Forum for kitesurfers
Mikkelza
Medium Poster
Gear: Wave + foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Airush Session - share experiences and ask questions

Postby Mikkelza » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:09 am

Dear fellow-kitesurfer,

I recently dedicated to Airush, starting with a quiver of Session kites: 5m2, 6m2, 8m2 and the Ultra bar.
I will use the kites with a wave/surf-board, and a bit with hydrofoil (freeride, small waves) - but for ligthwind foiling I have Peak4 6m2 and 8m2.

I though it would be great with a thread where we can share experiences and ask questions to the Airush Session kite.

So far, I have been riding the 6m2 a bit, and the 8m2 the most, during the past 2 months.

Impression so far:
- Quick responding kite (I did not know that a 8m2 kite could be that fun in waves, since I am used to 7m2 or smaller)

- Great depower

- flies quit much forward in the wind-window - more than I am used to from my previous wave-kites. Consequently, the kite can feel a little unstable in gusty conditions

- interesting with the bridle switch option (pulleys vs. fixed). I was certain that the pulleys would slow down the kite too much, but that has not been the case. The kite is quite fast with pulleys also. Pulleys make it more soft. Fixed bridle make the depower more on/off. I am not sure if the two bridle options affect how far forward the kite flies in the wind-window, but with pulleys it has been easier to keep the kite at the edge of the wind-window while doing a cutback/top-turn at the top of the wave. I am more used to (in cross-onshore wind) steer the kite through the wind-window, but it has been quite fun to keep the Session at the edge of the wind-window (more or less, at least minimal steering)

- high quality feel
20220614_081042.jpg
Last edited by Mikkelza on Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elmarco
Medium Poster

Re: Airush Session - share experiences and ask questions

Postby elmarco » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:48 pm

I've been using the 8m session quite a bit lately.
I spent a week in Cabarete recently mostly only riding it surf and foil and I loved it.

I've also spent some time on the 12m and 9m on a twin tip and was pleasantly surprised.
It's a really fun kite to do small loops on. It's fast, but still gives you a lot of power on the loop, so it's quite forgiving, but satisfying.

I usually ride Unions & Ultras, and I tried lift's and Lithium's, but I'm gravitating more towards the session as a do it all.

alfredo68
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Style: wave
Gear: blade AR wave

Postby alfredo68 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:51 am

Love my wave 9 mts, best kite ever, i use it from 15 knots to 28 or whatever, big wind range. Turn s in a dime. Super easy to loop..Fast! I t s always where i want him to be.
Didn t like the wave 12 tho. Too slow so bought an Ultra 10 to replace the 12 Didn t like it. Good for light wind but it had small wind range and struggle whith the strong gust so bought a wave 10 that haven t tried it yet.
I wonder if are there any differences between the waves or session or just a change of name.
Any one that can compare these kites with other wave especific kites?

happytrees
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 80
Gear: custom

Postby happytrees » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:13 am

alfredo68 wrote:
Hello :D
I got 12m and 7m wave and only just picked up 10m wave and also have a 9m neo.
The 2020 9m neo is only a little faster than my 12m wave :o and has 2 settings on the bridle for depower.
The high depower setting gives the neo slightly better drift than the wave kites.
I mainly ride cross-on and cross-cross-on with the odd crosshore day in 3-8ft gutless windswell always downwind- down the line.
So most of power is needed from the KITE for speed to hammer sections. Faster the kite, faster from bottom-top-bottom-top turns.
This is where the wave shines.
The 7m is freaking good/fast and I'm hanging to get the 10m out.
:thumb:

alfredo68
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Style: wave
Gear: blade AR wave

