot never slipped out and was so plush it felt bouncy.

The Core Union Pro 2 actually looks pretty good but wont fit my board. With the Cabrinha H2O you can use the straps under the pad to set the fit, then tighten with the dual straps on top. Is the bungees you were referring to, the neoprene straps under the footpad? because I dont remember any bungees.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:03 pm

I'm curious if anyone has experience with AK Durable Ether Element footstraps? The teal colored ones are pretty!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:16 pm

the dual straps of the apex is a winner for me. Also that they are relatively easy to do on the fly adjustments.

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Postby SMJ » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:48 am

gator1 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:05 pm
Is the bungees you were referring to, the neoprene straps under the footpad? because I dont remember any bungees.
Watch this video. You can see the bungee in action at 1:40. This flex-back made board-offs very difficult without loosening the binding to a silly degree. This flex also made riding in booties feel very strange.

That being said, footstraps are like regular shoes - what some people hate about a strap other people love. The H2O's just weren't for me. I like the H1's and still have a pair on one of my boards. The H2's were great but really heavy.

galzohar
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Old school and kiteloops
Gear: Duotone Rebel 13m 2023
North Orbit 9m 2023
North Atmos Carbon 138x41

Postby galzohar » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:07 pm

Haven't had the chance to try the high-end Cabrinha straps, but the lower-end ones were horrible, and I use the Naish Apex and love them, they would be pretty tough to beat.

Return to “Kitesurfing”