Postby alfredo68 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:16 pm

happytrees wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:13 am
alfredo68 wrote:
Hello :D
I got 12m and 7m wave and only just picked up 10m wave and also have a 9m neo.
The 2020 9m neo is only a little faster than my 12m wave :o and has 2 settings on the bridle for depower.
The high depower setting gives the neo slightly better drift than the wave kites.
I mainly ride cross-on and cross-cross-on with the odd crosshore day in 3-8ft gutless windswell always downwind- down the line.
So most of power is needed from the KITE for speed to hammer sections. Faster the kite, faster from bottom-top-bottom-top turns.
This is where the wave shines.
The 7m is freaking good/fast and I'm hanging to get the 10m out.
:thumb:
Tried my new wave 10 yesterday and loved it. A bit weird but my kites are 10 , 9, 7 waves after not liking wave 12 and ultra 10. (13 knots to 35 aprox)

iwave
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Coyote Point, CA
Style: Freestyle, starting foiling
Gear: Airush Diamond V1 7, 9 and 12. Blankforce MK5 & Advisory

Postby iwave » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:30 pm

I know the Session is mostly a wave kite, but it is also presented as a good all-around kite, so I was wondering how good is it for unhooking?
Does anyone have experience unhooking on the Session (with or without pulleys)?
How good was it? What size were you using? Would it backstall while unhooking in less powered conditions (of the kite range)?

ced1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cannon Rocks
Favorite Beaches: Cannon Rocks, Flag Beach, Anse la Raie, Witsands, Dolphin beach
Style: Big air, wave riding
Gear: Airush, Underwave

Postby ced1 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:14 pm

Hi,

I've been riding Airush Session 9m and 6m.

After trying the Pulley bridle, I settled on the fixed bridle option. I prefer the more direct feel. But I guess that is down to personal feel.

Both the 9m and 6m can be worked and therefore squeeze bottom end of their range. I use them mostly in cross and cross off conditions and have found them to drift nicely.

I have also taken to using the session in free ride mode, and have thrown some pretty serious loops on them. The 9m on slightly shorter lines actually loops pretty well. Off course it is a different loop to an open C shape. It doesn't have the horizontal pull. But it's not bad at all. The 6m I only loop in really strong winds and that is a pretty fast looper!

I can't comment too much on unhooking as I only do very basic freestyle with just raileys and the odd Sbend when I'm feeling adventurous. Didn't find the Session to backstall (On fixed bridle that is)

Here is a little loop session with the 9m Session:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLcns98j39B/

Ced

j_dog
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Canada
Style: Strapless surf/foil strapless
Gear: Airush/Ocean Rodeo
Been thanked: 0

Postby j_dog » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:39 am

Been using the Airush Wave for a while, first with the '15 Wave and the '19 Wave (7m,9m and 12m) for strapless surfing.

I want to upgrade to the Sessions kites after this summer so its nice to read some first hand reviews on them. Even the '19 Waves have great de-power and drift and in the swell and waves they perform great.

I agree with one of the earlier posts, the 12m is a bit of a pig of a kite, but the 9m and 7m have been amazing (use with pulleys).

Most of the other kiters on my beach use Drifters or Roam kites so haven't had the chance to try the Sessions yet. But if they perform better then the Wave kite I am excited to get them shortly. :thumb:

Mikkelza
Medium Poster

Postby Mikkelza » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:17 pm

Airush Session review

Background and disclosure
For a long time, I have been looking for new kites. I tried various brands (borrowed from friends and demos from dealers). However, I have stuck to the same quiver of wave kites since 2017. Until now. I would like to share this with you.

I bought a quiver of Airush Session kites. I went for 5m2, 6m2 and 8m2, which is a great combination of sizes to my weight and the conditions I typically kitesurf in (being 70 kg, Zealand, Denmark, wind generated waves).

Disclosure: I bought a complete package, with discount, from www.airush-kites.dk, but the dealer has nothing to do with me writing this review.

Introduction
Airush Session is Airush’s take on a wave kite.
A wave kite should:
- Stear fast and easy,
- Have good relaunch,
- Greate depower, and
- Be stable in the wind-window with good drift.
I mostly use a surfboard and a hydrofoil - but wave kites will also be great for beginners or those who would like an easy and reliable kite.

Briefly about construction
The Session has a rather small diameter leading edge, 3 struts, fairly compact design, and then Airush did the cloth with so-called ‘load frame’, which is a fiber sewed into the cloth like a spiderweb, so that the kite shall not stretch over time.
Read more here: https://airush.com/news/airush-innovati ... echnology/

To me, it seems like a super solid, really premium and pretty lightweight kite. Airush make a big deal of describing the technical aspects in the Airush gear. Also, Airush informs about the weights of the kites. Great!
Read more about the Session here: https://airush.com/kites/session-kite/
load frame.jpg

My impression
I tried various wave-kites throughout the years, but not any Airush kites previously. My first impression was, that the Session flies further forward in the wind-window than I am used to. This can be negative for drifting and how fast/easy it is to get the kite to turn. A lot of moden wave-kites are, however, designed like this, to also give possibility for jumps and strapless freestyle. This is not for me, so I was a little skeptical when when I went in the water for the first time.
After I have used the Session I can tell, that the kite flies delicately easy, is stable both powered and depowered, has a fair amount of bar-pressure, steers fast, and in the wave it is - luckily! - a joy to turn the kite hard and fast without a lot of power generation. Actually, I was surprised that I could focused so much on the wave board and the waves with the Session - especially since spring did not give me so many days with powerful wind and waves, and the rust of winter had to be knocked off with several months off the water.

I have been on the kite for 6 months. I have kitesurfing in the best conditions within driving range, more chaotic conditions in my home-spot, perfect sideshore and tricky cross-on wind. Airush Session for everything.

Still, I have not used the Session with a hydrofoil. I look forward to, since freeride with a hydrofoil and a wave-kite is super fun.

Bridle - two different options
As something unique the Session comes with two different bridles.

Bridles with pulleys and bridles without pulleys (also named fixed bridles).
Session-V1-shape.png
Session-V1-shape.png (32.91 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
I have been using both types of bridles on the Session. Sometimes I have changed during the same session (with the Session). With pulleys the Session is more soft and more calm steering, the kite absorbs gust and the steering is good even with the bar depowered.
With fixed bridles the steeing may be a bit more direct, there is still good depower, actually very quick depower (may more on/off depower?) and I think I can get the kite a little faster turned deep in the wind window.

I am not done testing the two different bridle options, and even though it is most realistic that the user will stick with one set of bridles, I can actually see the idea that the two different bridle options can be used in different situations. Perhaps even different pulleys depending on bigger or smaller kites. I think it is cool to have the option, and it does not take long to change the bridles once you have tried it a few times..

Bar
I have been using the Airush Ultra bar, a simple bar, where trimming is not possible while on the water. It gives the bar a rather clean look.
The bar har an extra long depower throw. It works quite well while on the water, but I find that the kite can be a little unstable when standing on land with the kite placed 12 o’clock and the bar fully depowered. The Ultra bar has a stopper ball, so the bar can be hold a little powered, and this way the kite is not unstable.
20_Airush_Ultra Bar.png
A nice feature with Airush bars is the quick release/chicken loop. It reconnects with a simple click, like a seat belt.
The lines are thinner and less coated than I am used to from other brands. Lets see how the durability is over time.
After 4 months of use I noted that the front lines and steering lines were not equal length any more. This is not something to worry about, though. I have experiences from other bars that the lines stretch or shrink a bit. It was easy to make the lines equal length again - by anchoring the lines to a fixed point and stretching the steering lines a bit longer.

Line length
A really cool thing with the Ultra bar is that it comes with 19 meter + 4 meter lines.This makes standard 23 meter lines, but you can take of the 4 meter lines and then have 19 meter. I prefer shorter lines, and this is something that cost quite a bit to get adjusted.
And then, when I need longer lines, I can add the 4 meter lines again. Great job, Airush!

Chicken loop and ‘rope-slider’
Another great feature with the Ultra bar is that the bar comes with an ordinary chicken loop, but also a rope-slider, used with a rope on your harness instead of a hook. I am keen on using a rope slider when foiling. In waves I have experienced too big friction, when I use a ordinary chicken loop and rope. The movement of the chicken loop gets too slow. I look forward to try the Airush metal rope slider in waves.
Read more about the Ultra bar: https://airush.com/control-bars/ultra-bar/
wave.jpg
Pictures borrowed from Airush.com
These users thanked the author Mikkelza for the post:
jjm (Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:34 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Mikkelza
Medium Poster

Postby Mikkelza » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:01 pm